toshiba laptop crash at "starting x with..."

Booting, installing, newbie
alexcalin

toshiba laptop crash at "starting x with..."

#1 Post by alexcalin »

Hi!
I have a laptop Toshiba sattelite S1800-614 (intel celeron 1100, 128mb ram, 20gb hard-disk, Trident CyberBlade-Ai1 video card with 16mb not shared, ali m5451 ac'97 audio controller) and I use a pcmcia realtek RTL8139 ethernet adapter and an usb mouse benq.
the install works until I'm receiving the next message:
"This script is run X windows for you...
0x0111 640x480x16
Starting X with video mode 0x0111 and mouse input/mice..."
and nothing happend.
I tried with many versions of puppy with the same result.
On my desktop they run perfectly all of them.
Help!!!

danleff

#2 Post by danleff »

have you tried Bladehunter's version with framebuffer support? That one worked for me on my lappy with the same video chipset.
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith

#3 Post by Guest »

Noooooooooooooo

No more frambuffer...it's toooooooooooo slow

Please stop referring to it.....XFree is the go.....much much more crisper and smoother

danleff

#4 Post by danleff »

I'll have to try it again....it did not work on my CyberBlade video.

--Hannibal Smith

danleff

#5 Post by danleff »

I take that back!

Just tried the latest release and it works. I think I had tried the puppy-XFree86-4.4.0-atheros.iso version.

Had to tweak the XF86Config a bit (rusty on this), but the CyberBlade works out of the box.

Unfortunately, my atheros wireless does not work (DWL-G650) and my funky Thinkpad bios is giving fits with a USB mouse. I hate the track button. The usb mouse works in Linspire. I'll have to look at this further.

Nice work!

--Hannibal Smith

Perkins

#6 Post by Perkins »

I am currently having an identical problem with another, later model Toshiba, however all the links I see to the reccommended version appear to be broken...

Any idea where a fellow could find it? Or some substitute that would work? The command line just doesn't seem to work so well for web browsing and such.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

Perkins wrote:..... all the links I see to the reccommended version appear to be broken...

Any idea where a fellow could find it? .....
Could you tell us where you found these links?

MU

#8 Post by MU »

Bladehunter does not host Xfree-Puppy any more. See http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic.php?t=2295

You might try the Xorg-Dotpup for existing Puppy-installations instead.

Got several positive feedback for it:

http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic.php?t=2303

Mark

Perkins

#9 Post by Perkins »

There are links to both the versions he used to have in several threads on this forum, and even one on his webpage. They all go nowhere.

There is one on the puppy downloads page that goes to a thread on this forum, but the link there also goes nowhere. If he's no longer hosting it, then perhaps this should be removed.

Does anybody else host it? I promise I won't pester them with questions. I'm pretty good at screwing up... er... figuring out computer systems all on my own.

I would try the xorg dotpup, but I'm at something of a loss about how to start... If I give puppy space to store stuff on my disk, it tries to launch X, which crashes the machine. If I don't, then I get the commandline, which I can use, but I can't seem to find any instructions for installing dotpup packages from it. (I have been known to totally miss things that are staring me in the face though.)

edit: Never mind, found something that might work to install it from the command line... Wish me luck.