Install Puppy on IDE hard drive

Booting, installing, newbie
dancingdog777

Install Puppy on IDE hard drive

#1 Post by dancingdog777 »

A few weeks ago a gentleman on here suggested he talk me though installing Puppy onto my hard drive, if I gave him my phone number (by PM). Unfortunately, being 100% deaf, I was unable to follow up on his kind offer.

Is there a simple way of doing it? I'm using Puppy 2.15, my CPU is 2.6Ghz P4, with 1Gb RAM.

Thanks.

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

If you are new at this, it might be easiest to install Puppy in two phases. Phase 1 would copy the Puppy files to your hard drive but boot them off an external disk. Once you have that working, you can change the installation to boot directly off the drive. This may help:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=16950

headfound

#3 Post by headfound »

Firstly, do you want to install puppy on its own, or on the same disc as another os, such as windows?

just puppy install
boot the live cd with puppy pfix=ram (on the first boot screen! this ensures puppy doesn't mount any drives)
open gparted (start/system/gparted)
create an ext2 partition (about 2gigabytes will do for puppy)
create either an ext2/ext3 or fat32 (readable by most other os) partition on the rest of the drive - this is file space to use for anything
use the puppy universal installer (start/setup/puppy universal installer) to install puppy to the 2gig partition.
Follow the instructions to install the grub boot loader (automatic setting should be fine)
remove cd, reboot pc, puppy will boot from hard disk and configure away!

puppy and another os
if installing with windows, install windows first!
boot the live cd with puppy pfix=ram (on the first boot screen! this ensures puppy doesn't mount any drives)
open gparted (start/system/gparted)
resize the windows partition to an appropriate size (10 gigs or less)
create an ext2 partition (about 2gigabytes will do for puppy)
create another ext2 partition for any other linux os you want to install (about 2/3 gigs depending on distro size)
create a fat32 (readable by windows) partition on the rest of the drive - this is file space to use for anything
use the puppy universal installer (start/setup/puppy universal installer) to install puppy to the 2gig partition.
Follow the instructions to install the grub boot loader (automatic setting should be fine)
remove cd, reboot pc, puppy will boot from hard disk and configure away!
if wanted - (reboot with other linux os and install to empty ext2 partition, change the puppy boot/grub/menu.lst to add the extra boot info)

hope this helps! :D
Download a better Computer :)
[url=http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rDTLJYDHX3g]Puppy Linux Song[/url]
[url=http://www.letterbyletter.co.uk]www.letterbyletter.co.uk[/url]