Puppy 2.15CE RC3 Clean Up

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
WhoDo

Puppy 2.15CE RC3 Clean Up

#1 Post by WhoDo »

As Project Co-ordinator I feel it is appropriate that I start this list of things to be addressed before RC3 can be released as Final - hopefully before Good Friday (that's this coming Friday folks).

Some of the things I have seen that need "polish" are:

1. Offline web page still refers to RC1. That will no doubt be addressed in the update to incorporate CSS in the offline page.

2. Updated version of Icewinconfig (Tronkel) to be included in ISO - uploaded as dotpup for RC3.

3. Menu positions of some new applications to be addressed - eg. Pfind, Defaults Wizard, Menu entry for GUI .desktop file creator required (alien-to-xdg)?

4. Problem with Dougal's Enhanced Remaster script no longer runs as called from menu - runs ok in console.

5. Inadvertant personal settings to be cleaned out - eg WhoDo's login for wiki is back in RC2. Haven't checked RC3 yet. *sigh*

6. Documentation to support sfs files explaining how to include them for Normal hard disk install i.e. not frugal or coexist where they live beside pup_save.2fs

7. Compatability issues for JWM devotees using XDG with 2.15CE - see posts from richard.a regarding these.

8. Leafpad no longer runs from menu - segmentation fault when run at CLI - may be version specific and require regression to fix - Geany set as default in RC3

9. Use of a cursor theme to enhance 2.15CE appearance?

There may be more, but that's a hefty start. These issues need to be resolved so Puppy 2.15CE RC3/Final can be released later this week. Any comments?
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

:)
thanks for starting this Warren

'Previously known as Guest' (Forum name) has an updated sfs with Xara in it. I want it . . .

When I tried the ethernet connection wizard from a pristine RC3 boot my card was not auto recognised. Not smart enough to know why. Normally it is and I click on ethernet and then DHCP. So somewhere the network drivers have not been loaded . . .

Also the default sound settings in RC3 . . . I did a podcast from RC2 and the mic settings were low. Also playback is low. What do we / can we change?

The offline page I will wait till Tuesday for updates (hopefully before then). Tuesday will do final tweaking and get it to you before Wednesday

I am hoping Oliver will have time to create an updated 2.15 manual which will link from the web page . . .

Also I am not sure how to update RC2 to RC3 from a frugal install? Tried 'fixmenu' from the console? For now I best do a new one.

Also another mirror for RC3 would be good. Anyone up for that?

We also need a secretary for the 1st April meeting. Yes it is a real April Fools meeting. This fool will be there. Amish gives his apologies but will not attend.
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Puppy215Meetings

:)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

PhilCoo

#3 Post by PhilCoo »

Just tried RC3 and these are the problems I have encountered:

no soundcard detected,all other versions this is done no problem.Ran alsa wizard and no PnP or PCI cards detected. The soundcard is a VIA 82xx and detected and works in RC2

network setup not loading driver,can not auto identify correct driver. via-rhine is detected in RC2 and works ok.Can not load manually in Rc3.

chooselocale,when clicking on "fetch" "usage for xdialog" file opens up.tried modding "chooselocale" line 197 to "zdrv" not "download" but no change.

regards

Phil

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

Lobster wrote:'Previously known as Guest' (Forum name) has an updated sfs with Xara in it. I want it . . .
Where is that?

Previously known as Guest

#5 Post by Previously known as Guest »

BarryK wrote:
Lobster wrote:'Previously known as Guest' (Forum name) has an updated sfs with Xara in it. I want it . . .
Where is that?

http://www.pkagfiles.net/puppy215CE/
http://www.pkagfiles.net/puppy215CE/pgs_215.sfs
http://www.pkagfiles.net/puppy215CE/pgs_215.sfs.md5.txt
http://www.pkagfiles.net/puppy215CE/pgs ... pdated.txt

I've been waiting on info from Nathan. :?:

WhoDo

#6 Post by WhoDo »

See link above.
Lobster wrote:When I tried the ethernet connection wizard from a pristine RC3 boot my card was not auto recognised. Not smart enough to know why. Normally it is and I click on ethernet and then DHCP. So somewhere the network drivers have not been loaded . . .
Strange. I'll go back and check. Technically there should be MORE sound support rather than less. I've added alsalib support for a whole slew of legacy drivers, as supplied by tempestuous.

UPDATE: see below re status of zdrv_215.sfs ... strangely missing from iso rebuild. I will upload an amended RC3 ASAP, and watch RC4/Final closely for any repeat.
Lobster wrote:Also the default sound settings in RC3 . . . I did a podcast from RC2 and the mic settings were low. Also playback is low. What do we / can we change?
Playback is set to 80% in RC3. The mic setting is deliberately muted to avoid feedback on laptops fitted with inbuilt mics. Using the new, you beaut Puppy mixer should make adjustment easy. :P
Lobster wrote:The offline page I will wait till Tuesday for updates (hopefully before then). Tuesday will do final tweaking and get it to you before Wednesday
Good news. I don't want to leave it too late as uploading can take a while and there are the time differences that mean mirrors are also sometimes slow to update.
Lobster wrote:Also I am not sure how to update RC2 to RC3 from a frugal install? Tried 'fixmenu' from the console? For now I best do a new one.
Updates for frugal are the same - just copy over the pup_215.sfs file and run fixmenus after boot; all the other files remain the same unless you also update an sfs plug-in.
Last edited by WhoDo on Sat 31 Mar 2007, 15:19, edited 1 time in total.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

WhoDo

#7 Post by WhoDo »

PhilCoo wrote:Just tried RC3 and these are the problems I have encountered:
Ok, looks like all of these are traceable back to zdrv_215.sfs so I'll have a look and see why that is. I didn't notice that when I burned and tested the RC3 iso, but my machine has the inbuilt i810 driver that doesn't rely on zdrv_215.sfs for sound support. The newest build was, oddly, 17Mb smaller than RC2 and that's just about the size of zdrv_215.sfs! Watch here for updates on the hunt.

Cheers

UPDATE: Yep, sure enough. zdrv_215.sfs has somehow been dropped from the iso build. :? Don't know how that can happen, but I suspect it may be something to do with the permissions status of zdrv_215.sfs ... will watch that closely and make sure it goes into the Final rebuild

In the meantime, simply downloading zdrv_215.sfs and placing it in the same place as your pup_215.sfs will solve the problem. My humblest apologies for the error. :oops:

PhilCoo

#8 Post by PhilCoo »

Thanks for quick reply,
Added zdrv_215.sfs to the iso and burned to disk,sound and network now work ok again.However still have to modify the chooselocale file on line #197 to read "zdrv" not "download" to work correctly.It then works ok without the earlier lockup caused by the restartwm file.

thanks for the advice,enjoying this 215 version of Puppy.

Phil :lol:

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#9 Post by Flash »

I downloaded 2.15CE RC3 with Xwget, added several .sfs files to the iso with ISOmaster, and burned it to a DVD+RW with burniso2cd. Burniso2cd said the burn was not confirmed but I booted it anyway. It seems to work fine. I'd like to report two items (in their order of importance to me):
  • 1) Puppy 2.15CE does not recognize my 1360 x 768 LCD screen. Xorg shows a maximum available resolution of 1280 x 1024, which would be wrong anyway, as the maximum vertical resolution of the display is 768. Xorg also offers 1024 x 768, which works fine except it doesn't use a fourth of the screen and the icons on the right side of the screen (console, disk free, etc.) have their right edge chopped off. Barry put 1360 x 768 in Xorg for a previous version of Puppy but it didn't work for me, possibly because the refresh rate was wrong (too high?) Windows reports that the display will only accept 60 Hz refresh rate at that resolution. Several people in the forum tried to help me make it work but I couldn't see out how to edit the file that controls the display resolution (I forget which one it was now. :oops: ) Also, the freememory box is too small to show the numbers (it only shows about 1.5 numbers.)

2) The Puppy Desktop background chooser looks like a great idea but I can't see how it is supposed to be used. I used mtPaint to add "2.15CE RC3 Graphics" to the puppy-blue.jpg background, and managed to replace the default background with it, but I have no idea how I did it. :lol: (Does clicking "Fit" change the background to the highlighted one?)

WhoDo

#10 Post by WhoDo »

PhilCoo wrote:...still have to modify the chooselocale file on line #197 to read "zdrv" not "download" to work correctly.It then works ok without the earlier lockup caused by the restartwm file.
Fixed for RC4/Final release. Thanks, Phil.

Cheers

WhoDo

#11 Post by WhoDo »

Flash wrote:2) The Puppy Desktop background chooser looks like a great idea but I can't see how it is supposed to be used. I used mtPaint to add "2.15CE RC3 Graphics" to the puppy-blue.jpg background, and managed to replace the default background with it, but I have no idea how I did it. :lol: (Does clicking "Fit" change the background to the highlighted one?)[/list]
Yep. MU's background changer doesn't have an "apply" button, so the only way to select the background is to choose one of "fit", "stretch", "center" or "tile" ... or I think using the "reload" button at the botton also works.

Still considering the resolution issue.

Cheers

rmockler

#12 Post by rmockler »

Could someone please give me a link where I can download zdrv_215.sfs?
~Dick

WhoDo

#13 Post by WhoDo »

rmockler wrote:Could someone please give me a link where I can download zdrv_215.sfs?
Download zdrv_214.sfs from here and rename to zdrv_215.sfs

http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr/puppylinux/

Hope that helps.

WhoDo

Re: Puppy 2.15CE RC3 Clean Up

#14 Post by WhoDo »

With Nathan's help I have also managed to get minixcal working when you click on the clock in the taskbar. Now you won't get an analog clock but a small calendar and an option to start up the default calendar if you need it. Another great inovation from Nathan F!

Cheers

cthisbear

#15 Post by cthisbear »

From the Community home page

http://www.puppylinux.org/user/viewpage.php?page_id=1

whiteguysamurai on March 31 2007 06:01
My brother and i were looking around for something to place on his 1Gb usb thumbdrive, and i suggested DSL.
But after DSL failed to install right, he found puppy linux!
Puppy linux works!

So much so, other distro makers should blush in envy.

Considering how good the live CD is, i can only speculate as to what a full blown user distro might be like with KDE/Gnome/XFce and full codec support.
Puppy linux is great, and i hope it gets the same interest as ubuntu has gotten, because in my opinion, it's much better!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
All the above shows what happens when things go right.
I hope however he doesn't download Puppy Viz RC3.
He would be lost forever, that Puppy inductee.

" Springer wrote:
It looks like the real gate for 2.15CE release is getting all the SFS documentation as well as SFS support/management tools in place. This could be well worth slipping a "ship date" for, since it really needs to be done right and work pretty close to flawlessly or it could hurt rather than help Puppy's "it just works" reputation. "

Hmmm! Got that right.

So unfortunately when things go wrong we come back to my post

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 2&start=15
"
Once again I ask why just about the majority of releases of Puppy not originating from Barry himself.... do not run Xvesa when it is selected...and then annoyingly goes back to the prompt.
Barrys 2.16E still runs Xvesa with no hiccups. Hail to the chief.
I loathe Xorg and only choose it for laptops."

"I will state the obvious once again.
If you want Windows refugees to use Puppy.....they don't want a problem at bootup...forget it...all that work...all the pretty pics...all the hard yakka...all the whingeing and or requests by myself or others went down the gurgler. Irritating pissant things at boot will not cut it. "

So still no Xvesa. ..........And all of this below.

" Lobster
When I tried the ethernet connection wizard from a pristine RC3 boot my card was not auto recognised. Not smart enough to know why. Normally it is and I click on ethernet and then DHCP. So somewhere the network drivers have not been loaded . . .

PhilCoo

Just tried RC3 and these are the problems I have encountered:
no soundcard detected,all other versions this is done no problem.Ran alsa wizard and no PnP or PCI cards detected. The soundcard is a VIA 82xx and detected and works in RC2

network setup not loading driver,can not auto identify correct driver. via-rhine is detected in RC2 and works ok.Can not load manually in Rc3.

UPDATE: see below re status of zdrv_215.sfs ... strangely missing from iso rebuild. I will upload an amended RC3 ASAP, and watch RC4/Final closely for any repeat.

The newest build was, oddly, 17Mb smaller than RC2 and that's just about the size of zdrv_215.sfs! Watch here for updates on the hunt. "

So still no Xvesa. ..........And all of the above.
Though my sound worked and right click is back.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Edited:
( Sure not the end of the world and mistakes happen. But I think that RC3 needs removing off the servers if possible. Barry did it once recently. )

VIZ Standard Edition Release candidate 3a 131 MB
- release 31 March 2007

Actions speak louder than mirth...ha! ha!..( quick work here WhoDo. )

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
This is not a personal attack.
Being the head honcho of any project often involves criticism but rarely any respect or the understanding that often the hard slog involved to achieve success is not often apparent to others.
I believe you are nearly over the finishing line.
The goal should not be how quickly you finished, but that you finish to the best of your abilities.

With respect Chris.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#16 Post by Lobster »

RC has been updated to RC3a
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Puppy215Downloads

use broadband and wget (in Puppy) and RW-DVD's (you can re-record many times on the same disk)

If you record using multmedia / burnISO2CD burner in Puppy it auto blanks the disk (even though it asks for a blank disk)

you can then test and offer suggestions. We are offering a Puppy Final for Good Friday
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

WhoDo

#17 Post by WhoDo »

cthisbear wrote:So unfortunately when things go wrong we come back to my post

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 2&start=15
"
Once again I ask why just about the majority of releases of Puppy not originating from Barry himself.... do not run Xvesa when it is selected...and then annoyingly goes back to the prompt.
Barrys 2.16E still runs Xvesa with no hiccups. Hail to the chief.
I loathe Xorg and only choose it for laptops."...[snip]...
So still no Xvesa. ..........And all of this below.
...[snip]...So still no Xvesa. ..........And all of the above.
Though my sound worked and right click is back....[snip]...
I believe you are nearly over the finishing line.
The goal should not be how quickly you finished, but that you finish to the best of your abilities.
Chris, you did you see my update to your post?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 2&start=34
The Xvesa problem was resolved AFAIK. Are you telling me it's back? Oh, poop! I just checked and those files are missing again!

There is something screwy going on here with Dougal's enhanced remaster script. It seems some changes I've made are not being added when the ISO is remastered. I'll keep my eye on the next release to make sure those changes are in the release before uploading. At least it lets me edit /etc before burning. *sheesh* - as if this wasn't hard enough already!

Cheers, and thanks for the heads up! On the question of release date, that is now out of my hands. There is another official release waiting in the wings and CE is holding that up. I have given my word, in good faith, that Puppy 2.15CE will release by Good Friday. From now until Wednesday is wart removal time!

#18 Post by Previously known as Guest »

Just noticed with feedback from Lobster, xara wasn't working & maybe other progarns if they were installed before mounting an .sfs file.

In a clean boot up, it seems ro work, :?:

WhoDo

#19 Post by WhoDo »

Previously known as Guest wrote:Just noticed with feedback from Lobster, xara wasn't working & maybe other progarns if they were installed before mounting an .sfs file.

That can be checked by doing "which progname" in a console. It will tell you which one it is pointing to. Running from a console should give the sfs version. Did Lobster try running it from the console?

Cheers

#20 Post by Previously known as Guest »

WhoDo wrote:
Previously known as Guest wrote:Just noticed with feedback from Lobster, xara wasn't working & maybe other progarns if they were installed before mounting an .sfs file.

That can be checked by doing "which progname" in a console. It will tell you which one it is pointing to. Running from a console should give the sfs version. Did Lobster try running it from the console?

Cheers
Not sure yet & reading my post, I kant spel. :roll: