Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 29 May 2020, 16:20
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
EasyOS version 2.3, May 29, 2020
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 163 of 166 [2488 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166 Next
E3D3

PostPosted: Thu 09 Apr 2020, 09:53    Post subject:  Feedback
Subject description: Some feedback for version 2.2.16

Some feedback about my v2.2.16 experiences.

For me is this EasyOS the best of all "puppies".
Normally I encounter some issues within the first 15 minutes on almost every OS, but with EasyOS 2.2.16 it took almost 2 days.
I'm very happy that the WIFI connection for most of my laptops is much better than before, so I don't need my USB WIFI-adaptor anymore.
The retro-look has style (IMHO) and everything I try WORKS. Even the Debian-apps I installed via petget. I didn't use sfsget yet, but the window opens without error-messages.

So far I have only 2 issues.
One is that setting global keybindings with the GUI app don't work as expected. When assigning new keybindings to an action, the old keybindings remain, so I had to comment those in the keybinding file (root/.jwmrc) to deactivate the old keybindings. Strange enough do I see now that this file is renamed to .jwmrc-previous, that the new .jwmrc has the orginal lines uncommented, but it still works correct, cq uses the file /root/jwm/jwmrc-personal. Don't know why it now works as expected but not before, even after reboot/restarting WM & X server.

Edit 20200410:
After some reboots the old default keybindings are suddenly active again, without any change in the configuration. This is really crazy.
Any idea how I can solve this ?

The second issue is with SeaMonkey. I saw in the main-menu SeaMonkey IRC chat client, clicked this, but couldn't find the chat client when SeaMonkey opened. Even chatting (with another app) with #seamonkey@freenode didn't help, cq told that I need to install Chatzilla as browser plugin from the Mozilla site. I think that the menu item should be removed, or tell what you should do to get it working.
Another problem with Seamonkey is that I hide the menubar, and couldn't get it back with most often used keybindings. When trying different keys & -combinations, I found help under F1, that give the wrong keybindings for showing the menubar again. It is not the alt-key but Alt-V, or F10 (that many app use for exit).
I like that Seamonkey uses less resources but beside this is it a pain in the ..., with non-custumizable button-placement, statusbar, big icons (the biggest for a useless link to their home page) and other restrictions. This is not the responsibility of EasyOS, and I don't know what to advice as a better webbrowser.

Beside these 2-3 issues everything works great, not good, but really great. I installed all my favorite/essential programs much quicker and easies than it does in my many other tweaked distro's.
And I'm superhappy that I could install a recent enough Emacs-version, which was for years the only bottleneck for me to use "puppies" as primaire OS.

The little help in almost every EasyOS programs is more than nice and also the other documentation. Its very readable & understandable for me, friendly and not pedant cq very un-Linux.

Big respect and thanks for making and sharing this OS, for all the work around but most for the integrity of it all.

Best regards E3D3
E3D3

PostPosted: Fri 10 Apr 2020, 09:37    Post subject: sfs files
Subject description: Deleting a container didn't delete the sfs file

I installed as sfsget tryout the devx-package, stupid enough in a container, forgetting the advice I have read.
I removed it with the Easy Container Manager from the main menu by selecting it from the dropdown list and a click on the button 'Delete container: delete & exit',
but the sfs file (>200MB) and many other small files with names starting with devx in different folders are still present.
Is this normal ? And how can I clean/remove everything from the devx package ? Is there a file that list what was exactly installed with the devx package ?
GuillaumeD

PostPosted: Sat 11 Apr 2020, 04:58    Post subject: easydd unusable "status=progress"  

Hi, first I apologize you for this amazing works.
I love your pragmatic approach for all tools/concept.

(http://distro.ibiblio.org/easyos/amd64/releases/buster/2.2.16/easy-2.2.16-amd64.img.gz)

booting live USB easyos-fr-2.2.16, and making a install on a SDD with easydd:

Code:
easydd ./downloads/easy-2.2.16-amd64.img.gz
ERREUR: L'utilitaire dd ne prend pas en charge l'option CLI 'status=progress'

Can't launch easydd (GUI or from terminal)

It seems the dd check "progress" is english related:

Code:
#the full dd is required...
DDTEST="$(dd --help | grep 'periodic transfer statistics')"
[ ! "$DDTEST" ] && err_exit "$(gettext "dd utility does not support 'status=progress' cli option")"

so a quick fix for all langages is :
Code:
#the full dd is required...
DDTEST="$(dd --help | grep 'progress')"
[ ! "$DDTEST" ] && err_exit "$(gettext "dd utility does not support 'status=progress' cli option")"

Have you a gitlab/hub for issues/fix ?
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Mon 13 Apr 2020, 07:21    Post subject:  

Hi guys, there are some issues with 2.2.16 posted above, but my attention has been elsewhere:

https://bkhome.org/news/

...that is, the new lithium powerbox project. I prefer to keep the focus on one thing at a time, and will get back to looking at the EasyOS/Pup issues soon.

The powerbox will be ready for the next camping trip. When that will be I don't know. Here in Western Australia, we have lockdown, cannot even drive to different regions of WA. All campsites are closed.

scsijon

PostPosted: Wed 15 Apr 2020, 01:46    Post subject:  

BarryK wrote:
The powerbox will be ready for the next camping trip. When that will be I don't know. Here in Western Australia, we have lockdown, cannot even drive to different regions of WA. All campsites are closed.

Same thing here in Victoria, all publically accessable sites (both council and privately owned) are closed.

They even went to the point of closing all Public Toilet blocks except for one on the Highway of each town with signs on the others. Open hours 0700 to 1700 only. Reason apparently is so it could be maintained and sanitized properly between users. Problem occurs with missing toilet paper still happening though and breakins at night.

However to thread,
@Barry I seem to have problems reconnecting after disconnecting with the taskbar icon, a reboot fixes it, but connect button and trying via the taskbar globe rarely work (remembering i'm on nbn satellite). It has definately has become worse in the last three versions, maybe a timing problem starting to become too fast? Even gone back to the old way with no improvement. EDIT: With a little more investigation I found if with SNS I delete the existing configuration for eth0 and start again it will connect ok each time. I mean delete and start again, it fails to reconnect if attempting to connect/reconnect once started without a link up. Not sure if that's of any help.

Last edited by scsijon on Mon 20 Apr 2020, 19:38; edited 2 times in total
Rodney Byne

PostPosted: Thu 16 Apr 2020, 11:38    Post subject: Added install bootup text  

To Barry,
Ref my post on 7th April about strange added bootup text,
and hang on bootup, I eventually found the cause.

It turned out that the initial bootup coloured keyboard
selector has a bug.
On default bootup, if say No.5 is selected then entered
no password, all this strange error text scrolls down.

Instead of pressing default, you have to press the second
one, which auto-corrects the file as it proceeds.
I saw the corrector picked out an error in the No.5 keyboard
descriptor. Thereafter install proceeded normally.
I now have a good install to usb.
Regards.
mikeslr

PostPosted: Sun 19 Apr 2020, 20:35    Post subject: Just some notes from a 'Newbie'  

Having taken an interest in 'Containers' I've just gotten around to installing EasyOS 2.2.16 to a USB-Stick. So, while I'm kind of 'an old hand' where Puppy is concerned, I'm a Newbie when it comes to EasyOS.

First problem I encountered was finding the img to download. Second problem was getting it onto a USB-Stick. Destroyed one USB-Stick trying to use Etcher. So I strongly disagree with Barry K's decision to abandon ISOs as a deployment package. While it is true that few of us have or can even acquire a CD/DVD burner that doesn't mean that the ISO format is obsolete. The Wheel was probably invented as the front end of a Wheel-barrel which in our technologically sophisticated culture few of us have or have reason to acquire. But they now put wheels on Airliners* -- kind of makes it easier to take off and land. As far a I know, every reasonably recent version of Windows and every Linux distribution --Puppy included-- has an application which will directly 'burn' an ISO to a USB-Key. Abandoning the ISO format as a delivery mechanism means to use EasyOS a 'newbie' not only has to learn a different operating system but first acquire and learn a new application. Not at all "Easy".

I managed to get that job done using Mike Walsh's Easydd portable. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1031161#1031161

I was pleased to find radky's jwm-desk manager: making aesthetic customizations should be easy.

I was also pleased to find that several AppImages ran OOTB, as did the portable web-browser's I tested. I'm not a fan of unnecessarily 're-inventing the wheel'. Even though EasyOS has libreoffice and gimp built-in, the next time I boot it up I'll see if AppImages of those can run. If they do, Barry K may want to reconsider the necessity of building them in.

For anyone seeking a video editing application more powerful than avidemux, the Shotcut-200217 AppImage seems to be functional.

Some basic Qt-series 4 or Qt5 libraries may be needed for some of my frequently used applications.

I guess I'll have to learn how EasyOS use SFSes (or doesn't). At any rate, learning how to make the most EasyOS gives me something to do while 'sheltering in place'.

* Airliners. These, too, may be relics of the past or at perhaps curiosities only used by most of us on 'honey-moons' or other 'once-in-a-life-time' vacations. "Jaws" came out in the summer of 1975. I still think twice about swimming in the Ocean. Summer vacations used to involve several hours drive to hotels in the mountains or the seashore. Maybe a train trip. Airliners enabled us to explore more distant venues. But how many of us will want to spend many hours sharing the air with 400 or more strangers and then rubbing elbows with hoards carrying who-knows-what diseases. Hopefully, I am being pessimistic. But I have serious doubts about Governments --especially my own-- spending taxpayer dollars to bail out the Airlines and the travel industries [even Trump's Hotels] until there is some realistic way of determining to what extent distant travel holds a place in our various cultures for anything beyond business necessities.
charlane_meyer

PostPosted: Thu 30 Apr 2020, 22:05    Post subject:  

EasyOS 2.2.14 is not working for me! I am not long into Linux so I do not know what this is about. I keep getting the error message "No puppy frugal installs found in /mnt/sdb1/easypup". I downloaded the ISO from the link provided on this forum. I had BionicPup64 8.0 loaded but had no sound and couldn't get bluetooth to work on my Dell E6430 with 4GB Ram, 1TB HD. What is going on here? Why is the USB installer not working/not finding these files? I made a sub-directory next to the /boot directory in case it was a path problem. I still get the error.

I am loading to the same USB that I installed BionicPup64 8.0 with.

I did not want to get so involved in this. Any comments are appreciated.

Charlane

All rights reserved.
ras

PostPosted: Fri 01 May 2020, 00:39    Post subject:  

Quote:
I am not long into Linux so I do not know what this is about

Fortunately, Barry has posted some installation tutorials that may help.

I have found that having a thumb drive dedicated to easyos is helpful.

https://easyos.org/tag_install.html

Sage

PostPosted: Fri 01 May 2020, 03:15    Post subject:  

Quote:
I have found that having a thumb drive dedicated to easyos is helpful.

He's right of course. But there's a guaranteed foolproof way of achieving success which I noted earlier. Ignore all that CLI 'dd' stuff that the gurus revel in. Using a bog-std (Linux) PC, d/l the compressed file (e.g. xyz.img.gz), right click and choose 'Extract Here' to get the raw '.img' file, then use USB Image Writer to write (or overwrite) the entire file(s) in the correct places and formats. NEVER EVER FAILS.
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sat 09 May 2020, 07:01    Post subject:  

I compiled SeaMonkey 2.53.2, but it is broken:

https://bkhome.org/news/202005/seamonkey-2532-is-broken.html

But found a fix, posted to that blog post, which is to delete the entire profile.

I just now went back to the SM site, and they have removed 2.53.2, have gone back to showing 2.53.1 as the latest:

http://seamonkey-project.org/

Apparently, the bug has something to do with gtk3 -- I wish they hadn't dropped gtk2 support!!!!

oui

Location: near Woof (Germany) :-) - 3 PC's: DELL SX280 750 MB Pentium4, Acer emachines 2 GB AMD64. DELL XPS15

PostPosted: Sat 09 May 2020, 17:01    Post subject:  

Hi Barry

What is the advantage to use a new compiled Seamonkey instead to unpack those offered ready to use by Seamonkey itself?

Using rox, the installation is fast and easy!

Why will we reinvent the wheel?

- download it there https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/ into /root

- hit on it in rox

- mark all (option Select all)

- unpack! (option Extract)

and you get it ready to use in your favorite languages (often including the dictionary you need in your language room ...) in /root/Seamonkey. Hitting on /root/Seamonkey/seamonkey, it appears willing on the screen!

using links with the fast function in rox (hold Ctr + Alt and move not as binary but as link at the destination) it is installed fast in Puppy instead of the precedent one (or instead of palemoon & Co. as the Puppy world is now split concerning that...)

see picture (I did process all that to be sure that it's work as I explain! this is in an Pup NON-PAE (*1 ! in better Puppy's it have to work better!)

(*1 poor Pup NON-PAE but with good working pulseaudio ! It is so wonderful...
seamonkey.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   71.17 KB
 Viewed   458 Time(s)

seamonkey.jpg

Last edited by oui on Sat 09 May 2020, 17:19; edited 1 time in total
oui

Location: near Woof (Germany) :-) - 3 PC's: DELL SX280 750 MB Pentium4, Acer emachines 2 GB AMD64. DELL XPS15

PostPosted: Sat 09 May 2020, 17:13    Post subject:  

excuse the text error on the picture: as I have Seamonkey 2.32 (*1 preinstalled and /root/mozilla/ for that version preinstalled in my ISOs, /root/mozilla did show the old version number. but 2.53.2 is now installed and starts after erasing /root/.mozilla Wink

(*1 I always have Seamonkey preinstalled in my own ISOs!
seamonkey.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   73.23 KB
 Viewed   454 Time(s)

seamonkey.jpg

OscarTalks

PostPosted: Thu 14 May 2020, 15:58    Post subject:  

This machine I am testing on has 3 sound cards,
1 integrated
1 pci
1 usb
Not sure if that is a factor, but I find that Menu>Multimedia>Alsa Mixer just flashes and aborts.
Same happens in EasyPup.
If I edit the alsamixer.desktop file from urxvt to sakura then alsamixer looks OK.
Running urxvt on its own looks OK, but not if I am trying to run alsamixer within it.

EDIT:- Tried booting the EasyOS flash drive on a different machine with just one sound card and alsamixer looks OK in urxvt so I guess it is specific to my hardware and not a universal issue.

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sat 16 May 2020, 06:27    Post subject:  

I intend to get back onto tackling some of the issues that you guys have reported for EasyOS. There was a little holiday, and the last couple of days did a resurrection of Quirky:

https://bkhome.org/news/202005/quirky-881-unofficial-release.html

Seems to work OK, but don't get the bluetooth applet in the system tray.

I wanted to compare bootup time and general responsiveness between Quirky and EasyOS, and for a level playing field they are both built with Debian Buster 10 DEBs.

Though using 5.4.40 kernel with Quirky, Easy is still on 5.4.27.

Page 163 of 166 [2488 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: