How do you get GSview and acroread to print using CUPS

Using applications, configuring, problems
rrolsbe

How do you get GSview and acroread to print using CUPS

#1 Post by rrolsbe »

How does one configure the GSview and acroread pdf viewers to print to a CUPS accessible network laser printer? I can print anything to my laser printer except pdf files.

Thanks Very Much In Advance for Any Help
Regards
Ron

UPDATE:
When I got my printer reachable via the network, selecting lpr in acroread and postscript printer in GSView the document printed fine.
My printer is a postscript printer (Dell 3100CN), not sure if this would work the same on a PCL only network printer using CUPS.
Last edited by rrolsbe on Sat 24 Mar 2007, 14:47, edited 2 times in total.

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

First, go to your CUPS admin screen at http://localhost:631/ and check that your network printer is visible. Just to be sure, print a test page to it. Make a note of the CUPS printer name - it's shown in blue.

Some applications like Firefox are CUPS-aware so you can select your printer off a list. However other applications like Abiword or GSview can only print using lpr. So when you are asked to specify a location/queue/command, just type : lpr

This should work if the only printer installed on the computer is the network printer because it is the default printer. However, if you also have a local printer attached, then lpr may automatically default to it. In that case, use the command: lpr -P printername

GSview's print dialog also shows a list of devices. Since you have a laser printer, ljet4d is a good choice, However in my setup, I can ignore this list and press the Postscript Printer button instead. The job still gets formatted properly.