StretchDog

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
wiak

Re: apt2sfs full install

#301 Post by wiak »

ras wrote:Hi Fredx181 and others,

Looking at the apt2sfs utility I see an apt2sfs full install version. I assume this is for use if you have a fully installed stretch rather than a frugal install?

Coming from puppy, I have been happy with frugal installs, but since this is a dog...

Is there an advantage or reason to reconsider using full installs with dogs?

thanks
Good question, I've never myself used anything but frugal Dog installs and have occasionally wondered what apt2sfs full install version is all about. I think the majority of Dog users use it in frugal installs, much like Puppy though.

wiak

Ether

#302 Post by Ether »

dancytron wrote:Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Some big applications that run mostly independently of the main system, get put into /opt.

Most browsers, google earth, thunderbird, etc.

Those are the things that you can link out to /live/image.
There is no "image" folder in my "live" folder. Do I have to manually create it ?

dancytron

#303 Post by dancytron »

Ether wrote:
dancytron wrote:Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Some big applications that run mostly independently of the main system, get put into /opt.

Most browsers, google earth, thunderbird, etc.

Those are the things that you can link out to /live/image.
There is no "image" folder in my "live" folder. Do I have to manually create it ?

The /live/image in the linux file system.

/live/image should be the same as /mnt/home in Puppy (the partition that Debian Dog is installed on).

If you can't find it, don't create anything, wait for Fred.
Attachments
2020-03-07-224209_1280x1024_scrot.png
(28.88 KiB) Downloaded 404 times

fredx181

#304 Post by fredx181 »

enrique wrote:I am sorry here I am again. This time I am looking for the 32bit compatibility squash for the AMD64. Or the other name architecture-i386. I tried to make one but I always end up with "E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages."

Code: Select all

dpkg --add-architecture i386
apt-get update
apt-get install libstdc++6:i386 libgcc1:i386 zlib1g:i386 libncurses5:i386 libc6:i386 glib-2.0:i386
The package if available will be nice or can you tell me What I am missing?

Thanks in advance
That's because package glib-2.0 doesn't exist (I assume you meant libglib2.0-0).

This is what I'd use as 32 compatibility base:
(probably depending on which Stretch you use (custom build or StretchDog), the preferences file needs to be moved to preferences.bak)

dpkg --add-architecture i386
apt-get update
mv -f /etc/apt/preferences /etc/apt/preferences.bak # must do this, otherwise errors
apt-get install libc6:i386 libatk1.0-0:i386 libcairo2:i386 libfontconfig1:i386 libfreetype6:i386 libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0:i386 libglib2.0-0:i386 libgtk2.0-0:i386 libgtk-3-0:i386 libpango1.0-0:i386 libsm6:i386 libxext6:i386 libxrender1:i386 libxt6:i386 libasound2:i386 libdbus-glib-1-2:i386
Fred

fredx181

#305 Post by fredx181 »

ras wrote:Hi Fredx181 and others,

Looking at the apt2sfs utility I see an apt2sfs full install version. I assume this is for use if you have a fully installed stretch rather than a frugal install?

Coming from puppy, I have been happy with frugal installs, but since this is a dog...

Is there an advantage or reason to reconsider using full installs with dogs?

thanks
I see more disavantages of a full install than advantages, AFAIK the only advantage can be (if installed on hard disk) that a full install may be a litlle faster (and boot faster) and a little less RAM consuming at initial boot.

Note that running a full install has been not much tested (most people have frugal install, I guess)

Fred

fredx181

#306 Post by fredx181 »

*** Some changes and fixes in custom repository ***

Added:
Image pmusic, adopted from Puppy, thanks to zigbert ! - thread on murga-linux

Image pequalizer, adopted from Puppy (some modification was required to make it work with the newest libasound-equal), thanks to 01micko ! - thread on murga-linux
(requires newest gtkdialog package, see below)

Image straw-viewer, https://github.com/trizen/straw-viewer replacement for 'youtube-viewer' (and gtk-youtube-viewer) that does not work anymore because of a change at the google/youtube end.
Straw-viewer is a fork of youtube-viewer (by the same author: trizen ), based on gtk3, installing it will remove the youtube-viewer package.
See also Here
EDIT: Recommended to run from Menu > Multimedia > Gtk-Youtube-updater, to update/install newest youtube-dl (helper program for straw-viewer)
EDIT: Problems with running gtk-straw-viewer, see discussion below. EDIT: fixed with v0.0.2-2, see below.

Fixed:
Image gtkdialog, forum member wiak fixed a small bug for gtkwialog (gtkdialog is symlink to gtkwialog in the package) making 'comboboxentry' work properly.

Install with Synaptic or from terminal with apt.

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Tue 10 Mar 2020, 11:08, edited 2 times in total.

dancytron

#307 Post by dancytron »

fredx181 wrote:*** Some changes and fixes in custom repository ***

/snip

Image straw-viewer, https://github.com/trizen/straw-viewer replacement for 'youtube-viewer' (and gtk-youtube-viewer) that does not work anymore because of a change at the google/youtube end.
Straw-viewer is a fork of youtube-viewer (by the same author: trizen ), based on gtk3, installing it will remove the youtube-viewer package.
See also Here
EDIT: Recommended to run from Menu > Multimedia > Gtk-Youtube-updater, to update/install newest youtube-dl (helper program for straw-viewer)

/snip

Install with Synaptic or from terminal with apt.

Fred
Installed the straw-viewer.

I get this error when attempting to run it.
root@ChromeDog64:~# gtk-straw-viewer
WARNING **: Error retrieving accessibility bus address: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.a11y.Bus was not provided by any .service files at /usr/share/perl5/Gtk3.pm line 529.
Failed to open file '../share/gtk-straw-viewer.glade': No such file or directory at /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl5/5.24/Glib/Object/Introspection.pm line 67.
root@ChromeDog64:~#
This is in my normal Debian Stretch with systemd turned on.

I'll try it later in a different version to see.

enrique

#308 Post by enrique »

fredx181 Thanks for the info. Will be using it very soon. I did end up loading wine in multiarchture. It loads most of the libraries. Yes I was wrong on glib.

fredx181

#309 Post by fredx181 »

dancytron wrote:Installed the straw-viewer.

I get this error when attempting to run it.

Quote:
root@ChromeDog64:~# gtk-straw-viewer
WARNING **: Error retrieving accessibility bus address: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.a11y.Bus was not provided by any .service files at /usr/share/perl5/Gtk3.pm line 529.
Failed to open file '../share/gtk-straw-viewer.glade': No such file or directory at /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl5/5.24/Glib/Object/Introspection.pm line 67.
root@ChromeDog64:~#
Mmm... got that too now.. the weird thing is that it depends on from where you run it, e.g.

cd /usr/share/applications; gtk-straw-viewer
works for me, for you too ?
Also:

cd /root/Desktop; gtk-straw-viewer
works for me.
Can't figure out the reason for this behaviour.

Fred

dancytron

#310 Post by dancytron »

I created a new minimal stretch install. It works now from clicking the .desktop file.

When I run it from the terminal, I get the error, but it opens up anyway and works.

Maybe the error isn't the problem, but something else.

root@live:~# gtk-straw-viewer

I'll look at it some more tomorrow.

edit

I found /usr/share/perl5/auto/share/dist/WWW-StrawViewer/gtk-straw-viewer.glade and it runs if I open the terminal from /usr/share/perl5/auto/share/dist/WWW-StrawViewer/, so it is some kind of a path issue or there needs to be a link made somewhere.

I am going to try to purge and reinstall.

Purged and reinstall.

Behavior is the same.
Mmm... got that too now.. the weird thing is that it depends on from where you run it, e.g.
Code:
cd /usr/share/applications; gtk-straw-viewer

works for me, for you too ?
Also:
Code:
cd /root/Desktop; gtk-straw-viewer

works for me.
Can't figure out the reason for this behaviour.
Yes, same for me.

It is a mystery

fredx181

#311 Post by fredx181 »

dancytron wrote:When I run it from the terminal, I get the error, but it opens up anyway and works.
That I haven't seen yet, you mean the error not finding the .glade file ?
For me it always quits with that error.
It is a mystery
Sure it is !

Anyway, I've uploaded a new .deb, v0.0.2-1 with a (ugly) workaround, containing a wrapper script /usr/local/bin/gtk-straw-viewer with contents:
...... <deleted code>
...... <deleted code>
See EDIT below

Also the message "....The name org.a11y.Bus was not provided by any .service file...." doesn't show anymore. (but doesn't solve the initial issue).

EDIT: version 0.0.2-2 uploaded without ugly workaround (made small change in gtk-straw-viewer script that fixes the ".glade file not found" problem)

Fred

gabtech

Zoom video conferencing app

#312 Post by gabtech »

Has anyone tried zoom in stretchdog?

fredx181

Re: Zoom video conferencing app

#313 Post by fredx181 »

gabtech wrote:Has anyone tried zoom in stretchdog?
Yes, works fine for me.

Fred

gabtech

Zoom

#314 Post by gabtech »

Hi Fred,

I followed the instructions for installing zoom in linux @ zoom website, but when I launch it in terminal I get output in attached screenshot, pls help.
Attachments
zoom.png
(109.18 KiB) Downloaded 51 times

rcrsn51

#315 Post by rcrsn51 »

It looks like you need the extra package libxcb-xtest0.

gabtech

zoom

#316 Post by gabtech »

Hi rcrsn51,

Where can I get libxcb-xtest0?

rcrsn51

#317 Post by rcrsn51 »

From the Debian Stretch repo

apt-get install libxcb-xtest0

gabtech

Zoom

#318 Post by gabtech »

Hi rcrsn51,

I installed libxcb-xtest0, but I still get the errors in screenshot.
Attachments
zoom2.png
(168.88 KiB) Downloaded 51 times

fredx181

#319 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Gabtech, looking at the message "could not initialize GLX" in your screenshot it could mean that you need to install libgl1-mesa-dri (if not already installed).

apt install libgl1-mesa-dri
Fred

gabtech

Zoom in stretchdog(solved)

#320 Post by gabtech »

Thank you rcrsn51 and fred your your help. Zoom now running in stretchdog32.