Simplepup: Linux done right!

Booting, installing, newbie
sirmrmatt

Simplepup: Linux done right!

#1 Post by sirmrmatt »

I use Ubuntu, I tried Puppy and loved it (since it's quick, runs all in ram if I want, and has a great hardware detection whatever-they-call-it)...HOWEVER...

I just downloaded Simplepup and it is AWESOME!

I have been looking for a Linux to "give to kids," one that I could dress up with, say, a Spongebob start button, Nickelodeon background, etc. that would just do surfing, painting, typing and simple stuff like that.

Or that I could give to my grandma, or use myself for daily surfing, etc.

Simplepup is IT!!

The big icons, the great hardware detection, the clean, smooth look of xfce, I love it!!

However...the program is not very up-to-date.

Mostly, I don't care if I have Firefox 2 vs. 1.5 or whatever...I am just talking about the partition program...it is serviceable, but if it could be updated to add gparted, that would be a bit better.

Also, make the system try to automatically load a network driver and auto-try to get assigned a DHCP address.

That would make it amazing!!

I am not a programmer and cannot offer help in that way, but I certainly have nothing but praise and encouragement for SIMPLEPUP!

It is AWESOME! PERFECT!

Thank you to it's developer and I DO hope that a stable yet slightly more updated one will be thrown together VERY SOON!!

How can we "inspire" some motion on this front? Is there interest from developers in this? I believe this, along with bigger systems showcasing Beryl, will make linux a dream come true for many "average to dumb" users like my parents, in-laws, grandparents, children, etc. and it runs so fast and smooth...

What can we do?

Best,
Matt J.

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

Also, make the system try to automatically load a network driver and auto-try to get assigned a DHCP address.
A bit of editing in the /etc/rc.d/rc.network file may be needed...there is a note in there to do with not detecting a live network during boot and therefore not setting up the network card..this can be overruled which is what i had to do (I use static ip but may help dhcp)...when configuring the network card did you click on save settings for reboot?

for updating parted or anything else for that matter then downloading and installing the latest .pup file should do the trick though some updates may use files which are not in simplepup though can be added.

I'd recommend hackyremaster...you can customise to your hearts content with it and then reburn the result.....by the way the /usr/lib/mozilla folder is obsolete in simple pup...(a symlink may be needed for gxine to firefox folder...rightclick..link..name)...so can be deleted reducing the iso by 10mb....it also seems to sort out some errors in simplepups boot script...a couple of rewritable cd's come in handy.

It's a great looking puppy version...my son is uses it most of the time.in multisession mode with no hard drive (bomb proof setup)...there where improvements to the look of gtk in particular which are far better than the standard clunky look and xfce is excellent. You might like to try xfce with the rox pinboard...there is a thread about it ... a good looking combination.

The forum and wiki have all the info you need and once you get into it you will find things not as daunting as they first appear.

above all

have fun

mike