No driver in Puppy for my smc ethernet card? (Solved)

user12

No driver in Puppy for my smc ethernet card? (Solved)

#1 Post by user12 »

Hi, new to linux here. I just burnt damn small and puppy linux to cd's tonight. Anyways I cant seem to find a driver on puppy that works with my ethernet card. Damn small worked from the get go but Im not sure how to check what driver its using. I also have beos on my slave drive and it says its using a realtek driver. I know the ethernet card is a smc ez card smc1211tx. Anyways can someone give me some advice on how to get this working?

Bruce B

#2 Post by Bruce B »

I have a question: Have you ran Puppy's network wizard yet?

user12

#3 Post by user12 »

If your talking about the wizard that loads different drivers, then yes. I tried loading many manually and I also used the tool that let it identify potential drivers.

user12

#4 Post by user12 »

Thanks for the help I got it working.

Bruce B

#5 Post by Bruce B »

I guess the wizard did it?

I've got a dlink ethernet card. As far as I know Puppy also sees it as a realtec. I figured it was probably the chipset.

It works fine until it burns out the card, but that's only about every three weeks. So no big deal.

Just joking, its been working fine for years.

user12

#6 Post by user12 »

Yeah the wizard said to look for animated image that I never saw but I tried it anyway and it worked. I have another quick question. How can I use beos's bootman to boot puppy linux. I dont want to install grub when I already have a bootmanager. I have already formated part of my master drive with partition magic and installed puppy on it. I went into bootman and added the partition that I installed puppy on but when I try to boot it it says boot sector not found. Thanks for the help.

Bruce B

#7 Post by Bruce B »

user12 wrote:Yeah the wizard said to look for animated image that I never saw but I tried it anyway and it worked. I have another quick question. How can I use beos's bootman to boot puppy linux. I dont want to install grub when I already have a bootmanager. I have already formated part of my master drive with partition magic and installed puppy on it. I went into bootman and added the partition that I installed puppy on but when I try to boot it it says boot sector not found. Thanks for the help.
Like yourself, I prefer having only one boot manager. Unlike you, I know nothing about BEOS or its boot manager.

The last sentence of your posts causes me to think your boot manager is looking to boot off the partition's boot sector. The Linux bootsector is not bootable unless you made it that way. I wonder if you installed GRUB to the superblock of that partition, if it would do the trick?

I can't say for sure. It's worth a try, the worst that could happen is you destroy everything :)

user12

#8 Post by user12 »

HaHa, success. Actually I finished it at like 6 in the morning. I appreciate all the help Bruce. Now Im off to figure out how to set up the swap file, see if I can load fluxbox, and maybe a firewall if I need one with linux.....
Thanks alot