How do I work with a .tar.Bz2 file - SOLVED

Using applications, configuring, problems
Scoticus

How do I work with a .tar.Bz2 file - SOLVED

#1 Post by Scoticus »

It has been suggested that I download a file in an attempt to resolve a problem I am having.

The file is a .tar.Bz2 file and I am at a loss as to what I do if I download it.

Can anyone offer guidance on this please

Ian
Last edited by Scoticus on Sat 07 Apr 2007, 06:06, edited 1 time in total.
[b]Puppy 4.0[/b]; AMD Athlon X2 4400 Processor; 2048MB DDR2 Memory; 320GB HD; nVidia 6100 Graphics; 16x Dual Layer DVD burner; Philips 190X5 monitor,Epson Stylus Photo R265 printer. Logitech LX 710 cordless keyb & mouse

MU

#2 Post by MU »

If xarchive cannot open it (did not try), you can do in a terminal:

cd /whereyoudownloaded
tar -xjvf thefile.tar.bz2

Or install XFE, and right-click -> extract here.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=16015
Mark

Pizzasgood

#3 Post by Pizzasgood »

In my experience in Puppy, you can just use tar -xf thefile.tar.bz2 and it will work with .tar, .tar.gz, .tgz, .tar.bz2, and .tbz. That may not always be the case in other distros, or if Barry changed the tar program. But it is for now :)

In case you're wondering, a .tar.bz2 file is actually a group of files in a .tar archive that was compressed with bzip2. So you could take it apart step by step, like this:
bunzip2 thefile.tar.bz2
tar -xf thefile.tar

A .tbz is the same as .tar.bz2, just as a .tgz is the same as a .tar.gz.

If you had a plain thisfile.bz2 file or thisfile.gz file, you'd do one of these, respectively:
bunzip2 thisfile.bz2
gunzip thisfile.gz

There's also an unzip command, for those pesky Windows people who insist on using .zip files. Also, dotpups are actually inside a zipfile, so unzip something.pup will let you at the contents, which usually consist of a script, an md5sum, and a dotpup.tar.gz file.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

muggins

#4 Post by muggins »

i thought i'd add that often, when you dload a file.tar.bz2, for some inexplicable reason, (something to do with servers not recognising the bz2 format?), it ends up as file.tar.tar. if this happens, just renaming it to file.tar.bz2 and then extract it as above.

Scoticus

How do I work with a .tar.Bz2 file

#5 Post by Scoticus »

Many thanks all.

That was a great assist. I appreciate your advice as the learning curve is looking more like a roller coaster at the moment. Every time I feel that I am getting there then down I go again.

Will add this to my idiots guide for future reference

Ian