USB install, no CD, boots OK but can't find usr_cram.fs

#1 Post by roadkill »

Hi,

I got the latest ISO, used IsoBuster to extract files, put them on the
USB drive (Lexar Sport), used syslinux to make bootable, and added
PHOME=sda1 to the syslinux.cfg. The USB key boots up, and makes
it to where it says "loading usr_cram.fs from CD", doesn't find the CD,
gives some USB messages about devices not being claimed by drivers,
and then reports that the /usr file system cannot be mounted, etc...

Why is it looking for the usr_cram.fs on CD ? It almost seems as if
the USB drive is not visible after initial boot...

Help ?
Thanks in advance,
roadkill

raffy

USB install

#2 Post by raffy »

Welcome!

Could it be /dev/sda1 instead?

If you have a CD drive, you can use the Install to USB script (found by clicking the "Start" button and choosing "Setup").
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Re: USB install

#3 Post by Guest »

raffy wrote:Welcome!
raffy wrote:Could it be /dev/sda1 instead?
The PHOME=sda1 is an append option, and it successfully gets me past the part where puppy searches for hard drive location (I have an unsupported SATA controller, which I don't want to use anyway) and tells the kernel to use sda1 (it correctly expands it to /dev/sda1). If I don't use the PHOME option, puppy tells me it can't find the HD (no surprise), and tells me to either hit ENTER or type sda1 if I want to use my USB drive (which I do). Unfortunately, at this point my USB keyboard stops working and I can't type, so putting the PHOME option in the syslinux.cfg gets me past this point.

[quote="raffy]If you have a CD drive, you can use the Install to USB script (found by clicking the "Start" button and choosing "Setup").[/quote]

I don't have a puppy CD or a CD burner handy, which is why I am trying to do the install from the files extracted by IsoBurner.

I am hoping there is a way to tweak something and get past this problem... it almost seems as if USB devices are fine during the first part of boot, but stop working for some reason - /usr can't be loaded from the USB drive, and my USB keyboard stops working.