Puppy 2.15CE RC3 Clean Up

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Lobster
Official Crustacean

#21 Post by Lobster »

what do I type in at the console? xara does not hack it. More testers required . . .

Download RC3a + the sfs package with xara . . .

8)

The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable . . . if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering" The Fourth Doctor Who

http://tmxxine.com/Wikka/wikka.php?wakka=HomePage
New Dr Who started in UK - wot do you mean irrelevant?

oh well . . . :oops:
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Previously known as Guest

#22 Post by Previously known as Guest »

Lobster wrote:what do I type in at the console? xara does not hack it. More testers required . . .

Download RC3a + the sfs package with xara . . .

8)

The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable . . . if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering" The Fourth Doctor Who

http://tmxxine.com/Wikka/wikka.php?wakka=HomePage
New Dr Who started in UK - wot do you mean irrelevant?

oh well . . . :oops:
Xara works for me in a fresh 2.13, 2.15 install, can't comment otherwise, more testing & feedback required!! If the pgs_215.sfs doesn't work, it will be withdrawn. :?:

#23 Post by Previously known as Guest »

In the pgs_215 addition, xara-gtk shoud be in the menu after running fixmenus, otherwise try xaralx-gtk from console. Please give feedback.

WhoDo

#24 Post by WhoDo »

Previously known as Guest wrote:In the pgs_215 addition, xara-gtk shoud be in the menu after running fixmenus, otherwise try xaralx-gtk from console. Please give feedback.
On my system it shows as xaraLX0.7 and boots as Xara Xtreme Linux Edition and seems to run fine.

Running from the console should expose any missing dependencies. Please post any errors here. I get the following errors when running from the console:

Code: Select all

(xaralx:28767): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_window_get_origin: assertion `GDK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed

(xaralx:28767): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_window_get_origin: assertion `GDK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed

IS_WINDOW (window)' failedAL **: gdk_window_get_origin: assertion `GDK_ 
sh: syntax error near unexpected token `:'
sh-3.00# 
sh-3.00# (xaralx:28767): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_window_get_origin: assertion `GDK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed
Doesn't seem to prevent it from running though.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

WhoDo

Re: Puppy 2.15CE RC3 Clean Up

#25 Post by WhoDo »

WhoDo wrote:4. Problem with Dougal's Enhanced Remaster script no longer runs as called from menu - runs ok in console.
Problem relates to Rox 2.5 passing backdrop mouse clicks to the window manager instead of the script. When I uncheck that option under Compatability in Rox 2.5, Dougal's script runs as normal. Problem is we lose the ability to click on the backdrop to bring up the Icewm menu. *sigh*
WhoDo wrote:5. Inadvertant personal settings to be cleaned out - eg WhoDo's login for wiki is back in RC2. Haven't checked RC3 yet. *SIGH*
Have cleaned out all cookies, etc. Hopefully that will resolve.
WhoDo wrote:8. Leafpad no longer runs from menu - segmentation fault when run at CLI - may be version specific and require regression to fix - Geany set as default in RC3
Have regressed Leafpad to v0.8.1 for Final. Program now runs normally.

Cheers
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

#26 Post by Previously known as Guest »

WhoDo wrote:
Previously known as Guest wrote:In the pgs_215 addition, xara-gtk shoud be in the menu after running fixmenus, otherwise try xaralx-gtk from console. Please give feedback.
On my system it shows as xaraLX0.7 and boots as Xara Xtreme Linux Edition and seems to run fine.

Running from the console should expose any missing dependencies. Please post any errors here. I get the following errors when running from the console:

Code: Select all

IS_WINDOW (window)' failedAL **: gdk_window_get_origin: assertion `GDK_ 
sh-3.00# 
sh-3.00# (xaralx:28767): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_window_get_origin: assertion `GDK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed
Doesn't seem to prevent it from running though.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Duplicated same errors on a fresh bootup. Seems to work OK though otherwise... I'll try to look into it in the next couple of days.

If run from console, run xaralx-gtk, not xaralx.

Thanks for the feedback.

cthisbear

#27 Post by cthisbear »

" The Xvesa problem was resolved AFAIK. Are you telling me it's back? Oh, poop! I just checked and those files are missing again!

There is something screwy going on here with Dougal's enhanced remaster script. It seems some changes I've made are not being added when the ISO is remastered. I'll keep my eye on the next release to make sure those changes are in the release before uploading. At least it lets me edit /etc before burning. *sheesh* - as if this wasn't hard enough already "

Fair enough...it is April Fools Day after all...look on the bright side,
Chris

raffy

almost complete

#28 Post by raffy »

It's almost complete - things are looking good.

1. There are missing icons in the menu, specifically in desktop, setup, utility, multimedia.

2. The browser font size seems one size too large; am able to do "CTRL -" and the font in my 800x600 screen looks just right.

3. What happened to the Flash icon and link in the help file - is it not required by the inclusion of the Flash Player plugin?

4. There is the "not found" message when xorg is activated at first boot - this is a first boot so perhaps that should not happen?

5. In 800x600 screen, the write, calendar, calc and help icons are stacked on top of each other at the top right corner. Same with trash and install at the bottom right corner. (For info only, may not be important if the default screen is really 1024x768.)

6. As the JWM config changer does not work, why not just remove the options and just leave the default? It's in /root/.jwm/themes.

7. The browser history is copied to the ISO. Perhaps clear the history before copying the browser profile to the remaster.

About the sfs add-ons, perhaps more polishing can come after the main release is done? Else there could be too much work in too short time.

Cheers!
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#29 Post by Lobster »

I am happy with the offline web page, spent a few hours today simplifying
So unless anyone changes it quickly - there is still time, this is ready for inclusion in RC4 (Wednesday) and Final Friday
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Puppy215WebPage
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

markst

Flash and Opera 9.10 in RC3

#30 Post by markst »

When running the flash test from Adobe's site in Puppy 2.15 rc3 using Opera 9.10....I get a gray box and nothing else. Same test displays find in Firefox under RC3.

Take care

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#31 Post by Lobster »

That is because Opera does not come with flash - you have to install it. Luckily the default is Seamonkey in Viz

there is a flash for opera pup link (probably needs updating) on the bottom of this page
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/OperaBrowser
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

WhoDo

Re: Puppy 2.15CE RC3 Clean Up

#32 Post by WhoDo »

WhoDo wrote:Some of the things I have seen that need "polish" are:

1. Offline web page still refers to RC1. That will no doubt be addressed in the update to incorporate CSS in the offline page.
Lobster has addressed and a new offline page is available.
WhoDo wrote:2. Updated version of Icewinconfig (Tronkel) to be included in ISO - uploaded as dotpup for RC3.
Done.
WhoDo wrote:4. Problem with Dougal's Enhanced Remaster script no longer runs as called from menu - runs ok in console.
Fixed. Evidently related to Xvesa problems that have now been resolved.

Only items 3, 6, 7 & 9 remained to be resolved from my original post.

Cheers

WhoDo

Re: almost complete

#33 Post by WhoDo »

raffy wrote:1. There are missing icons in the menu, specifically in desktop, setup, utility, multimedia.
Which version are you using, Raffy? Are you using JWM or IceWM?
raffy wrote:2. The browser font size seems one size too large; am able to do "CTRL -" and the font in my 800x600 screen looks just right.
Yes, I set the font size so it was a bit larger for the default 1024x768 resolution. When you go back to 800x600 the font will be too large, as will be the desktop icons which are set at 48x48.
raffy wrote:3. What happened to the Flash icon and link in the help file - is it not required by the inclusion of the Flash Player plugin?
Replaced by Flash icon and link in offline web page that loads by default on first running Seamonkey.
raffy wrote:4. There is the "not found" message when xorg is activated at first boot - this is a first boot so perhaps that should not happen?
Yes. The remaster script was dropping a few things, including the file /etc/TZ - that has now been fixed.
raffy wrote:5. In 800x600 screen, the write, calendar, calc and help icons are stacked on top of each other at the top right corner. Same with trash and install at the bottom right corner. (For info only, may not be important if the default screen is really 1024x768.)
Thanks, raffy. Lobster has been having trouble getting icons to place properly at resolutions higher than the default 1024x768 as well.
raffy wrote:6. As the JWM config changer does not work, why not just remove the options and just leave the default? It's in /root/.jwm/themes.
Richard a is looking into JWM compatability issues.
raffy wrote:7. The browser history is copied to the ISO. Perhaps clear the history before copying the browser profile to the remaster.
Done. Thanks.
raffy wrote:About the sfs add-ons, perhaps more polishing can come after the main release is done? Else there could be too much work in too short time.
Yes. I'm treating the sfs plug-ins as a separate, ongoing issue that can be addressed as time progresses. Only Puppy 2.15CE Standard Edition is being pushed out by Easter.

The plug-in system will also be improved by the addition of Sunburnt's boot configuration editor, and Pizzasgoods sfs file editor.

Thanks for your testing and support.

Cheers

Lobster
Official Crustacean

aproximation of the latest offline page

#34 Post by Lobster »

:)

help needed

an aproximation of the latest offline page without icons can be found here

http://tmxxine.com/viz/

the HTML code as usual is here
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Puppy215WebPage

(I removed the flash after potential Opera probs were reported)

going here you will get to wiki pages that give info on running / installing packages

Some of the programs are now in sfs
but individual programs can be added

Some of the links and pages need work
. . . that would be helpful

http://tmxxine.com/viz/

Part of the offline page will also eventually be used on the wiki front page from which the code has a shared basis . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

raffy

JWM config

#35 Post by raffy »

1. There are missing icons in the menu, specifically in desktop, setup, utility, multimedia.
Which version are you using, Raffy? Are you using JWM or IceWM?
That was the result of change in JWM theme in Desktop - JWM Config - one more reason to remove the JWM theme options!
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

tday

Wireless

#36 Post by tday »

Rudy 13 and Pups 13-15 have trouble finding my Linksys wireless card when I boot. The connection wizard finds it without a problem (mostly) but can't seem to save that info, although it saves all the other changes. Earlier pups and rudys had no problem. There's probably a way to tell the pup to run the wizard every boot, but isn't it doing something like that already?

Ice icons: I guess you either like them or hate them. I like them. Also many thanks to someone for Seahaven. Now I don't have to keep installing the Firefox "cards" add-on.

WhoDo

Re: Wireless

#37 Post by WhoDo »

tday wrote:Rudy 13 and Pups 13-15 have trouble finding my Linksys wireless card when I boot. The connection wizard finds it without a problem (mostly) but can't seem to save that info, although it saves all the other changes.
Enhanced wireless support in Puppy 2.15CE RC4/Final may solve your problem. Otherwise post your enquiry on the dev forum where one of the code wizards will see it.
tday wrote:Ice icons: I guess you either like them or hate them. I like them. Also many thanks to someone for Seahaven. Now I don't have to keep installing the Firefox "cards" add-on.
As one Seahaven addict to another, you're welcome! :P

Cheers

Rudy

Issue with soundcard

#38 Post by Rudy »

There is something strange going on with the soundcard part.

I am testing RC3a. This problem did not exist in RC1.

After a "normal" installation" to HD of PL STD, no sound.
See also my post here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 58d854707a

After copying all available sfs files to /, I clicked on an a .mpr file in Rox - "and there was sound". So the driver was loaded somewhere. But no application was open. Something was playing the file in the background. Quick look to terminal (#> top) revealed nothing peculiar- I did not know which application to kill. Wait until file ends. Then, I right-clicked on the same file, "open" with gxine: sound :D ! I stopped gxine and opened xmms, chose play file: xmms loaded, played the file in silence very fast (1min in 10 sec): no sound.

Reboot. Start PMixer (nice program by the way), and played with the lever: "noise" on the speakers came up at highest level and died when putting lever down: so there is a link between alsa and the speaker.

Open mp3 with gxine. The file is loaded, gxine displays the "goom" visual, time counter runs correctly: but no sound.

:shock:

Can it be there is a missing link between alsa and the applications (sometimes)? Are there drivers hidden in some of the .sfs files, activated during first boot-up ?

(Lots of stupid questions :? )

Also, the .sfs files never seemed to be activated (visible in the menu or executable via command/terminal)... but I will search on the forum for this, I haven't tackled this so far.

Rudy

mysticmarks

seamonkey wouldnt run

#39 Post by mysticmarks »

I tried the RC3a and could not get seamonkey to run. I already went back to RC3 so i cant say why. :oops: i have also noticed on one of my desktop systems that unless i run a test of ath0 with the connection wizard, RutilT won't detect the wireless card. The Wizard does not say it is loading any driver or requesting me to.

Amd sempron 3300+
256mb ram
pci belkin wireless g desktop card

Once its tested it is detectable, and configures fine.

Also, i have not tested to answer my own question here, but i use puppy on usb only. Can i burn a puppy disc from a usb install? IF so, what about adding a basic sytem menu entry to clone the running puppy to a blank disk or other media? (i.e.- Clonepup)

richard.a

Re: seamonkey wouldnt run

#40 Post by richard.a »

mysticmarks wrote:Also, i have not tested to answer my own question here, but i use puppy on usb only. Can i burn a puppy disc from a usb install? IF so, what about adding a basic sytem menu entry to clone the running puppy to a blank disk or other media? (i.e.- Clonepup)
That would be very useful too. I support that idea.

However I think you should post the idea in another part of the forum as a brand new post, because it'll get a lot more exposure, and being a new idea, Warren asked we didn't put any here as this is just for cleaning up the bits left for 2.15 :)

Thanks for suggesting it.

Richard in Adelaide
[i]Have you noticed editing is always needed for the inevitable typos that weren't there when you hit the "post" button?[/i]

[img]http://micro-hard.dreamhosters.com/416434.png[/img]