First day Slacko64 6.3.2 user with Broadcom BCM43228 problem

globetrotterdk

First day Slacko64 6.3.2 user with Broadcom BCM43228 problem

#1 Post by globetrotterdk »

I assume I need broadcom-sta to get my wireless card to work, but I don't understand references in the forum to other pups or how that will me get the proper driver installed to get the wireless card working.

I have been on the forum for awhile, but this is the first time that I have installed a pup and tried to get it working.

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

So long as "uname -r" returns 4.1.11, install this and reboot.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

globetrotterdk

#3 Post by globetrotterdk »

Semme wrote:So long as "uname -r" returns 4.1.11, install this and reboot.
Thanks for the that and the quick reply. Unfortunately, I can't find the module when trying to configure my wireless connection. I am sure that it was installed.

Semme

#4 Post by Semme »

*State right up front whether "uname -r" returned 4.1.11.

Yes?

Continue...

==

Now if Network Wizard can't find it, close out, "modprobe wl" in a terminal, then reload NW.

Unless somebody requires blacklisting, it should work.

Should it not, dump "lsmod" and supply a new paste here.

b43 and the gang may be running interference.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

globetrotterdk

#5 Post by globetrotterdk »

Semme wrote:*State right up front whether "uname -r" returned 4.1.11.

Yes?

Continue...

==

Now if Network Wizard can't find it, close out, "modprobe wl" in a terminal, then reload NW.

Unless somebody requires blacklisting, it should work.

Should it not, dump "lsmod" and supply a new paste here.

b43 and the gang may be running interference.
Yes, 4.1.11 was returned.
https://pastebin.com/JJ036Fap

Semme

#6 Post by Semme »

I've got a quick question before loading Slacko.

That you can run 64b, have you tried or would you consider a more current pup, say Bionic?

Hmm, then again, perhaps Slacko's missing the firmware for your driver?

Does "dmesg | grep -i firmware" show that it was in fact loaded?

Try this too >> Run depmod, then reboot.

Open the Network Wizard and see if you get an interface.

I didn't see any modules that were a problem.

globetrotterdk

#7 Post by globetrotterdk »

Yes, it is unfortunate that Slacko is so dated. I originally had a plan specifically Slacko related. I was going to try and see if there was a way to get Studioware working in Slacko. The idea was to be able to piggyback on Studioware and gather a group to create and maintain a multimedia version of Slacko that would attract more attention / energy.

However, I of course needed to ascertain how Slacko does (if it does) dependency resolution, among other things...

Code: Select all

[Firmware Bug]: ACPI: BIOS _OSI(Linux) query ignored
acpi PNP0A08:00: [Firmware Info]: MMCONFIG for domain 0000 [bus 00-3f] only partially covers this bridge
psmouse serio2: elantech: assuming hardware version 3 (with firmware version 0x550f00)
bluetooth hci0: Direct firmware load for brcm/BCM20702A1-0489-e046.hcd failed with error -2
Can you please be more specific regarding the Network Wizard? There is no wlan entry by default, and I don't see a listing for a wl Broadcom or wlpc module available for loading. Neither does the auto-probe function provide anything useful. (This is after having run depmod.)

Semme

#8 Post by Semme »

Your pkg appears quite specialized, so specialized in fact that the notion of running "middle-man" Slacko in place of the real deal seems the weakest link in your chain of thought. Aside from sharing a similar packaging scheme, comparing Slacko and Slackware, well, you know, you may as well be comparing apples to oranges. Puppy is a "shoot-from-the-hip," bastard-child of the Linux world. Slackware has its own way of doing things. Absolute, based *directly* on Slackware, would make a lighter, yet solid platform for your project.

Now the only other option I can offer is a tip I came across in another thread. It involved, which 6.3.2 has on tap BTW, additionally loading its "lib80211" module, re-running depmod, and possibly rmmodding or blacklisting rfkill. I'm not sure the last one is required, especially if you're not using anything Bluetooth.

The firmware thingy should go away provided these latest finding pan out.

Give'em a try...

globetrotterdk

#9 Post by globetrotterdk »

Semme wrote:Your pkg appears quite specialized, so specialized in fact that the notion of running "middle-man" Slacko in place of the real deal seems the weakest link in your chain of thought. Aside from sharing a similar packaging scheme, comparing Slacko and Slackware, well, you know, you may as well be comparing apples to oranges. Puppy is Puppy. Slackware has its own way of doing things.
No problem with the way Puppy does things, I am actually looking forward to getting the full experience :wink:
Semme wrote:Now the only other option I can offer is a tip I came across in another thread. It involved, which 6.3.2 has on tap BTW, additionally loading its "lib80211" module, re-running depmod, and possibly rmmodding or blacklisting rfkill. I'm not sure the last one is required, especially if you're not using anything Bluetooth.
Not sure how to load lib80211. If it is a module, I remember seeing a place where it can be loaded... Same place for removing a module - just can't remember where...
Semme wrote:The firmware thingy should go away provided these latest finding pan out.

Give'em a try...
Cheers.

Semme

#10 Post by Semme »

modprobe

You may be able to modprobe the previously referenced module, run "lsmod" to make sure both get loaded, then check in network setup again.

If still nogo, maybe "rmmod rfkill" and re-run depmod.

Aside from compiling from source, /usr/sbin/change_kernels is the only other option I can think of.

PupScan can supply us the exact [xxxx:xxxx] device ID, including version.

==

PS - Absolute offers a LIVE, "try before you buy" version that can run any of those commands outlined on your Studioware link from the live session.

globetrotterdk

#11 Post by globetrotterdk »

Hmmm. Still nothing at all after having tried your suggestions. I am going to give BionicPup64 a try, as you suggested, as I want to give Puppy Linux a complete going through now. Thanks for your help, and for your suggestion about Absolute Linux. I suppose, if at some point I decide to go through with my multimedia idea, a Puppy with an Ubuntu base, or even a Fedora 32 (Jam) base is possible as well. First priority is to learn Puppy, and then go from there...