adaptation & puppy for win 98

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
oui

adaptation & puppy for win 98

#1 Post by oui »

bonjour

how to adapt the special puppy for windows 98 to all other puppy versions?

salut

amish

#2 Post by amish »

http://puppydocblognode1.blogspot.com/s ... l/pupwin98
the one thing it doesn't explain in versions past 2.11 is where to put zdrv.sfs. i think it goes the same place as your pupsave file... /mnt/home but i need a newer version to try it on.

oui

merci amish!

#3 Post by oui »

bonjour

and merci, amish!
amish wrote:http://puppydocblognode1.blogspot.com/s ... l/pupwin98
the one thing it doesn't explain in versions past 2.11 is where to put zdrv.sfs. i think it goes the same place as your pupsave file... /mnt/home but i need a newer version to try it on.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 696#105696

i will probably actualize to 2.14 because different important fictures are not available in 1.0.7

your list

and:

- recognition of usb wireless systems like logitech mouse and keyboard (perhaps already available in 2.11?)
- new puppy packet management

etc.

but/and

I have a big problem with 2.14:

the full version is to big now

the version without drivers will not find and add the right ethernet driver and load it!

thank you very much!

kind regards

amish

#4 Post by amish »

a big problem with 2.14:

the full version is to big now

the version without drivers will not find and add the right ethernet driver and load it!
absolutement! my hope is that as people (successfully) push to make puppy more and more bloated, those of us that have always benefitted from puppy's small size ("litepup" 2.14 is 62mb... pupwin98 as you know is about the same size ;) will start a movement to make puppy flexible in size as a feature.

the success so far: a. i push for one that can have 3 sizes and be downloaded in 3 sizes... b. mic67 pushes for something that is more flexible than that but on in a large image (this could happen too but preferably even that would come in three sizes by default) and sunburnt and nathan are working on ways of doing this too c. there will be two sizes of puppy 2.15. d. there is a barebones version of grafpup (even if the medium size is probably too big) e. even if we do nothing to accomodate people with less than 256 mb ram, they just end up using the older versions and reminding us how great they were... certainly puppy is an inspiration to us all, i am far more inspired by the smaller versions, but there is a place for both.

oui

#5 Post by oui »

bonjour amish

thank you very much

it works fine.

only the shutdown (and restart puppy) does not operate completely.

wine 0.9.16 works very well INCLUDING the one-click-utility (dotpup-package) for Rox and the link to the virtual Windows-C-drive so that a lot of pre-installed windows programms in the own tongue continue to work without any change especialy

nPOPQ, the little email programm for both, linux and windows
miranda, the little messenger programm for both

both without any change

UDP unicode all purpose free editor from the tibetan enthusiasts (produces best unicode really easy and can handle with accents etc not avalaible in all other editors (for ex. "dot under") and has a real good data base system for documentations. can write bold, different sizes, colored, generates simple HTML code by saving as option etc.

(do not forget to copy the needed fonts in the fonts directory of "windows" in the Windows-C-drive of wine!)

file zilla
open office 2.0
eve
the classical French dictionary Larousse (important for me and other francophones...)

etc.

thank you very much

I did not find the way to do the same with the experimental pre-version of puppy 2.16 (a really good version but wine does not work as well: the 1-click-rox add does not work any more) because the pup_215.sfs is in initrd

salut

oui

#6 Post by oui »

bonjour

as I did write above message I did just restart under Xorg because under Xvesa and 2.11 the cusor (BACK SPACE) and different chars as @ (ALT GR char in my keyboard layout) don't work properly under Xvesa

under Xorg, cursor and special char's work very fine

but the short Rox 1 click ability and the link to the virtual C-drive don't exist any more...

(I can remember that I did not use 2.11 as it was new for an important reason in my eyes ; probably for this reason... what is important is always a matter of the use of the system of course!)

salut

oui

#7 Post by oui »

bonjour amish

it seems that one of the problem is to search in the file protection (archiv file)

so I will see what happens if I erase the protection's flag

salut

amish

#8 Post by amish »

bonjour oui

glad to see you making progress, i'll look here from one time to another to see.

it's okay with me that you are posting a lot but for others they will want you to "edit post" so there are not so many.

sometimes it's ok, three posts in a row will probably make some people worry :)
sadly, it is not possible to separate politics from free software. free software - politics = unfree software.