poor system for european people...

Booting, installing, newbie

poor system for european people...

#1 Post by guest »

hi

i did try to register. it wasn't possible because becausealt i didn't find the sign "at" to entry the email-adresse... i did try all keys. also with ALT GR. nothing to do... (i am not expert in such matters because new linux distributions make never restrictions for install the different keyboard. i can use portuguese, swiss german, swiss french but i can't find such keyboard in the given choice of layout. i use now the spanish keyboard. but it is very extremly bad solution for me. this give me only the possibility to write my mother tongue approximately like I am accoutumated. but I can't write german correctly any more! i can only use ae, oe, ue, Ae, Oe, Ue and it is a really bad environment for seriously working!)

the restricted usage of international keyboards layouts available in all the old linux distributions since 1995 and older is pure nonsens...

and it is the ONLY ONE bad point that I did find in this really great distribution. really sorry: i would be really happy to use it...

please help us, the european, brasilian people to find an acceptable environment.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

There have been many posts about this, and solutions were found.

Puppy has two different keyboard layout systems. If you go to the keyboard Wizard, try the "Old two letter layout" method, see if one of those suits you.

PeterSieg

Yes. German keys don't work :(

#3 Post by PeterSieg »

Hi. I have the same problem. The german 'umlauts' don't work.
The @ can be reached by pressing the '
Have fun :)

oui

the German keyboard layout don't works properly

#4 Post by oui »

BarryK wrote:There have been many posts about this, and solutions were found.

Puppy has two different keyboard layout systems. If you go to the keyboard Wizard, try the "Old two letter layout" method, see if one of those suits you.
I Barry

thank you for your extremly fast answer. i have different pc's and did verify your affirmation.

the keyboard works properly AFTER A complete NEW START of the PC (the message on the screen says something different: "NOW". It would be very better for people using different languages and having to commute the keyboard without to close her work because working in 2 different languages)

with ONE EXCEPTION:

the german keyboard does definitively NOT work properly: It is not able to write the accents on the vowels, like all the other keyboard designs of puppy, that i did try, do good (portuguese, spanish etc.). it will be a great difficulty especially in the countries of europe where both german and french are used (swiss, belgium etc.). perhaps you can look if you have a better release?

PeterSieg

de keymaps

#5 Post by PeterSieg »

Hi, what I hace/know so far...

I think the loadkeys for console mode are a different animal than the one used by X11!?

I downloaded some kbd maps from slackware (de-latin1*.map.gz) and tried
with them - no luck.. but that is due to the fact that X11 uses something different..

I googled..
You can assign keys in X11 with xmodmap.
Syntax: xmodmap -e "keycode 34 = udiaeresis Udiaeresis"
(Thats should be the german
Have fun :)