CD won't eject

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
elenara

CD won't eject

#1 Post by elenara »

Hi all Puppians!

I'm very happy with Teenpup 1.0.0 (Puppy 2.10 based), but I need help to solve the problem with my LG CD-RW drive (CD-RW GCE-8525B, Firmware 1.03, in master position on second IDE), because eject fails, the drive appears 'locked'. My machine is Compaq Presario 5BW313 BRZL (Celeron 700Mhz, 256Mb RAM) and I have only one CD drive (without space to install another). I work with two HDs; my Teenpup always boot from multisession CD-R (not CD-RW, to avoid errors); pup_save.3fs (805Mb) and pupswap.swp (104Mb) are in /hdd7 (a Vfat32 partition/9Gb, called "Linux", where I can save files to share with Windows applications).

I tried Puppy Chubby 1.0.5 (on 2005, when I found Puppy Linux), Puppy 2.0 Beta with Opera Browser (on 2006) and PuppyBR (Puppy 1.0.8 based, Portuguese menu translations, on 2007), all running from CD-RW media, without errors. With these versions, after Puppy is loaded my CD drive is then free for other purposes.

But when I running Teenpup (kernel 2.6.16.7) or Puppy Live-CD 2.14 (kernel 2.6.18.1) the problem is: eject fails, the drive appears 'locked'...

What happens? What's wrong? I tried bootup from CD with the command "puppy pfix=ram", but the CD drive problem is persistent using Teenpup 1.0.0 or Puppy 2.14.

So I started the terminal accessory (Rxvt) with the command "dmesg >boot.message" and the log was attached to this post.

Maybe the CD eject works for some people and not for others? Why? Is this a typical problem with Puppy 2.1.x versions?

Can I get any solution in this forum, please? I must have my CD drive "unlocked", to work with Puppy!

Thanking you in advance, I am,

elenara
Attachments
boot_msg_elenara.zip
Please, read Dmesg log to help elenara.
(3.58 KiB) Downloaded 954 times
Last edited by elenara on Mon 09 Apr 2007, 22:36, edited 1 time in total.
:P I'm learning... always!
(Any supposed offense is because of bad english or idea formulation and was not intended in any way.)

plinej

#2 Post by plinej »

what happens if you open up rxvt and type:

eject /dev/hdc

or:

umount /dev/hdc

elenara

#3 Post by elenara »

Hello plinej,

Thanks for your interest. There are the replies:
sh-3.00# eject /dev/hdc
umount: /dev/hdc: Device or resource busy

sh-3.00# umount /dev/hdc
umount: /dev/hdc: Device or resource busy
Any other idea? Do you read my attached file? Do you found someting wrong?

I don't understand what happens... CD drive is busy all the time... I tried five versions of Puppy Linux, all in the same machine (Compaq, 256Mb Ram etc.). With three versions (1.0.5, 1.0.8 based and 2.0 Beta) CD drive is "unlocked". But with Puppy 2.10 based (TEENpup) and 2.14 the command " eject" doesn't works...

Thanks again, and have a nice day!

elenara
(Any supposed offense is because of bad english or idea formulation and was not intended in any way.)

john biles

#4 Post by john biles »

Hello elenara,
My PC at home has 512MB's of ram, while the PC at work has 256MB's of ram.
As TEENpup 1.0.0 is 226MB's in size, the PC at work won't allow me to use the CD drive. During the bootup of TEENpup 1.0.0 the work PC doesn't copy TEENpup to the Ram and it runs from CD like other Live Distro's, Have you notice this happening also on your PC or does it appear to load into you ram.
If it loads in to your ram, there wouldn't be much available ram left for you to use to run TEENpup 1.0.0

This is one reason why I'm thinking about make the next TEENpup smaller.
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

plinej

#5 Post by plinej »

Yeah, I looked thru the file but didn't notice anything unusual. I'm really not sure what the problem is. I would think booting with pfix=ram would not cause that but since you've tried that I don't know what to suggest.

elenara

#6 Post by elenara »

Hi jonh billes and plinej,

Thanks for your attention. I'm learning to use Linux, any help is welcome.

TEENpup 1.0.0 has 226Mb of compressed files, but puppy-2.14-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso has "only" 90Mb, and my CD drive is also "locked" in the same machine... I think that the problem isnt't the size of ISO file, or the number of applications that the user can access...

On machines with 512Mb RAM no problem with CD drive, running TEENpup or Puppy 2.14 full drivers? Is my problem the limit of RAM (256Mb)?

Best Regards,

elenara

plinej

#7 Post by plinej »

That must be the case, the full filesystem doesn't load into ram so the cd drive is still in use.

elenara

CD won't eject

#8 Post by elenara »

Hello john biles,

Your private message (reply) quoted:
I personally have 1 CD drive (hdd) and 1 DVD drive (hdc) on my PC.
I sometimes have to tell a Linux distro to mount mnt/hdd for my CD to work even though it has been setup as mnt/cdrom or something like that. Maybe you could try something like that.
I tried... See the result:

Code: Select all

sh-3.00# mount mnt/hdd
Can't find mnt/hdd in /etc/fstab

sh-3.00# mount /mnt/hdc
Can't find /mnt/hdc in /etc/fstab
Reading /etc/fstab

/dev/ram0     /initrd      ext2     defaults               0 0
none          /proc        proc     defaults               0 0
none          /sys         sysfs    defaults               0 0
none          /dev/pts     devpts   gid=2,mode=620         0 0
/dev/fd0      /mnt/floppy  auto     noauto,rw              0 0
What means?

Thanks again.

elenara

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#9 Post by Flash »

Elenara, I think what John Biles was trying to say is, when there is not enough memory for the entire of Puppy to load into RAM, Puppy must keep the CD mounted for instant access to it. That is why you can't eject the CD from your low-RAM machine.

More RAM would be the best solution, but simply creating a 256 MB swap partition on your hard disk might work. I've never installed Puppy on a hard disk drive so I really don't know, but a "frugal install" to the hard disk might solve your problem.

There are many other forum members who know more about this than I do. I'm sure one or more of them will be along soon to clear this up. :)

Pence

#10 Post by Pence »

Click Menu->System->Top view running processes. This will display the memory used and free. 256mb ram should be enough for Puppy 2.14 unless you have onboard video using some of the ram. If so, you could try entering your computer bios and lower the onboard video ram down to 32mb, then save the changes and reboot. Just to test if the cd is still locked.

john biles

#11 Post by john biles »

Hello elenara,
Flash is right about the swap Partition. I have TEENpup installed on my HD with 1 GB of swap.
When I boot up TEENpup Live the mem applet in the menu bar tells me I have 1GB of mem available to me.
Also I got Puppy 2.10 working on a 166mhz Pentium 1 PC with 32Mb's of Ram.
It would only install after I added 64Mb's of swap.
I hope this gets you one step closer to being able to use your Drive.

elenara

CD won't eject - SOLVED

#12 Post by elenara »

Hello Everybody,

I have GOOD NEWS! :lol:

I finally have my CD drive "unlocked" on Puppy SeaMonkey Full Drivers 2.14 AND TEENpup 1.0.0!!! Now I can use my only CD-RW drive to boot Puppy, to eject Puppy disk and then, to put CDs with professional documents and photos, music (MP3 and Wav files), videos (AVI format) etc. More: I can run many applications to open files (including PPS and PPT), to navigate on Web and to download e-mails etc., all in the same machine, without more physical RAM or new swap file.

Miracle? No! (Well, almost...) What I did?

A) Background of my first post

I was in trouble because I did many tests with successive versions of Puppy Linux during the last two months, following this logical order:

1) Puppy Chubby 1.0.5 (my first Puppy, used on 2005 and reviewed on 2007). My intention was to check keyboard configuration to work with Portuguese language that include accentuation plus c-cedil (unsolved, because I don't know how to make changes in Xvesa files); to configure Internet connection with ADSL service; to run Gaim etc. Chubby works very well, in conformity with announcements: "Booting from CD, Puppy will load totally into RAM so that the CD drive is then free for other purposes." Source: http://linux-man.co.uk/shop/product_inf ... 1619ea9...

Note: On 2005 Puppy Chubby stayed on second plan for me because it didn't have Dial-Up modem support I needed, and because my keyboard configuration was unsolved. But Chubby has good performance on auto setup Internet cable connection (tests with NetVirtua/Brazil).

2) PuppyBR 1.0.0 (Puppy 1.0.8 based) - Portuguese menus. Configured US keyboard to write in Portuguese language; CD drive free for other purposes and all that OK.

3) Puppy 2.0.0 with Opera Browser 9.0 Beta: US Keyboard (Portuguese language) and CD drive free etc.: all things OK.

4) TEENpup 1.0.0 (Puppy 2.10 based) - US Keyboard (Portuguese language) OK, but CD drive appears "locked". Well, TEENpup is "exciting!", wrote Raffy (here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=15956) and I agree!! I added some applications, like Opera browser 9.10, Skype; Puppy Search; LeafPad (like Notepad); TuxCards and Knowde (two lasts are Outlines). I did my configurations: Firewall, printer; Flash Player 7 (arrives with TEENpup), FTP and e-mails accounts. Screen background was changed. So I was ready to create my "personal" TEENpup. I did a clean-up of my /root folder and ran TEENpup Remaster CD script. I followed "PuppyLinuxWiki : RemasterThings" instructions (here: http://puppylinux.org/wikka/RemasterThings) but I was confused and some mistake happened. My remaster becomes unsuccessful, but I saved files on "puppylivecdbuild" folder (my pup_210.sfs has 291Mb; the original file, on CD, has 233,1Mb), on other partition of my second hard drive.

Note: I posted tips about keyboard configuration (US model with accentuation + c-cedil) here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=16996

4.a) I ran TEENpup booting with the command "puppy pfix=ram" but the problem with CD drive was not solved.

5) Puppy SeaMonkey Full Drivers 2.14 - Normal boot (none command). This version has a good Xorg Wizard with many options. For Brazilian users with US keyboard this is a solution, but the problem with my CD drive was not solved at this stage. Other things were OK.

What happened? Well, if you run Puppy 2.14 from live-CD with normal boot, "Puppy will automatically perform any required upgrading of your personal storage file/partition (usually pup_save.3fs file)." (Source: http://www.puppyos.com/download/release-2.14.htm).

I think that after the upgrade Puppy 2.14 was running the local file created by TEENpup, with my configurations and apps, but without my personal icons. The amount of free RAM memory was "insufficient" to "unlock" CD drive, in this case.

B) Solutions to my problem

Pence wrote:
256mb ram should be enough for Puppy 2.14 unless you have onboard video using some of the ram.

Compaq BIOS is "frugal" about system information. I'm not sure about amount of RAM memory that is reserved to onboard video (Intel 82810E Graphics Controller). I know that my machine has 256Mb of RAM and Windows reports 255Mb of RAM (System Information Tool). I conclude that there is no abnormal allocation of resources to video.

On TEENpup I followed Pence's good advice:
Click Menu->System->Top view running processes.
But the reports don't corroborate the hyphotesis about "low memory", with exactness... (I can attach the logs in future message, if someone requests.)

Pence's information was my guide. New tests became indispensable. What I did:

First, I ran Puppy 2.14 booting with the command "puppy pfix=ram". No upgrading now! So, Puppy 2.14 started and -- voilà -- CD drive was "unlocked"!!! Pence is right! Bingo!! :P

Well, but how can I solve the CD drive problem with TEENpup? I observed one "special" line when booting TEENpup (Dmesg not lists this in the boot log). All the times the reported command was "ls *.sfs... No such file or directory..." So, TEENpup loads pup_210.sfs (233,1Mb) from LiveCD. After loads file pup_save.3fs (805Mb) and pupswap.swp (104Mb) that are in /hdd7 (a Vfat32 partition/9Gb, called "Linux")

I tried this solution: From the folder "puppylivecdbuild" (/hdd6), I did a copy of my "personal" pup_210.sfs (291Mb) and I put it together with pup_save.3fs (805Mb) and pupswap.swp (104Mb) i.e., on /hdd7 (Vfat32).

Note: I did these tasks on Windows, because I'm newbie on Linux.

Second, I ran TEENpup booting with the command "puppy pfix=ram". When TEENpup started with original configuration, I found my CD drive "locked", like during my prior tests.

Finishing, I ran TEENpup with normal boot (without command). I observed that my pup_210.sfs (291Mb) on /hdd7 was searched, founded and loaded; after this pupswap.swp (104Mb), also on /hdd7, was loaded. When started with my personal configuration (keyboard, Internet connection, screen background, many apps etc.), my CD drive was finally "unlocked"!!! :P

I don't understand "how" TEENpup is working with these two files (pup_210.sfs + pup_save.3fs) on the same partition (hdd7). About pupswap.swp I understand something. I think that TEENpup "forgot" the original pup_210.sfs on LiveCD... After all, my only CD drive is "unlocked", and it's sufficient at this moment, because I have space on my second hard drive (not on my first HD!).

OK, the main problem is solved. But there is another problem yet. Audio CD don't run, I don't know why. MUT shows "Audio CD player" but apps doesn't work. I tried Gxine, RealPlayer, XMMS Music Player, XfreeCD Music Player, Ripper X and CD Song Ripper.

Here there is GXINE O.5.7 screen message:

Autoplay input plugin CD Audio failed  
Check engine output for further details.  
The xine engine failed to start.  
No input plugin was found.  
Maybe the file does not exist or cannot be accessed, or there is an error in the URL.  
Unknown host: unable to resolve icecast.freeteam.nl 

Here there is Ripper X screen message:

Error code 32  
Make sure that you are a member of the "cdrom" group, or otherwise have appropriate permissions to access the CDROM device. 

Only PB Ripper is OK. CD Scan worked with no problem and two tracks were ripped (I killed the process after this). I heard these tracks, saved on .Wav format. They have good quality. After these tasks, I tried others Audio CD (originals CDAs, of course), but none app ran CDA file...

Well, how can I heard my Audio CDs on TEENpup is a new question, for a new post, I think. And I think also about swap drive activation (I have a Swap partition, but Puppy must format it to recognize this special space).

At last and for everybody, I want to say

Many thanks!

elenara

CD won eject

#13 Post by elenara »

Hello john biles,

You wrote:
I have TEENpup installed on my HD with 1 GB of swap.
Sorry, but I need confirmation please.

Do you have a swap partition with 1Gb?

Your comment:
My PC at home has 512MB's of ram, while the PC at work has 256MB's of ram.
As TEENpup 1.0.0 is 226MB's in size, the PC at work won't allow me to use the CD drive. During the bootup of TEENpup 1.0.0 the work PC doesn't copy TEENpup to the Ram and it runs from CD like other Live Distro's.
Do you have a swap partition on your PC at work or at home? I think that your PC at home has a swap partition with 1Gb.

Thanks

elenara

john biles

#14 Post by john biles »

Hello Elenara,
Sorry TEENpup is giving you this much trouble.

At home my PC with TEENpup is installed to my HD and I have setup 1GB of swap for it. My PC also has 512MB's of ram for TEENpup to load in Live if I so desire it when working on TEENpup version 2.0.0 During my LIve sessions on my home PC, I can see TEENpup using the swap partition as well as my RAM.

At work as it is works computer, I have not setup a swap partition on it.
The other staff members use Windows and I only bootup TEENpup to try things on.

As for your playing of CD's I only have problems if I don't let the CD settle in the CD drive for a few seconds. After I've waited say 5 seconds, I open Gxine, select CD and away it goes playing the CD.
As I have 2 CD drives on my computer hdc and hdd, sometimes with other Distro's I have to adjust the defaults with say the App k3b to get it to play my CD or I get error messages.

It an interesting one.

elenara

#15 Post by elenara »

Hello john biles,

I like very much Puppy Linux and TEENpup in special. You did great job!!!

I'm not sad with your Puppy Derivative, you can believe. Problems with Operating Systems, hardware or bug softwares are "commons". Nothing is perfect...

Otherwise, I'm learning to use Linux but I need time for other tasks...

So, thanks for your informations and tips about playing CDs. On all versions of Puppy that I tested Gxine (versions? I don't remember) works very well but on TEENpup Gxine 0.5.8 doesn't works, like other Audio CD players.

Note: In my PC, Gxine works well playing Internet Radios, Videos, Wav and MP3 files.

In other Puppy versions no changes are required in Gxine to play Audio CD. And I'm not able to modify Gxine 0.5.8 File/Configure/Preferences... I searched in this Forum but topics that I found doesn't help me. In Gxine website I found documentation, but I don't understand many aspects about how Gxine works.

Today I plugged my daughter's iPod, with many documents and photos and it was recognized quickly by TEENpup. One more thing is OK!

Thanks again and have a nice day!

elenara

PS: English is not my native language, so please excuse any typos and grammatical errors.
Last edited by elenara on Tue 10 Apr 2007, 17:18, edited 1 time in total.

john biles

#16 Post by john biles »

Hello elenara,
Gxine 0.5.7 in TEENpup is the same as the version in Puppy 2.10
I haven't modified anything except the logo.
Under normal use I've had no problems with Gxine.
Gxine is easily upset if you try to open it when it is already opened and had been minimized and you've forgot that you already had it opened.
Sometimes I have to reboot TEENpup and Puppy to get Gxine to work again.

elenara

#17 Post by elenara »

Hello jonh biles

Sorry my mistake. Gxine version used by TEENpup 1.0.0 is 0.5.7, not 0.5.8 (last reply).

You wrote:
Sometimes I have to reboot TEENpup and Puppy to get Gxine to work again.
Yes, me too.

Thanks for your attention.

elenara