xorg-autoconf 3.0

Core libraries and systems
mistfire

#61 Post by mistfire »

@Marv does your LxPupSc has xorg mouse driver or xorg keyboard driver installed on your system?

If yes, then AutoAddDevices will set to false.

I think we need a better detection whether if AutoAddDevices was enabled or not.

Marv

#62 Post by Marv »

mistfire wrote:@Marv does your LxPupSc has xorg mouse driver or xorg keyboard driver installed on your system?

If yes, then AutoAddDevices will set to false.

I think we need a better detection whether if AutoAddDevices was enabled or not.
Agreed.
It's kind of a tough task as in the 'newer' pups libinput is expected to handle all input devices including the touchpad, yet the xorg drivers are still present, and the synaptics driver is depreciated (and removed in the newest slackware based pups). Kind of a mash-up for now and yet xorg-autoconf is expected to cover all pups, old and new. Kind of a tall order. I'll attach the xorg log from the most recent LxPupSc. I've tried to come up with a clean simple test to cover that and have failed as of yet. I can easily test whether libevent is being used for the touchpad but haven't found a way to determine whether it is going to be used for the touchpad.

A stopgap measure, now implemented in the +7 LxPupScs, is just to sed AutoAddDevices to "true" from the lxdestartup file on first run, knowing that these pups use libevent for all devices, but a test would be nicer.

Update: Following on with your question/comment about the xorg mouse and keyboard drivers I did the following: In pristine boots of both LxPupSc and LxPupSc64, I removed (hid actually) the xorg input drivers at /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input or /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/input and resquashed the main pup files. Libinput handles all input in these pups at least on my hardware so seemed worth a try.

In both cases, a clean boot with AutoAddDevices set to "true" results. Scrolling, keyboard control etc. seems fine in relatively short tests, and the Xorg logs look ok. I'll continue using the modded LxPupSc and see if any quirks show up.
Attachments
Xorg.0.log.false.gz
(25.4 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

mistfire

#63 Post by mistfire »

@Marv my crude detection for AutuAddDevices was based from the code in rc.sysinit script

I think some strategies for detection of AutoAddDevices and are here as follows.

1. Detecting if udev or eudev was installed. If eudev was installed then AutoAddDevices will be set to true.
2. Check for udev/eudev version
3. Check for Xorg version

I wonder which of them is the most effective?

Marv

#64 Post by Marv »

@mistfire Thinking, maybe a test for active udev? See my update in my earlier post?

I tried the following substituted for your test at line 769:

Code: Select all

if [ `udevadm --version` ]; then
Works in the udev/libinput LxPupScs. AutoAddDevices is set to true and scrolling works. The xorg.log isn't quite as clean it is when hiding the xorg input drivers but the test might be more universal. I think I have a version of X-Slacko 4.x somewhere to try it on for a non-udev pup...

Update: XS 4.4 is a bridge too far. Suggestions for a non-udev pup that is new enough to use xorg-autoconf to test on?
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

mistfire

#65 Post by mistfire »

@Marv it seems detecting Xorg version will do the trick. I found clues on this link from Xorg website.

https://www.x.org/wiki/XorgHAL/

udev support for xorg-server started at version 1.8.0

666philb

#66 Post by 666philb »

hi mistfire,

xorg-autoconf fails for some reason when booting in vmware. i get a blank screen with flashing cursor. i think that vmware needs Option "AutoAddDevices" "true" and the regular xorg.conf.udev config works.

cheers
phil
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

mistfire

#67 Post by mistfire »

@666philb on my latest experiment on xorg-autoconf. AutoAddDevices will set to true if the xorg-version is version 1.8.0 above and udev is installed. I make revisions before releasing the new version

mistfire

#68 Post by mistfire »

xorg-autoconf 3.0 released

Changes:
* Under the hood overhaul
* Improved system detection

Download at the first post of this thread