Boot into Puppy from grub4dos with Wine working?

Using applications, configuring, problems
boof

Boot into Puppy from grub4dos with Wine working?

#1 Post by boof »

can i boot up from grub4dos into puppy with default wine working,so i can command line[?] enter windows instruction? pls advise. sometimes i need rar expansions with win operands, and am helpless.

s243a

#2 Post by s243a »

You could create a menu entry for some kind of wine shell.
Find me on [url=https://www.minds.com/ns_tidder]minds[/url] and on [url=https://www.pearltrees.com/s243a/puppy-linux/id12399810]pearltrees[/url].

boof

#3 Post by boof »

where do i learn how use wine pls? Is there a tute?

perdido

#4 Post by perdido »

boof wrote:where do i learn how use wine pls? Is there a tute?
Hi boof,

Do you have wine installed or are you starting from scratch?

All the info for wine is here https://www.winehq.org/

If you already have wine installed in puppy you can open the command prompt by opening a terminal and typing

Code: Select all

wine start
That will open a command window in wine (like command.com in DOS or windows)

If you need to install wine its easiest to install one of the pre-built packages for your puppy from the wine thread or one of the pet package repositories.

Have fun!

boof

#5 Post by boof »

root# wine64-stable start
wine: created the configuration directory '/root/.wine'
wine: could not exec wineserver
root#

what haven't i done pls?

bionicpup64-8.0
edit #1
root# dir
autorun.inf help.cnt help.hlp icon.ico interface.dat Run.exe skin
pls how do I install these files. no PATH set.

root# dir

autorun.inf:
[autorun]
OPEN=Run.exe
ICON=icon.ico

how to install above files, pls? says command not found if enter filename.

boof

#6 Post by boof »

root# wine64-stable start
root# PATH=/root/Downloads/Opel/
root# autorun.inf
root#

nothing happened, do i need a full xp directory PATH tree?

autorun.inf is executable. title line removed.

Semme

#7 Post by Semme »

Which Wine did you install? If not PPM, PROVIDE a link!
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Mike Walsh

#8 Post by Mike Walsh »

Personally, I would never touch "autoruns" with a barge-pole when I did use Windows. I have zero intentions of helping anyone to use them under WINE. Some things I draw the line at!

(Besides which, I wouldn't even know where to start...)

Mike. Image

Semme

#9 Post by Semme »

Boof, omitting file names, outline your goals even if they entail more than five minutes of your time.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Mike Walsh

#10 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ boof:-

In all honesty, mate, if you want to do Windows stuff that bad, why don'tcha just run Windows?

WINE has always been a wee bit "hit & miss" (frankly, with some releases over the last few years, it's been more "miss" than "hit"..! :roll:), and, although the guys at the WINE project do a bloody marvellous job, and the end product is steadily getting better & better as time goes by, it DOES have "limitations", y'know?

It's not Windows. It's a darned good, real-time 'emulation', but there are limits to what it can do.

There's no shame in using Windows alongside Linux. I'm lucky in that those Windows apps I do use seem to run well under WINE, but frankly Windoze will always be better at running Windoze software than WINE will. It's good for the vast majority of applications, but for autorun stuff, you're now clambering down into the murky waters of the low-level, nitty-gritty layer of what actually makes M$ system-level stuff do what it does. That's asking too much of WINE.

Windows is better at some stuff than Linux will ever be. Conversely, Linux has strengths that MyCrudSoft will never equal as long as they have a hole in their backsides.....

Or.....you could run a basic Windoze install in a VM, and do stuff that way inside Linux. But don't ask me how you'd get that to "autostart" at boot. Way above my 'pay-grade'.

Just my "two-penn'orth", FWIW.

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Fri 10 Jul 2020, 09:18, edited 1 time in total.

perdido

#11 Post by perdido »

Hi boof,

Since you are using Bionic64 bit you can probably find the wine pet in the "Quickpet" software installer.

If you can't find it in Quickpet you can go straight to the Bionic64 repository at
https://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/p ... -bionic64/
Scroll down toward the bottom for the wine pet.
-------------

Have fun!

Mike Walsh

#12 Post by Mike Walsh »

perdido wrote:Hi boof,

Since you are using Bionic64 bit you can probably find the wine pet in the "Quickpet" software installer.

If you can't find it in Quickpet you can go straight to the Bionic64 repository at
https://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/p ... -bionic64/
Scroll down toward the bottom for the wine pet.
-------------

Have fun!
.....and make sure you have the 32-bit compatibility SFS loaded before you do. (Far better to use the 32-bit version of WINE; WINE64 has limitations & "issues", it seems....)

Mike. :wink:

boof

#13 Post by boof »

my puppy is on my hard disk, and installing windows will wipe a lot of useful data. its a full install. could create "savefile "tree and park it safely on web unti i setup win and puppywith lick then install "savefile". just thought i could load and use the files, which are for service manual for car. free, non signin others not exist, apparently. plain pdf jfor corsab 2000 just n/a annonymously.

bigpup

#14 Post by bigpup »

Finally, the clue as to what you are really trying to do.

What exactly are the files you want to open and look at?

Got a download link to them, so we can try to open them?

Puppy has some very good programs for accessing different types of files. May already have what you need.

If not, there is probably a Linux program that can be installed, to do it.

Have you seen this:
http://www.opeltech.org/cman-501.html
Looks like a web page of the service manual
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

mikeslr

May be simpler than you think

#15 Post by mikeslr »

Hi boof,

If I read your post correctly, what you have somehow acquired and are now have in your /root directory are the following files:

and somehow you have in /root/ the /.wine directory. You wouldn't have the latter unless wine wasn't already configured and ready to function.

The way to start window programs (.exe) is (a) just click (maybe double-click) the exe or (b) open a terminal and type --without the quotes-- "wine /path-to-executable/executable. In your case "wine /root/ Run.exe."

The 'catch' is that you installed the 64-bit Wine. If the program you're trying to run is a 32-bit program you need the 32-bit Wine as the 64-bit wine doesn't run 32-bit programs.

First use PPM to uninstall the 64-bit Wine.

As Mike mentioned you need the 32-bit Compatibility SFS. Get it using Menu>Setup>Quickpet>Useful>32-bit Compatibility SFS. After it downloads --AS YOU HAVE A FULL INSTALL DESPITE ALL THE ADVICE AGAINST THAT-- you can't SFS-Load it. So, Right-Click it and select Install. Once it's installed open a terminal and type --without the quotes--"ldconfig": that's a small "EL", not a I/i nor a 1.
It should take some time before your terminal's prompt re-appears. The command creates a new 32-bit environment and many links to the rest of your system.

I've never used the wine you get via quickpet; always one published by version2013. You'll find them on this thread, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 128#725128. But rather than go into a long explanation of how to pick a version and follow the links, 'off the top of my head' and mostly because it's a relatively new version, you can use the one found here: https://lilfile.com/GMQpMV

You'll also want the wine_extras-v2.1.pet which creates menu entries: https://version2013.yolasite.com/page1.php#wine_menu

After you install the wine pet, open a terminal and type --without the quotes-- wine winecfg. This will create the new /root/.wine folder.

After that you should be able to run the Run.exe.