EasyOS version 2.3.2, June 22, 2020

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Good Direct

easy os 2.3

#2521 Post by Good Direct »

Dear Developers!

I wrote the easy os 2.3 to usb flash drive with easy dd. Now the system is running from this flesh drive. I want to copy data from an external storage to my computer's internal drive, but I get the error message that the file system is read-only. You could help what the solution might be.
Lenovo iodepad 520, i5-8250, 8 GB ram, 240 GB ssd.

regards

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2522 Post by BarryK »

Version 2.3.1 is out:

https://bkhome.org/news/202006/easyos-a ... p-231.html

Some earlier posts in this forum thread have reported some problems that I have not yet got around to.

See also this sound fix:

https://bkhome.org/news/202006/sound-fi ... iners.html
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Rogebe

#2523 Post by Rogebe »

Hi, I didn’t read it all.

But I see the following problems:

- At startup the copy of puppy sfs in ram is very long.
- There are duplicate icons on the desk
- There are significant delays in operation
- Gxmessage happy puppy works on its own

See my capture.

Good day

Rogebe
Attachments
Capture.png
(121.99 KiB) Downloaded 64 times

OscarTalks

#2524 Post by OscarTalks »

doggone wrote:I tried Peasydisk Version 5.1 and received same results as above.
Added genisoimage with petget and peasydisk works fine.
Please examine this further.
I was wondering about suggesting a symlink but then I took a glance in my DpupStretch and I see that it has this little script as /usr/bin/genisoimage

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
# Authors: Brandon Snider.
# This script redirects genisoimage commands to mkisofs. In case of --version being passed, the script returns a specific string to
# satisfy Brasero. In case of the old options -L, -H, and -P, the script adds -legacy to the args to properly instruct mkisofs.

legacy="no" # Create variable with default status of "no"

for i in "$@" # Iterate over all of the command line options looking for the old ones.
do
    if [ "$i" = "-L" -o "$i" = "-H" -o "$i" = "-P" ] ; then
       legacy="yes" # Set the legacy variable to "yes" if one of the variables is found.
    elif [ "$i" = "--version" ] ; then
       legacy="version" # Set the variable to "legacy" to return the string expected by Brasero
    fi
done

if [ $legacy = "yes" ] ; then
    /usr/bin/mkisofs -legacy "$@"  # Pass -legacy option. 
elif [ $legacy = "no" ] ; then
    /usr/bin/mkisofs "$@" # In all other situations, pass all options to mkisofs.
elif  [ $legacy = "version" ] ; then
    echo "genisoimage 1.1.11" # Pass the version info expected by any app querying Genisoimage.
fi
This might be better than installing cdrkit in addition to the already included cdrtools or even Debian's genisoimage Buster package (Debian have split up cdrkit into separate packages as they often do).
Oscar in England

lp-dolittle

Windows10 installation rweport

#2525 Post by lp-dolittle »

@ Barry

Hi Barry,

thank you for the Win10 installation report which just seems to be another example which gives insight into the well-known Microsoft mentality.

Do you have an explanation for the fact that your unintended Easydd command left untouched partition 4 on the NVME drive?

kind regards

lp-dolittle

Easypup 2.3.1

#2526 Post by lp-dolittle »

@ Barry

Hi Barry,

aware that you did not promise full support for Easypup, I tested some features of Easypup 2.3.1 and would like to mention the following observations:

At bootup, Easypup 2.3.1 spontaneously offers to load save files of previous frugal Easypup installations (e.g. easypup 2.14; easypup 2.16), apart from a 0 (zero) option.

There is no Easydd icon in the Menu-list.

Right mouse button-klicking onto an *.img.gz or *.iso file results in an error message (screenshot 1), but a functional Easydd GUI can be launched via sakura (screenshot 2).

This GUI seems to be equivalent to the EasyOS 2.3.1 Easydd GUI despite looking somewhat differently (screenshot 3).

The Gparted and the fdisk information about the boot drive (sdb; external IDE HD) are showing confusing differences (e.g. MB/GB per partition). The boot drive (prepared via Easydd) has an MBR as well as a GPT partition table (hybrid iso partition). (screenshots 4 and 5)

The drive icons sdb1 and sdb2 prove to be inversed, as compared to EasyOS standard (screenshot 6).

Deleting the GPT does not seem to affect the funtionality of Easypup 2.3.1.

At first shutdown Easypup 2.3.1 offers misleading save options and wrong information. (scrennshots 7; sceenshot 8)

kind regards

EDIT 1:

To additionally illustrate the above observations, I add screenshots 9 and 10

Note that they will appear on the top of the previously listed screenshots!

EDIT 2:

Sorry, I just now realise that this report does not belong here. I missed the forum and will post it to the (appropriate) Easypup forum
Attachments
Screenshot 9.png
(76.7 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
Screenshot 10.png
(82.12 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
Screenshot 1.png
(92.63 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
Screenshot 2.png
(88.01 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
Screenshot 3.png
(114.45 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
Screenshot 4.png
(82.42 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
Screenshot 5.png
(103.05 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
Screenshot 6.png
(112.57 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
Screenshot 7.png
(88.58 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
Screenshot 8.png
(90.26 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
Last edited by lp-dolittle on Tue 09 Jun 2020, 09:51, edited 2 times in total.

doggone

#2527 Post by doggone »

OscarTalks wrote:
doggone wrote:I tried Peasydisk Version 5.1 and received same results as above.
Added genisoimage with petget and peasydisk works fine.
Please examine this further.
I was wondering about suggesting a symlink but then I took a glance in my DpupStretch and I see that it has this little script as /usr/bin/genisoimage

#!/bin/sh
# Authors: Brandon Snider.
# This script redirects genisoimage commands to mkisofs. In case of --version being passed, the script returns a specific string to
# satisfy Brasero. In case of the old options -L, -H, and -P, the script adds -legacy to the args to properly instruct mkisofs.

legacy="no" # Create variable with default status of "no"

for i in "$@" # Iterate over all of the command line options looking for the old ones.
do
    if [ "$i" = "-L" -o "$i" = "-H" -o "$i" = "-P" ] ; then
       legacy="yes" # Set the legacy variable to "yes" if one of the variables is found.
    elif [ "$i" = "--version" ] ; then
       legacy="version" # Set the variable to "legacy" to return the string expected by Brasero
    fi
done

if [ $legacy = "yes" ] ; then
    /usr/bin/mkisofs -legacy "$@"  # Pass -legacy option. 
elif [ $legacy = "no" ] ; then
    /usr/bin/mkisofs "$@" # In all other situations, pass all options to mkisofs.
elif  [ $legacy = "version" ] ; then
    echo "genisoimage 1.1.11" # Pass the version info expected by any app querying Genisoimage.
fi
This might be better than installing cdrkit in addition to the already included cdrtools or even Debian's genisoimage Buster package (Debian have split up cdrkit into separate packages as they often do).
Just tried your suggestion of using the above script file from DpupStretch. It works great. Much smaller and better solution than installing genisoimage which is 620k.

Now Barry needs to see this so he can see there was a need for this in Dpup and hence fix his official version of EasyOS and Easypup. I have come to the conclusion that not many people are using Peasydic or for that mater, optical media. Peasydisc has been failing for a long time ever since the EasyOS switch was made from Ubuntu to Debian packages and nobody seemed to notice. I generally don't like to post, I'm over 80 years of age and I just sit back and let the young guys solve the problems. So, when Barry said he was ready to finalize EasyOS 2.3, I just had to say something. I had 4 issues that were not being address and this was one of them.
Thanks for your help.

rcrsn51

#2528 Post by rcrsn51 »

You can probably get the same result just by using a symlink.

ln -sf /usr/bin/mkisofs /usr/bin/genisoimage

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Windows10 installation rweport

#2529 Post by BarryK »

lp-dolittle wrote: Do you have an explanation for the fact that your unintended Easydd command left untouched partition 4 on the NVME drive?
The EasyOS image file is 1.3GB expanded, so this only overwrote the first 1.3GB of the NVME drive.

Partition-4 is 1GB at the end of the drive, so was left untouched. As was the GPT at the end of the drive. By using the 'gdisk' utility, I was able to recover the primary GPT from the backup GPT at end of drive, then partitions-1 to -4 were recognised, except that 1-3 were wreaked.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2530 Post by BarryK »

There is a new Chromium SFS:

https://bkhome.org/news/202006/chromium ... eated.html

Regarding my blog post about booting Win10 off a usb-stick, and not working because it a udf filesystem in the iso:

https://bkhome.org/news/202006/how-to-b ... stick.html

So how come the iso boots from optical media? Wouldn't the UEFI-firmware have the same non-recognition of udf problem?

When googling around, didn't read any reports of people not being able to boot, once they had obtained a double-layer dvd and burnt to it. But, I haven't tried it myself.

lp-dolittle

Easydd

#2531 Post by lp-dolittle »

@ Barry

Hi Barry,

Thank you for your explanation!

I understood the steps which you described in your Win10 installation report, but I was surprised that Easydd does not 'eliminate' all data on the target drive, by default.

Am I right to suppose that the Easydd command does not result in a really pristine installation of *.img.gz or *.iso files on previously populated drives and that, to reach this latter goal, before running Easydd, 'zeroing' of the drive would be required.

This might be a security measure which always should be taken into account.

kind regards

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Easydd

#2532 Post by BarryK »

lp-dolittle wrote:@ Barry

Hi Barry,

Thank you for your explanation!

I understood the steps which you described in your Win10 installation report, but I was surprised that Easydd does not 'eliminate' all data on the target drive, by default.

Am I right to suppose that the Easydd command does not result in a really pristine installation of *.img.gz or *.iso files on previously populated drives and that, to reach this latter goal, before running Easydd, 'zeroing' of the drive would be required.

This might be a security measure which always should be taken into account.

kind regards
Well, it would be good to eliminate the GPT at the end of the drive, so that the old partition information cannot be recovered.

In my case with the accidental write to the nmve drive, it is good that the backup GPT was still there, however, normally it would be better to eliminate it.

it would be easy enough to write a certain number of zeroes to the physical end of the drive, to get rid of that backup GPT. I could add that to easydd.

That's if the flash stick uses GPTs, most don't, they are, I think, just MBR partitions, where partition tables are only at the beginning of the drive.

EasyOS image is also just a MBR.

EDIT:
Sorry, I replied too hastily. The EasyOS image file is two partitions, a 639MB fat32, and a 640MB ext4. At first bootup, the ext4 partition is expanded to fill the drive. If there was a pre-existing GPT at end of drive, it would get overwritten -- the MBR system does not know anything about GPT and the partition and ext4 filesystem would get created right to end of the drive. Any pre-existing partitions would no longer exist.

I think it would be just about impossible to recover any information from those pre-existing partitions, so I don't think there is any reason to erase the drive beforehand.

lp-dolittle

EasyOS 2.3.1

#2533 Post by lp-dolittle »

@Barry,

Hi Barry,

Thank you also for your EDIT! I highly appreciate your support!

Running EasyOS 2.3.1 (as, previously, after installing it onto the external IDE HD via Easydd), I again checked the partition informations (GParted, fdisk, gdisk).

To my surprise, and in contrast to your EDIT, gdisk still mentions a 'secondary partition table' and an overlap of this 'end of drive gpt(?)' with the expanded ext4 partition (?), after first stating 'gpt not present'! Just a confusion of the gpt-tool?
See screenshots 1 and 2.

Sorry for potentially causing additional trouble! It's not my intention to annoy unnecessarily!

kind regards
Attachments
Screenshot 1.png
(93.98 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
Screenshot 2.png
(106.63 KiB) Downloaded 28 times

doggone

#2534 Post by doggone »

rcrsn51 wrote:You can probably get the same result just by using a symlink.

ln -sf /usr/bin/mkisofs /usr/bin/genisoimage
Yes, linking mkisofs to genisoimage work fine and also solves my problem.

Parts of Peasydisc do not work the current way EasyOS and Easypup are being distributed and have not worked since the switch from cdrkit to cdrtools.
You are the person that wrote the script that put many of the disk tools into this handy package called Peasydisc. It's funny that at this late stage of EasyOS/Buster development, this missing genisoimage problem is coming up? By the way, I really like this utility and use many of it's features all the time. It's simple, easy to use and it works. Thanks

Rodney Byne

A little Chromium-80 trick

#2535 Post by Rodney Byne »

Useful container sfs-downloaded Chromium-80 trick.

If you want to ready-launch in Incognito mode,
just quickly slide the container icon to the nearby edit icon
and quickly let go of the mouse.

You will see this screen;
#!/bin/sh
empty -f ec-chroot chromium

Add this more useful command to the end of the line
as this;
empty -f ec-chroot chromium --incognito
and file>save

Clicking the Chromium icon will now ready-launch
Chromium in incognito mode.
Regards.

ras

#2536 Post by ras »

Regarding my blog post about booting Win10 off a usb-stick, and not working because it a udf filesystem in the iso:

https://bkhome.org/news/202006/how-to-b ... stick.html
Very useful post for those that have to use W10 on occasion. Using linux to fix windows is of course, the right way to do it!

Now that you have a fresh install of W10, is there an easy way, (with linux, of course) to make an iso image of that install to keep handy on a usb stick? So that one does not have to go thru so much effort in the future?
Or better still, how to back up a factory new W10 install with linux on a usb stick so that one does not have to depend on the recovery partition or redownload etc.
It would make your mini tutorial complete.
RAS

Good Direct

#2537 Post by Good Direct »

Hi All!

Please help me! How can I install wine and which version fits easy OS 2.3.1.

I tried old pet packs that I used on other Puppy, but they didn’t work.

Thanks

mikeslr

#2538 Post by mikeslr »

I'd be surprised if none of the new versions you'll find on this thread wouldn't work. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 128#725128.

But first: Is EasyOS a 64-bit system? If so, to run any 32-bit wine you first have to load/install a 32-bit compatibility sfs/pet. Does EasyOS have one? Then, after installing/loading you have to open a terminal and type --without the quotes-- "ldconfig". The first letter is a small "L". After doing that it will take a while for a 32-bit environment to be created. It is almost as large as a Puppy. If your terminal prompt appears instantly, something went wrong. Type the command again. And a reboot may be needed after it takes.

I don't have an EasyOS; never set one up. So I can't test. But if I'm not mistaken EasyOS functions more like a Full install than a Frugal. If that's the case, trying things randomly can pose the problem of how to undo them. So, let me suggest the Portable Wine version 3.3_v2.1 which you can download from here, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 245#989245. It downloads as a tar.gz which you unpack (UExtract if EasyOs has it). Move the extracted folder where ever may be convenient: /mnt/home is recommended. Rename the extracted folder just "wine-portable" without trailing version number: that makes it easier to create individual menu entries if your want to. When installed, it will create several menu entries. The one named Wine Windows Program Loader presents a GUI for all the Windows applications you install; i.e. not Windows portables which don't install to C:. Windows programs --such as Wine Config-- show up on the Utilities Menu.
Under most Puppies, if you Right-Click the Wine-portable folder there'll be a "Register" listing on the Popup Menu. Under others, you enter the folder and Left-Click the script named "Register". What that does is install several bash-scripts, some icons and the Menu entries: that rather than the 100s of files of a 'regular' wine. Wine-portable is actually an external rox-app. So while it installs like a pet (PPM Uninstall to remove it) it is powered by a Self-Contained SFS. If it doesn't work, uninstalling provides little chance of braking anything.

Remember, with either wine or wine-portable, before you can do anything else you have to configure it. Under wine the terminal command is wine "wine winecfg". Under Wine-portable the command is "wine.sh winecfg". I'm pretty sure that under Wine-portable trying to start your first windows program will trigger winecfg. But starting with the command can't hurt. Or use its Menu entry.

Last suggestion: you should have an internet connection functioning when you start: wine/wine-portable will want to download mono and gecko.

L18L

old wine from puppy

#2539 Post by L18L »

Good Direct wrote:Hi All!

Please help me! How can I install wine and which version fits easy OS 2.3.1.

I tried old pet packs that I used on other Puppy, but they didn’t work.

Thanks
Suggest to install wine from petget in your easy0s. :wink:

Good Direct

wine

#2540 Post by Good Direct »

:) thanks L18L
I started with petget, but there are only playonlinux and winetricks packages in the package manager. Of course, I updated the database in the first round. Only then did I use the old files.
In the meantime, I went through what mikeslr wrote and couldn't find a 32/64 bit compatible file.
If I understand correctly, is it possible to install wine in the built-in container (racy, buster, xenial) in easyOS?
Thanks for the comments :)