How to install Yapi installer in Linux lite?

Booting, installing, newbie
Maulers

How to install Yapi installer in Linux lite?

#1 Post by Maulers »

Hello everyone
I hope you are well. Can anyone please tell me the commands to install yapi installer on Linux lite please? I've tried sudo app install. I would be grateful for some help please? Thanks maulers.

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

For Linux Lite, not totally sure if it can use YaPi.
YaPi is only designed to work in Puppy and install only Puppy versions.

In an official version of Puppy, this is how to do it.

Download the YaPi pet to some location you can find it.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107601
In Rox file manager navigate to yapi.pet location.
Left click on it to install.

Note:
Puppy does not have apt.
Any pet or deb package is installed by downloading it and left clicking on it.

If the computer has UEFI bios.
YaPi will do installs OK, but the boot loader, it uses, is not UEFI compatible, with secure boot enabled. in the UEFI bios. Works OK if secure boot is disabled, legacy boot enabled, or CSM enabled.

Note:
Puppy is designed to work best as a frugal install.
Frugal is just the name used. It is still the complete Puppy version installed, but in a special way.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bullpup

Re: How to install Yapi installer in Linux lite?

#3 Post by bullpup »

Maulers wrote:Hello everyone
I hope you are well. Can anyone please tell me the commands to install yapi installer on Linux lite please? I've tried sudo app install. I would be grateful for some help please? Thanks maulers.
Morning Maulers.

I have used Linux Lite for a bit just not so long ago. The reason I left it was mainly because of it's 'light' nature.
LL is a minimal distro which is good but LOTS of independents for (3rd party) apps do not come pre-installed.

USB-Creator-GTK is your best bet. Install through APT or Synaptic (you'd have to install the latter one manually) and it will install just fine.
You can use it to create a puppy USB and install (frugal) later anywhere from that USB drive. UFEI ( EDIT : <==== Sneakingly changing this into UEFI so no one can read my horrendous typo) compatible.

Regards BP.
Last edited by bullpup on Tue 30 Jun 2020, 18:03, edited 3 times in total.
[size=75][i]~Brave puppies need Brave Browsers~[/i][/size]
[url=https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DyTvylADQqf567oY0SL4aHskDu_rxzqd/view?usp=sharing]Brave Browser 'Portable' Tarball[/url]

mikeslr

#4 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Maulers,

Might be best to make it clear where you're at and where you want to go. I'm guessing that you (1) at having Linux Lite as your current operating system and that (2) you want to add some Pupp(ies) as alternative, and thought (3) Yapi might do the job. But, that's a guess.

Assuming the (1) and (2) are correct, as others have noted Yapi might not be the right choice. What might be the right choice may depend on something you haven't mentioned: Does your computer use the UEFI boot mechanism?

As far as I know, there are no binaries in Yapi -- it is composed of bash scripts. It may be possible to deconstruct the Yapi pet and manually install its files. But even if those assumptions are correct, Yapi wouldn't work with UEFI; and even if it did there may be better (easier/more flexible) choices.