Facebook and the US Federal Trade Commission

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy
bigpup

Facebook and the US Federal Trade Commission

#1 Post by bigpup »

FTC Imposes $5 Billion Penalty and Sweeping New Privacy Restrictions on Facebook.
https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-r ... strictions
Facebook, Inc. will pay a record-breaking $5 billion penalty, and submit to new restrictions and a modified corporate structure that will hold the company accountable for the decisions it makes about its users’ privacy, to settle Federal Trade Commission charges that the company violated a 2012 FTC order by deceiving users about their ability to control the privacy of their personal information.
A very big fine or is it?

From Facebook investor report.
we paid the $5.0 billion settlement amount due under our modified consent order with the FTC, which took effect in April 2020.

So, has it really changed?

I really wonder :roll:
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bullpup

#2 Post by bullpup »

Nah, FB can do pretty much do what they want and they're doing just that.

"Hey, users agree with the terms of use before an account is registered." And they're right.

And FB has mountains of cash so they'll be 'happy' to pay some fines here and there and that's the end of it.

As long as there is a mass interest in using FB regardless of the mess and political crap this will persist.

"Freedom of speech sandboxed"
[size=75][i]~Brave puppies need Brave Browsers~[/i][/size]
[url=https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DyTvylADQqf567oY0SL4aHskDu_rxzqd/view?usp=sharing]Brave Browser 'Portable' Tarball[/url]

NeroVance

#3 Post by NeroVance »

bullpup wrote:And FB has mountains of cash so they'll be 'happy' to pay some fines here and there and that's the end of it.
In that case, perhaps they need a mountain of a fine. Though you'd think $5,000,000,000 would be a pretty big mountain. Perhaps an additional order of magnitude, or additional fines around that ballpart, would hurt them enough to make them reconsider :?.

mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

Hmmm thats just the fine...and they carry on merrily!

How much money in gossip lol... actually I noticed years ago how fewer adverts I got when I blocked facebook at the router.

Most likely not paying tax in countries where they make money either...definitely the case in the UK.

Just another leech on life eh

mike

Semme

#5 Post by Semme »

Mike, placed with :wink: far more eloquence than my mind would parade.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

mikeb

#6 Post by mikeb »

The phrase that is abounding is 'Corporate Criminals' .... keeps this stuff apart from the conspiracy mumblings.

mike