Multi .2fs, E17, reboot/shutdown, multi users

Booting, installing, newbie
T_Hobbit

Multi .2fs, E17, reboot/shutdown, multi users

#1 Post by T_Hobbit »

Hi

I look around but I was unable to find a correct answer so far (still looking) to this questions:

1) How can I have 2 or more pup_save.2fs at a bootable puppy usb pen drive and chose which pup_save what to load?
I try to make pup_save_001.2fs and 002.2fs but didn't work. Only if they are at hda1 (found that looking at the forum - during boot I can choose which pup_save to use).

2) I'm using E17.sfs. Wonderfull! Great! Good job!
But... shutdown/reboot don't work. Which files sould I edit (and how) to make it work? And what files should I edit to fix the aplication menu?

3) Is it possible to login as user? Or how can I disable the root warning of eMule?

I'm using v2.14 (now), booting from a usb 2Gb flash drive at a IBM Notepad P42 or at a celeron2,66GHz desktop.

T_Hobbit

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

T_Hobbit,

I think I can partially answer the first of your questions. There are many other forum members who are ready and willing to help with the other questions. You can make it easier on them by asking only one question per thread. With 3 separate topics under discussion, this thread will be difficult to follow. Please, it is OK to post each question as a new topic. (Hint: you can edit your posts.) :)

As to your first question, I haven't done this, but I think if you rename the existing pup save file, puppy will create a new file the next time it saves. Keep the same file extension and Puppy will ask you which save file you want to use when it boots. I may have that a bit garbled. I know there are many threads discussing this topic in the forum, and describing solutions.

Dougal

#3 Post by Dougal »

1) it's a bug in the 2.14 init script.

2) There's some file, I can't recall which at the moment, which you just have to modify to fit Puppy.
try looking in the sfs files -- probably in /initrd/pup_ro3 or pup_ro4 -- which is a text file (not many of those in E17) and you have the "shutdown command" and "reboot command" parameters there.
You should replace the defaults with "wmreboot" and "wmshutdown".

3) There is the user "spot", but I don't know how well it works. Concerning Emule, usually the person compiling the program has to hack it so it doesn't display the message about running as root.
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Thanks, Dougal. I didn't read T_Hobbit's post very carefully before I attempted a reply. :oops:

T_Hobbit

#5 Post by T_Hobbit »

How can I fix the init script bug?