2.15CE - My Gripes

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Pizzasgood

2.15CE - My Gripes

#1 Post by Pizzasgood »

1: It has an ugly icon for .ogg, .mov, .avi, .mpg, and .mp4.

2: It has no run-action for .mp4 (should be defaultmediaplayer).

3: Annoying run actions for .mp3, .wav, and .au (must use terminal to kill). Rather than madplay, wavplay, and aplay, just send them to defaultmediaplayer.

4: Missing right-click on desktop!!! (Grrr..)

5: You included both MU's GTK theme changer and the built-in one. The built-in one should be dropped. (I think it's in 0rootfs or else the gtk package, and is at /usr/sbin/gtk-theme).

6: The free-memory applet is squished (maybe because I have a four-diget number?). Also, Blinky looks cut-off. Actually, I just don't like the whole applet thing, especially since the color-matching is iffy, but I think that's probably more of a personal preference.

7: White font in dialog section of IcebergX IceWM theme makes the confirm logout box unreadible.

8: It's also a little hefty. I'd say just make the core the core. If an addon doesn't get made, that hurts the "big" version, but shouldn't be incentive to make the core bigger. The core wouldn't have had it anyways.

Well, those are my complaints (so far). Otherwise, it looks pretty good. I still prefer IcebergX to the Velvet themes, but meh. That's why there's a way to change themes ;)
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

WhoDo

Re: 2.15CE - My Gripes

#2 Post by WhoDo »

Pizzasgood wrote:1: It has an ugly icon for .ogg, .mov, .avi, .mpg, and .mp4.
Perhaps. Can you supply pretty ones? I will be happy to include them if that's the case.
Pizzasgood wrote: 2: It has no run-action for .mp4 (should be defaultmediaplayer).
Never used mp4 and consequently missed the association. Will fix for Final.
Pizzasgood wrote: 3: Annoying run actions for .mp3, .wav, and .au (must use terminal to kill). Rather than madplay, wavplay, and aplay, just send them to defaultmediaplayer.
Good suggestion. Will implement in final
Pizzasgood wrote: 4: Missing right-click on desktop!!! (Grrr..)
Huh? That should still be there, unless the remaster process overwrites the preferences file in Icewm. I will investigate. Open /root/.icewm/preferences and check the following:

Code: Select all

#  Manage root window (EXPERIMENTAL - normally enabled!)
GrabRootWindow=1 # 0/1
Pizzasgood wrote: 5: You included both MU's GTK theme changer and the built-in one. The built-in one should be dropped. (I think it's in 0rootfs or else the gtk package, and is at /usr/sbin/gtk-theme).
I did follow up on your earlier suggestion and removed the gtk-theme changer but it sent the gtk apps dialogues to a default bright red and deep blue color combination. Only way to fix was to put it back and select a default. I couldn't find where the actual themes were located to remove them either. Hopefully I will make a better attempt at fixing this for final, but I'm not promising.
Pizzasgood wrote: 6: The free-memory applet is squished (maybe because I have a four-diget number?). Also, Blinky looks cut-off. Actually, I just don't like the whole applet thing, especially since the color-matching is iffy, but I think that's probably more of a personal preference.
I know you hate this, but I'm going to say it anyway ..."mine's okay" :P Sometimes Blinky gets off-centre, but a quick reload of the WM fixes it. Don't know why that is, but Icewm uses a patched version of Blinky supplied by MU. Maybe he knows why that happens.
Pizzasgood wrote: 7: White font in dialog section of IcebergX IceWM theme makes the confirm logout box unreadible.
That one got under the radar. I will fix for Final.
Pizzasgood wrote: 8: It's also a little hefty. I'd say just make the core the core. If an addon doesn't get made, that hurts the "big" version, but shouldn't be incentive to make the core bigger. The core wouldn't have had it anyways.
My reasoning was that I'd promised multimedia, and I'd rather deliver on that at a slightly increased weight than face a community full of complaints about its absence. Some of the apps were contributed by community members and they deserved to see the fruits of their voluntary labor in the CE product, by hook or by crook.

That said, if I can get someone - anyone - to make a multimedia squash file for us, the multimedia stuff will most certainly go into that and the core can go back to being sub-100Mb, which is my preference anyway.
Pizzasgood wrote: Well, those are my complaints (so far). Otherwise, it looks pretty good. I still prefer IcebergX to the Velvet themes, but meh. That's why there's a way to change themes ;)
"(so far)"?!? :D
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

Springer

#3 Post by Springer »

First impression is great, with a few caveats obvious even in about 10 minutes of use:

1) The control icons in the Window banner bar MUST have some color. With Velvet-Baize, it was nearly impossible to see the window controls on a laptop's LCD, with Valvet-Azul, it *is* impossible to see the minimize button at all until you hover over it. I've suggested this before, but why don't we make the colored image (used for hover state today) the default, and make new "glowing" images (or something) for the hover state.

2) A nit: Toolbar still has OO icons, even though that's not what get's launched when you click on them. (Actually, the tooltip says "defaultwordprocessor" and "defaultspreadsheet", when you hover over the OO icons.)

3) Weirdness: Launching Gnumeric from the toolbar defaultspreadsheet icon oddly brings it up with a dark charcoal color scheme that is much harder to read than the one you get when you click the "calc" icon at the upper right of the desktop launcher, or launch from the Menu button.

4) Actually, the Weirdness problem above affects AbiWord identically, so there's likely something botched in the toolbar config.

5) Browser and Flash appear to be working very well! (Tried both movie on default home page and Robert Spencer's JihadWatch video at hotair.com) Congrats!

6) Xine... not so well. (At least in a quick trial of apple.com/quicktime/trailers/disney/bridgetoterabithia/hd/) No complaints of missing codecs, and audio works, but no video. Seemed to have codec problems with WMV video at another site. Haven't had time yet to see why...

7) The new somewhat Aqua-ish widget set (GTK?) is a very nice touch - good job.

8) Double-clicking on an MP3 file results in madplay launching invisibly. Don't you think the default MP3 player should be visible and have controls? (Any user that doesn't know how to launch an xterm window and type "top" won't even be able to tell what the heck is invisibly playing and can't be shut up! This is definitely hostile to new/naive users.)

9) The default background is lacking in character - I, for one, don't care at all for the "boxy puppy" logo. IMO, it looks much better with the shining.jpg background.

10) Right click on desktop is gone, which is a change for regular Puppy users, but probably a very good idea. Very few GUI environments make right-click on the desktop equivalent to the menu/start/K/apple button, so it's unexpected and a bit confusing.

A few warts here and there, but definitely shaping up. I can't wait to try the Office version, but I hope there is little to nothing cut out of OpenOffice, or at least that there's a very easy way to get it all back...

Pizzasgood

#4 Post by Pizzasgood »

Well, I haven't used it long enough to see everything that's potentially wrong :wink:

I'm back in Pizzapup 3.0 right now, but after mounting the pup_215.sfs file to check some things, I notice that there are some directories in / that don't belong there. Looks like one of the packages got messed up and dumped stuff directly into / rather than /usr/local/<something-or-other>/

Also, you have a root0 and a root. Unleashed used to use root0 but has converted to root since Puppy 2.14. Possibly an old package that wasn't properly converted?

Oh, and I just noticed you changed the empty icon for the trash can, but not the full icon.

For the .ogg icon, how about the same one you used for other audio? (Wait, it looks like it's already set. Either I hallucinated or something's broken...)

For .mov, .avi, .mpg, and .mp4, you could use the package_multimedia.png icon already included in /usr/share/midi-icons/. I didn't look, but you might also need that for .wmv. Any video, for that matter.

Looking at the icons, I see you still have a couple things set in /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/MIME-icons/ rather than /usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/ROX/MIME/.
Open /root/.icewm/preferences and check the following:
Nope, it's set to 0. But Unleashed shouldn't change anything. Maybe you have duplicates? Like, having it in the 0rootfs package and in the icewm package?

I did follow up on your earlier suggestion and removed the gtk-theme changer but it sent the gtk apps dialogues to a default bright red and deep blue color combination. Only way to fix was to put it back and select a default. I couldn't find where the actual themes were located to remove them either. Hopefully I will make a better attempt at fixing this for final, but I'm not promising.
I think you have to set the /root/.gtkrc and /root/.gtkrc-2.0 files. Otherwise, you could cheat by just removing the .desktop entry for Barry's GTK setter so it won't show up in the menu.

3) Weirdness: Launching Gnumeric from the toolbar defaultspreadsheet icon oddly brings it up with a dark charcoal color scheme that is much harder to read than the one you get when you click the "calc" icon at the upper right of the desktop launcher, or launch from the Menu button.

4) Actually, the Weirdness problem above affects AbiWord identically, so there's likely something botched in the toolbar config.
That has something do do with GTK carrying over theme data. I think MU set the buttons up to use a different theme so they blend better, but it sounds like anything launched from them carries over those settings.

Okay, I'd better call it quits for tonight. I have a dentist appointment in the morning. (Just routine stuff. So far no cavities. :D )
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

WhoDo

#5 Post by WhoDo »

Springer wrote:1) The control icons in the Window banner bar MUST have some color. With Velvet-Baize, it was nearly impossible to see the window controls on a laptop's LCD, with Valvet-Azul, it *is* impossible to see the minimize button at all until you hover over it. I've suggested this before, but why don't we make the colored image (used for hover state today) the default, and make new "glowing" images (or something) for the hover state.
Point taken. I did listen when you made it the first time, but I've been too wrapped up in internal infrastructure and bug squishing to get the time to fix it for you. I will have it right for Puppy 2.15CE Office Edition.
Springer wrote: 2) A nit: Toolbar still has OO icons, even though that's not what get's launched when you click on them. (Actually, the tooltip says "defaultwordprocessor" and "defaultspreadsheet", when you hover over the OO icons.)
A deliberate oversight. I haven't worked out how I can change those icons to reflect whether it's Open Office or Abiword/Gnumeric that are the defaults. They don't grab their icons from the defaults, apparently.
Springer wrote: 3) Weirdness: Launching Gnumeric from the toolbar defaultspreadsheet icon oddly brings it up with a dark charcoal color scheme that is much harder to read than the one you get when you click the "calc" icon at the upper right of the desktop launcher, or launch from the Menu button.
That is a consequence of MU's workaround fix for making the task bar buttons appear to have a "transparent" background. They get their background color from the gtk-theme, so MU changes the theme they draw from in some way, but it affects any gtk apps launched from the task buttons.
Springer wrote: 4) Actually, the Weirdness problem above affects AbiWord identically, so there's likely something botched in the toolbar config.
Not "botched" exactly. Just not as nicely developed as we'd like, even for RC1.
Springer wrote: 5) Browser and Flash appear to be working very well! (Tried both movie on default home page and Robert Spencer's JihadWatch video at hotair.com) Congrats!
Ah, Seamonkey 1.0.8, bless its stable, reliable "little cotton socks"! :D
Springer wrote: 6) Xine... not so well. (At least in a quick trial of apple.com/quicktime/trailers/disney/bridgetoterabithia/hd/) No complaints of missing codecs, and audio works, but no video. Seemed to have codec problems with WMV video at another site. Haven't had time yet to see why...
Conscious decision NOT to ship proprietary codecs. These are available for download at your discretion. That bridge will have to be crossed again when we move multimedia to a squash file, too. Can't be helped for RC1 though.
Springer wrote: 7) The new somewhat Aqua-ish widget set (GTK?) is a very nice touch - good job.
Modified H2O - saphire gtk2 theme, courtesy of sbaguz - one of our community members. The H2O-emerald theme is equally nice in the right environment.
Springer wrote: 8) Double-clicking on an MP3 file results in madplay launching invisibly. Don't you think the default MP3 player should be visible and have controls? (Any user that doesn't know how to launch an xterm window and type "top" won't even be able to tell what the heck is invisibly playing and can't be shut up! This is definitely hostile to new/naive users.)
Already noted by Pizzasgood above. See my reply to him.
Springer wrote: 9) The default background is lacking in character - I, for one, don't care at all for the "boxy puppy" logo. IMO, it looks much better with the shining.jpg background.
Just goes to show you can't please everyone! The power puppy paw background was passed over as being too "in your face" for several community members. It was discussed at our last online meeting and the records of the discussion are available on the wiki. Both the green and blue power paws are in your backgrounds directory to be changed at will.
Springer wrote: 10) Right click on desktop is gone, which is a change for regular Puppy users, but probably a very good idea. Very few GUI environments make right-click on the desktop equivalent to the menu/start/K/apple button, so it's unexpected and a bit confusing.
*sigh* Pizzasgood wants it back. Springer is glad its gone. Leaving it out was an oversight but I'll be guided by our next CE meeting as to whether it goes back in by default.
Springer wrote: A few warts here and there, but definitely shaping up. I can't wait to try the Office version, but I hope there is little to nothing cut out of OpenOffice, or at least that there's a very easy way to get it all back...
Open Office is 2.10, and will be a FULL version of that suite - nothing left out. If we can get Sunburnt's GUI bootloader going, you'll be able to nominate whether or not you want it at boot. NathanF has supplied a patch for XDG menus that will see the menu system respond appropriately, and that patch is already included in RC1.

Cheers
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#6 Post by Lobster »

I have made a start - can someone update and add to this bugs section
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Puppy215Bugs

also this page, which links from the home page in RC1
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/XaraLX

needs working download links (can a community member add them) - other pages also need testing

:)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Springer

#7 Post by Springer »

WhoDo:
Point taken. I did listen when you made it the first time, but I've been too wrapped up in internal infrastructure and bug squishing to get the time to fix it for you. I will have it right for Puppy 2.15CE Office Edition.
Thanks, and sorry if that sounded like griping - I really appreciate the work, and feel bad I've offered only feedback rather than code - I wish there was more I could do to help, but the UI stuff, although important to me as a desktop Puppy user, is not my area of expertise.

(FWIW, I'm seriously looking at building a super-slimmed-down "embedded Puppy" aimed at things like the m0n0BSD-based M0n0wall, pfsense, FreeNAS, etc., but aiming even smaller and leaner. This really boils down to whether several of Puppy's unique features add enough value. The SFS and flash-friendly stuff, as well as its inherent leanness and the PETget system, could make Puppy a great base for an embedded distro - one that could easily reshape itself by just adding module packages for different uses.)

Thanks again for the hard work of all involved. It's great to watch Puppy continue to mature, while staying true to its roots.

(BTW - how are you quoting other messages in your posts? Not like me, obviously...)

WhoDo:
*sigh* Pizzasgood wants it (right-click desktop for main menu) back. Springer is glad its gone. Leaving it out was an oversight but I'll be guided by our next CE meeting as to whether it goes back in by default.

Not sure I'll make the meeting (that's 4AM in Texas!), but my argument boils down to this: right-clicks, by general convention, usually bring up a context-sensitive menu. If a right click on the desktop brought up desktop setup menus or basic admin tools I wouldn't complain, (these need some consolidation in a "control panel" or the like in nearly all Linux distros, anyway), but bringing up the main menu seems both redundant and wrong...

WhoDo:
Conscious decision NOT to ship proprietary codecs. These are available for download at your discretion. That bridge will have to be crossed again when we move multimedia to a squash file, too.
I understand the issue, but other distros have worked around this problem. If we decide we don't want to ship prop. codecs with Puppy (IMO, we should ship them anyway in Viz/Office), then at least we should make it "automagically" possible to download and install them.

How about this?...
On first attempted launch (only) of media player, we intercept that and pop up a dialog box explaining that proprietary codecs are not installed by default, but can be automatically added (if attached to the Net) by clicking a button. If the user clicks Install Codecs, then PETget/etc. does the magic, and the player launches fully working.

This seems to straddle the line between not having codecs at all and bundling them in. Too much insistence on "free" purity can be a very bad thing, viz Debian and Ubuntu: Ubuntu includes lots of "non-free" stuff that Debian won't - so from the user's p.o.v., Ubuntu "just works" and Debian "just doesn't".

Puppy's philosophy has always been to "just work"...

Nathan F

#8 Post by Nathan F »

Right click for a menu is a standard convention in Linux and Unix, it is Windows that is backwords here. Note than many WM's don't even provide a panel, so the right click menu is the only one you get. Besides, as Pizzasgood points out, why drag the mouse down to the corner to get a menu?

As for a context sensitive menu, in many common *nix setups this is done with a left click on the desktop or occasionally a middle click, although that is normally reserved for the window list.

I understand the feeling that many have which is that Linux (and especially Puppy) should emulate the Windows ui whenever possible. However, I oppose this line of thinking. Different does not mean wrong or bad. In cases where Windows provides a better solution then by all means we should adopt it, but not just for the sake of being like the "standard". Both KDE and Gnome have largely caved on some of these things and I feel they have suffered for it, especially KDE.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

Pizzasgood

#9 Post by Pizzasgood »

Code: Select all

[quote="Travolta"]Why it's greased lightnin'!!![/quote]
I also won't make the meeting. Too early over here. So here's my feelings about it:

(Whoops, I see Nathan already beat me too it and hit many of the points I was going to make. Oh well)

I find the right-click very efficient. I don't have to move all the way down to the bottom left. It's the button I find redundant. I can just right-click anywhere, so I don't really need it. It's only needed when I have something maximized.

As for context sensitive, it is. It's the desktop. The base, under everything else. So, naturally, you pop up the root-menu. The one that has all your apps (which you also start from the desktop), all the settings (including those for the desktop), and the shutdown/reboot stuff (which will leave the desktop). What would be cool is another submenu that let you access the entire filesystem. Kinda like Litestep did in Windows-land.

Just because Windows limits you to the wallpaper and icon management doesn't mean Puppy should.

As for confusion, the only confusing thing is "How do I change my wallpaper?" Removing the root-menu from the desktop doesn't change that. It doesn't take long to figure out it's the same menu you get from the button, and that maybe going to "Control Panel" (or whatever it is now, if Barry changed it), then "Set Wallpaper" would work.

I just think it's more useful to have the menu than nothing.

MU

#10 Post by MU »

That is a consequence of MU's workaround fix for making the task bar buttons appear to have a "transparent" background. They get their background color from the gtk-theme, so MU changes the theme they draw from in some way, but it affects any gtk apps launched from the task buttons.
No.
They don't change the Gtk-Theme.
On my system Abiword runs with the same theme as any other Gtk-Application started from Rox or the Menu.

But maybe an old "feature" to colorize the tray-icons still is active, if that was activated once by hand.
That was made for the version, that was not transparent yet.

Look if you have:
/usr/local/MU-rox-traybuttons/resource/mutray.rc

If yes, delete or rename it.
This was used for older versions of the buttons, to set their backgroundcolor.
It is a new gtkrc loaded before the buttons start.
By default, it should be deactivated (the name then is mutray.rc--).
Mark

alienjeff

#11 Post by alienjeff »

Springer wrote: This seems to straddle the line between not having codecs at all and bundling them in. Too much insistence on "free" purity can be a very bad thing, viz Debian and Ubuntu: Ubuntu includes lots of "non-free" stuff that Debian won't - so from the user's p.o.v., Ubuntu "just works" and Debian "just doesn't".
I'm going to make believe you didn't just compare Ubuntu to Debian.
Springer wrote:Puppy's philosophy has always been to "just work"...
Practically speaking, "just works" is more of a goal than anything else. Sneaking proprietary codex under the "just works" umbrella is really stretching things.
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#12 Post by GuestToo »

What would be cool is another submenu that let you access the entire filesystem
Icewm can do exactly that ... in preferences, set this:

OpenCommand="rox"

if you have one of my an Icewm packages installed, that line will probably already be in the preferences file, just uncomment it and restart Icewm

because the Open Command is set to Rox, selecting an item in the menu will be the same as clicking it in a Rox window

Springer

#13 Post by Springer »

Alienjeff said:
I'm going to make believe you didn't just compare Ubuntu to Debian.
I know Ubuntu is based on Debian, and that was my point - Ubuntu is striving to meet user needs better than its own parent.

And it's not just me making that comparison - how about Ian Murdock (the founder of Debian), saying basically the same thing? http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/murdockint.html

Springer

#14 Post by Springer »

Nathan:

I've been a Unix user since long before X (back when all windowing was proprietary like MEX and SunWin) so I know about all the various "standards". I also know that pretty much everybody with any UI usability cred thinks the MIT/X way is bad design. (This was a huge issue back in the OpenView/Motif days, when I worked for Sun - most of our customers desperately wanted a system that worked much better than raw X/Athena, but it was really hard to leave the installed base of programmers behind to address the needs of the "real-world" users. OpenView brought the first really consistent menu/mouse button interface to Unix. In some ways it's still better than most "modern" choices. We eventually open-sourced OpenView, and for several years in the early 90s, it was the most popular window manager for another little project called Linux, allowing it to get off the ground with a real GUI...)

But really, the best reason is the FACT that 99% of the world's computer users expect a particular type of behavior. That means we should have a VERY good reason before changing the basic UI standards those users expect.

I certainly don't recommend aping Windows everywhere, but since we DO have a menu button, the right-click menu is redundant, and moving setup/control panel choices there (with one control panel entry to them in the main menu) could help de-clutter the main menu a LOT.

iscraigh

#15 Post by iscraigh »

I would vote for the codec installer.......Yes I am an Ubuntu user, automatix makes life easy! I am a user nothing more, If I want to play a video online and it doesn't work I would like a message.......blah-blah not installed click here to install.

I have played a bit it looks great probably a bit chunky though.

Craig

WhoDo

#16 Post by WhoDo »

Springer wrote:WhoDo:
Thanks, and sorry if that sounded like griping - I really appreciate the work, and feel bad I've offered only feedback rather than code - I wish there was more I could do to help, but the UI stuff, although important to me as a desktop Puppy user, is not my area of expertise.
No apology necessary. I just didn't want you to think I had ignored your earlier request. As a look-and-feel issue, it didn't get my top priority for RC1, but your feedback and support is still greatly valued. It will be fixed for RC1 Office Edition, you can count on it. :wink:
Springer wrote:(BTW - how are you quoting other messages in your posts? Not like me, obviously...)
Yep. Pizza's post has the answer by example.
Springer wrote:Not sure I'll make the meeting (that's 4AM in Texas!), but my argument boils down to this: right-clicks, by general convention, usually bring up a context-sensitive menu. If a right click on the desktop brought up desktop setup menus or basic admin tools I wouldn't complain, (these need some consolidation in a "control panel" or the like in nearly all Linux distros, anyway), but bringing up the main menu seems both redundant and wrong...
I don't like it much either, from the perspective of user-friendliness for refugees, but I can see how valuable it is to the young lions who rip and tear their way around the desktop at a great rate of knots. :P It will always be there. Only question is should it be on or off by default. The jury is still out on that.
Springer wrote: If we decide we don't want to ship prop. codecs with Puppy (IMO, we should ship them anyway in Viz/Office), then at least we should make it "automagically" possible to download and install them.
If I had the multimedia squash file built, then they would ALL be in there. It wouldn't be a problem because it wouldn't be an integral part of the distribution, but an individual user download/add-on. That gets around the problems, AFAIK. If someone - anyone - would build that file then I could take multimedia out of Standard Edition and make it smaller; under 100Mb which was the original target.

Hope that explains things a bit better.

WhoDo

#17 Post by WhoDo »

MU wrote:Look if you have:
/usr/local/MU-rox-traybuttons/resource/mutray.rc

If yes, delete or rename it.
Yes, Mark. My bad. It will be the NEW version in RC1 Office Edition and later.

WhoDo

#18 Post by WhoDo »

GuestToo wrote:
What would be cool is another submenu that let you access the entire filesystem
Icewm can do exactly that ... in preferences, set this:

OpenCommand="rox"
I hate showing my ignorance like this, but what does this do for the user? The command is in the preferences file for 1.2.30 Icewm, so it can be adjusted as you say. I just don't know precisely what it does. :oops:

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#19 Post by GuestToo »

just uncomment OpenCommand="rox", restart Icewm, and see what it does ... comment the line again to disable the feature

what it does is put a / and a $HOME section in the Start menu ... you can navigate through your file system using the Start menu ... clicking an item will work the same as clicking the item in a Rox window ... for example, clicking a text file will probably open the text file with the defaulttexteditor

i think this is exactly what Pizzasgood had in mind

WhoDo

#20 Post by WhoDo »

GuestToo wrote:what it does is put a / and a $HOME section in the Start menu ... you can navigate through your file system using the Start menu ... clicking an item will work the same as clicking the item in a Rox window ...
Ok, that's why I didn't see anything different. With XDG menus it doesn't appear to do that. :?