How to: make desktop links to menu items, use 12-hour time?

Booting, installing, newbie
shr1k

How to: make desktop links to menu items, use 12-hour time?

#1 Post by shr1k »

Hi I am a fresh Pup about a week old. I am a windows user learning about Linux with Puppy. So far I am impressed with how nerdy I have become. I do have some questions about the file system and the clock.
I am using the graphic 2.15RC 2 Puppy.
I have a Gateway thats a few years old but was a nice box when I bought it.
Intel chip
512 ram
2.9 GHZ
CD burner
and a big hard drive.
Question-1
I would like to make some desktop short cuts to some menu items FireFox and the Puppy sound mixer but I cant find either program. if I use P-find I usually crash Puppy. I would like to know how to find a program listed in the menu. I can make a short cut and use or make an icon if I could find the program, its very frustrating.
Question-2
I would like the clock to use 12 hour time and show the date mm/dd/--yy I hve looked at a few treads about this but I cant get it to work.
Over all the transition has been smooth I got Blender, Gimp, Burned a CD, and got Firefox up and running fast. I don't think I will ever be printing with my HP PSC 1350 but I can drop a file right on my Windows desktop to print next time I boot XP.

bostonvaulter

#2 Post by bostonvaulter »

Hi and welcome to the kennels,

well I don't know why Pfind crashes your system. Since you are using 2.15 you have the IceWM window manager. So to view the entries in your menu open up geany (or text editor of your choice) and open up /root/.icewm/menu

Then search for the program you want and you should be able to find it.

To make a desktop shortcut, open rox. Then navigate to the directory of the program you want to add and drag it onto the desktop and voila you have a new desktop icon.

Change the time to 12-hour format in IceWM, open up /root/.icewm/preferences in geany and search for this line

# Clock Time format (strftime format string)
#TimeFormat="%H:%M"

and change it to

# Clock Time format (strftime format string)
TimeFormat="%I:%M"

You need to make sure there is no '#' in the front of the line, and that it has a %I instead of a %H. if you want full instruction check here http://www.icewm.org/FAQ/IceWM-FAQ-8.html#ss8.3
Personally mine is set up to display the date as well because i was tired of mousing over just to find the date.

I'm glad you're enjoying Puppy :D

Jason
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/BostonVaulter/avatar/puppybar.png[/img]

shr1k

#3 Post by shr1k »

Thanks
I got the clock working the way I like, I got the date and month displayed.
I looked at the icewm menu file like you sugested. I couldn't find the path to the programs I was looking for. After some studying of the menu file I realize that the last part of the line with no quotes is what you would enter into the console to start the program, some entres have a path some just a comand. I opened up Geany and started to experiment. I ended up with:

Code: Select all

#desktop shortcut for gimp
gimp
after some playing with the file propertes and saving it a few ways I found that in the file properties Exec should be checked, and the text file should be saved as a shell script. I droped it on my desktop and set the icon and it works great.
I have another question I admit I havent searched for an answer yet but I will ask. Can I set up ROX to show the path as a default. I mean what happens you- right click - windows -enter path. I find I do that when I am looking for some thing, for me seeing the path helps me remember where I am.
Thanks again :D I know I will have more qustions soon.

bostonvaulter

#4 Post by bostonvaulter »

It should show the path at the top of the window. Don't forget that ~/my-documents is the same as /root/my-documents.

glad you were able to get your shortcuts to work. I should have said that to find where the program is, you should do 'which gimp'

and it'll print out something like /usr/bin/gimp it might point to a symbolic link so you have to follow that too, or it might work by dragging the symbolic link

Jason
Last edited by bostonvaulter on Fri 06 Apr 2007, 21:29, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/BostonVaulter/avatar/puppybar.png[/img]

shr1k

#5 Post by shr1k »

Now I am trying to uninstall firefox I am using 1.5 deerpark I think I tried to install firefox2.0 but I still get deerpark when I use firefox. I got p-find working and have deleted all the firefox files I can find exept the icons. I cant get rid of deer park. How do I find the location of a file that executes when I type it in the console? so I can zap it. I would like to try swiftfox or get firefox2.0 working. BTW DeerPark works great for browsing, no crashes, but the themes and extentions dont work so good.
THANKS
EDIT-- I think I got it :D . I reread the post above and did the "which firefox" in the console I zaped the file it pointed to, now I finaly can't run firefox. I am going to try swiftfox and see if I can make it run some themes. I am using Puppy to learn about Linux and I dont have any files I need saved with Puppy so its realy fun to trash your OS to learn how it works and just reboot with the CD. I do want to figure out how to save my desktop icons and back ground and setings(I am playing with my menus) in a file made by me so if I have to dump my save file I can get my personal setup back.