The Debian Buster Starter Kit (64bit)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
rcrsn51

#41 Post by rcrsn51 »

ras wrote:I have used installed the newer kernel and It boots fine. Being a bit inexperienced with kernel upgrades, I have often experienced difficulties installing apps, as apt does not often find what I am looking for. Should I have a different expectation when working with sid? as far as just finding the proper repo to list in sources.list?

I realize this is a general question more about sid than the starter kit. But it is where I think I need to begin.
The kernel upgrade ONLY affects the kernel. You will still get application packages from the Buster repo.

rcrsn51

#42 Post by rcrsn51 »

dancytron wrote:It has puppy like users with a "run-as-user" script that runs things as the "puppy" user
Fred's Dog builds have this mechanism but the Starter Kits do not. As you work through the various build scripts for apps like chromium, each one will have its own "run-as-guest" setup customized for that app.

dancytron

#43 Post by dancytron »

rcrsn51 wrote:
dancytron wrote:It has puppy like users with a "run-as-user" script that runs things as the "puppy" user
Fred's Dog builds have this mechanism but the Starter Kits do not. As you work through the various build scripts for apps like chromium, each one will have its own "run-as-guest" setup customized for that app.
Ok. I mispoke.

I always keep a copy of the Starter Kit as a place to test new stuff but I've never followed all your instructions for different apps...

Semme

#44 Post by Semme »

So what are we using to place apps on the taskbar? Or is this manually editing a configuration file?

http://openbox.org/wiki/Help:Configuration

https://wiki.debian.org/Openbox

https://www.devpy.me/your-guide-to-a-co ... h-openbox/

And app window size / screen placement control? Still using Openbox but there's no Xdefaults.

One other thing. I have a white large mouse cursor that I've selected. The new size is fine while positioned over an open browser, not so switching back to the desktop.

This was reversed as a Seamonkey issue from a long time ago. Is there an easy fix?

As for JWM, which setup for Buster? dd64 0.0.2 or setup 0.0.3?

Any objections to running ROX?

TIA.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

fredx181

#45 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Semme,
So what are we using to place apps on the taskbar? Or is this manually editing a configuration file?
Right-click on an icon (on the left in taskbar) > "Application launchbar settings"

setup 0.0.3 (I should remove v dd64 from repo, it's a leftover) and there's a menu entry under "System tools" > "Start JWM". (and "Start Openbox", to get back)
But note, this JWM configuration setup is in fact made for another (more extended) build, so needs tweaking, most items on the desktop are broken but the menu is OK
Yes, you can use ROX but it's very basic, i.e. doesn't include the right-click options that pcmanfm has.
Your other questions I cannot answer.

Fred

fredx181

#46 Post by fredx181 »

Semme wrote:So what are we using to place apps on the taskbar? Or is this manually editing a configuration file?
Right-click on an icon (on the left in taskbar) > "Application launchbar settings"

setup 0.0.3 (I should remove v dd64 from repo, it's a leftover) and there will be a menu entry under "System tools" > "Start JWM". (and "Start Openbox", to get back)
But note, this JWM configuration setup is in fact made for another (more extended) build, so needs tweaking, most items on the desktop are broken but the menu is OK
Yes, you can use ROX but it's very basic, i.e. doesn't include the right-click options that pcmanfm has.
Your other questions I cannot answer atm.

Fred

Semme

#47 Post by Semme »

:D Too easy, Fred.

JWM and it's menu were fine. It gives me a base to work with.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<