How do I backup Puppy incase of a problem?

Booting, installing, newbie
jacatone

How do I backup Puppy incase of a problem?

#1 Post by jacatone »

On the Windows side, I use a program called RollbackRX in case I need to restore the entire OS quickly without a complete reinstall. Does Puppy have a similar backup feature? Thanks.

jonyo

#2 Post by jonyo »

What type setup u have? I use live cd 2.13 & 4 save file to hard drive & I think it's just a mater of copying that save file.

Noticed that I have a swap file on this 2.14 live cd setup as well as a vmlinuz file also. Dunno why the swap file showed up, or what the other ones about & if either of those 2 have to be saved also.

Billwho?
Trialing 4.20

#3 Post by Billwho? »

jonyo wrote:I use live cd 2.13 & 4 save file to hard drive & I think it's just a mater of copying that save file.
Usually that is all that I need to to do, but as I sometimes have more than one save file on my hard drive at once each with different configurations etc I also keep a separate copy of the "My documents" directory and my bookmarks.
jonyo wrote: Noticed that I have a swap file on this 2.14 live cd setup as well as a vmlinuz file also. Dunno why the swap file showed up, or what the other ones about & if either of those 2 have to be saved also.
I believe the swap file is created automatically at the same time as the save file when Puppy is first started. Vmlinuz must have been copied from the CD at some stage. While ever you are booting from the CD it does not need to be on the hard drive, it is one of the files that are copied to the hard drive in a "frugal (poor mans) install" though.
Linux = Learning through doing :shock: :? :D
The learning curve may be steep but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
You just have to pass the occasional oncoming train to get there.

jonyo

#4 Post by jonyo »

I think that's the case also. There's another thread on this but I can't find it where folks were surprised that a swap files was automatically made.

I've not tried any other setup than live cd pup save file to hard drive & its (was) my
understanding that this does not involve a swap file setup.

Then I discovered that more than one of my live cd setups had a swap file that seemed to automatically show up. I understand there are diff setups but don't recall having selected anything other than pup save file to HD.
Billwho? wrote:I believe the swap file is created automatically at the same time as the save file when Puppy is first started.