Puppy 2.15CE "Viz" - Patches and Updates

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
WhoDo

Puppy 2.15CE "Viz" - Patches and Updates

#1 Post by WhoDo »

Hi gang,

Here are a few useful patches and updates for VIZ.

1. Midnight Commander is installed in Puppy 2.15CE, but won't run because of a couple of missing library files. A patch is available below to install those libraries. Then you can start Midnight Commander from a console by typing "mc" (no inverted commas required).

2. Tronkel has updated his excellent Icewinconfig utility and a dotpup for that is also included below. I strongly recommend updating to the new version to avoid any possible glitches when using Icewinconfig.

3. Pizzasgood has updated his software removal tool for the new PETget manager, and that can be found here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=17035

4. Zigbert has also updated the wonderful Pfind utility in Puppy 2.15CE, and the updated version is available here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=15136

5. Joe Dopp (puppyfan12) has created a new, neater and prettier default home page for Seamonkey that points to the Puppy 2.15CE wiki entries. A dotpup update is also below.

Hope that helps to improve your Puppy 2.15CE experience.

Cheers
Attachments
homepagepatch.pup
Updated default home page for Seamonkey
(11.29 KiB) Downloaded 1325 times
icewinconfig.pup
IceWM configuration utility update
(86.7 KiB) Downloaded 1377 times
mcpatch.pup
Midnight Commander libary patch
(79.01 KiB) Downloaded 1378 times
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

WhoDo

#2 Post by WhoDo »

Here are four more patches made necessary by having stuff stripped out during the remaster process. Again relatively minor but important in their own right:

1. headfound's excellent Help files in the attached Puppy Help archive should be extracted to /root/puppy-reference/doc and allowed to overwrite files existing there. This provides an up-to-date help system accessed from the icon on the desktop.

2. an update for IcebergX theme in Icewm, to ensure that text is properly displayed in dialog boxes. Extract the archive to /root/.icewm/themes/icebergx and overwrite the existing desktop.theme file.

UPDATE 8 April: New version available. First patch did not fully resolve issue.

3. the Chooselocale script also suffered from the remaster process, losing the essential /root/tmp directory tree. Unpack the enclosed archive to /root and move the chooselocale script file to /usr/sbin, leaving the created /root/tmp directory intact.

UPDATE 9 April: New version available. Place new restartwm in /usr/X11R7/bin and chooselocale in /usr/sbin.

4. PETbegone will not run without certain configuration files and these were omitted from the release. Attached is a patch to replace those files. It should be unpacked to /root/.packages - check that a directory called unleashed exists after the unpacking.

After all the hard work it is a shame that my inattention to detail has caused these problems at the final hurdle.

Cheers
Attachments
215ce-unleashed.tar.gz
Patch to allow PETbegone to remove inbuilt packages
(179.31 KiB) Downloaded 2996 times
chooselocalepatch.tar.gz
Update: Includes new restartwm and chooselocale scripts.
(3.76 KiB) Downloaded 1350 times
puphelp.tar.gz
headfound's excellent html help system inadvertently stripped from Final remaster
(3.76 KiB) Downloaded 1364 times
icebergxupdate.tar.gz
Replacement default.theme file for /root/.icewm/themes/IcebergX theme - makes logout text visible
(1.24 KiB) Downloaded 5723 times
Last edited by WhoDo on Mon 09 Apr 2007, 06:32, edited 7 times in total.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

cb88

#3 Post by cb88 »

skip step one if you want to compare the changes in the old and newer version
1.delete /root/.icewm/themes/Vista_blue_cb88
2.download the following file extract to /root/.icewm/themes
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... ch&id=3578
This is how an icewm theme can be install from a zipped archive.
There are several improvement that have been made in this version.

WhoDo

#4 Post by WhoDo »

cb88 wrote:There are several improvement that have been made in this version.
Hmmm... it's getting there, cb88. I like the concave title bar on your windows. That's a nice touch. I'm not sure I like the electric blue border on only 3 sides, though. If you can't get it to work on the whole window, then it's probably best not to do it anywhere.

Can I also suggest that your X icon (windows) will look better if you do them in blue. At 16x16 they look unfinished in white. If you take say a 48x48 icon and scale it down to 16x16, make sure you use Lanczos3 compression and you'll get a more even, and much clearer, result.

Hope that helps.

Artie

#5 Post by Artie »

Don't think there's any shame in this edition whodo and publishing patches and updates is a positive thing not negative. There's another operating system always negatively mentioned in the news because they don't patch things... :-) It would be helpful if a link to this thread was placed in the wiki along with the other info on 2.15CE.

Artie

WhoDo

#6 Post by WhoDo »

Artie wrote:It would be helpful if a link to this thread was placed in the wiki along with the other info on 2.15CE.
Thanks, Artie. I have asked the wiki page maintainers to do what you have suggested.

Cheers

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#7 Post by Lobster »

Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

PhilCoo

chooselocale still crashes

#8 Post by PhilCoo »

Hi Whodo, tried a new disk with the chooselocalepatch added but not installed,,before I tried the patch the directory /root/tmp WAS already there,ran the patch as instructed and still crashes.I thought the file chooselocale had already been fixed but the file restartwm appears not to have been changed as per my post here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=17039

thanks for yours and everyones elses efforts

phil [/url]

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#9 Post by Béèm »

About the locale setting.

I downloaded the tar.gz file and followed the instruction.

I expected to find at least a nl_BE@EURO one, but it seems to have disappeared. I think it was there in 2.12

In fact, as I like to have my O.S. in English, I prefer a gb_BE@EURO or a us_BE@EURO.

Is there work done in that area?

And as always I have difficulties to set the time.
My timezone is set at gmt+1 (Brussels)
My clock (set date+time) is set at 00:15:00, which is correct, but the systray displays 09:15:00

I thought this problem was solved, but apparently not.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#10 Post by Béèm »

Béèm wrote:And as always I have difficulties to set the time.
My timezone is set at gmt+1 (Brussels)
My clock (set date+time) is set at 00:15:00, which is correct, but the systray displays 09:15:00

I thought this problem was solved, but apparently not.
Strange, I hadn't realized after applying this updates and doing something else, that my clock didn't advance.
Hovering with the mouse over the system tray did put live to the clock again and it sprang to the correct time.
So forget this part of the comment.

WhoDo

Re: chooselocale still crashes

#11 Post by WhoDo »

PhilCoo wrote:I thought the file chooselocale had already been fixed but the file restartwm appears not to have been changed as per my post here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=17039
Thanks, Phil. chooselocale update patch revised to reflect your solution for reboot problem. Great job, mate.

Cheers

PhilCoo

#12 Post by PhilCoo »

Hi Whodo, thanks for reply but I can not take credit for the fix.Found it on this forum, sorry but can not remember who posted it.Everything I use in Puppy (which is not a great deal) seems to be working nicely.

thanks for the updated file.

Phil :D

WhoDo

Updated alsaconf to fix inability to locate sound drivers

#13 Post by WhoDo »

Hi gang,

tempestuous has posted a replacement alsaconf to fix the problem of not locating any legacy sound drivers properly.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 400#110400
Attachments
alsaconf-original.pet
Working alsaconf file to detect legacy sound cards
(10.1 KiB) Downloaded 1370 times

WhoDo

Updated network connection wizard from rarsa

#14 Post by WhoDo »

Here is rarsa's updated network connection wizard, 2.15-1. It should resolve a number of issues with network detection.
Attachments
net-setup-2.15-1.pet
network detection wizard
(19.1 KiB) Downloaded 1222 times

jonyo

#15 Post by jonyo »

I's confused :oops:
Could someone sum up what's good to go (& install) here in one post.
I've just noticed this thread & have none of it installed.

Biggest prob I'm having right now is my mouse pointer randomly disappears :(
usually once ina blue moon. Only way I know to get it back is wida reboot. Suggestions?

Added so far firefox, opera & MU auto loader. Is it possible to make the firewall auto load on boot?

Have the final ver & md5 checked but is there a check that can be made in pup as to what ver is being used?

WhoDo

#16 Post by WhoDo »

jonyo wrote:I's confused :oops:
Could someone sum up what's good to go (& install) here in one post.
It's all "good to go" IF you need it. If you don't use Midnight Commander, don't install the patch. Simple.

Hope that helps.

kirk22

#17 Post by kirk22 »

WhoDo wrote: 4. PETbegone will not run without certain configuration files and these were omitted from the release. Attached is a patch to replace those files. It should be unpacked to /root/.packages - check that a directory called unleashed exists after the unpacking.
I tried to use this file and petbegone to strip out a lot of packages and came up with a bunch of errors. Some packages were removed but some came up with an error such as "/root/.packages/unleashed/alsa-lib-1.0.12rc1.files does not exist.

This happened with a few games, some wireless apps, etc.

WhoDo

#18 Post by WhoDo »

kirk22 wrote:Some packages were removed but some came up with an error such as "/root/.packages/unleashed/alsa-lib-1.0.12rc1.files does not exist.
That will happen for any programs that were not directly installed through Unleashed - if the program was added as a patch or update, for example.

WhoDo

Open Office Boot Splash for Puppy

#19 Post by WhoDo »

Just playing around and thought I'd create a Puppy-specific bootsplash for Open Office ... just to add to the "complete" look-and-feel of Puppy.

Enjoy!
Attachments
OOo-splash.png
Add to /usr/local/apps/OpenOffice/program as intro.bmp
(116.53 KiB) Downloaded 1333 times

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#20 Post by Flash »

Looks really good, WhoDo. :)