Puppy 2.15CE - Icewm Themes

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
bostonvaulter

#41 Post by bostonvaulter »

KJ,

I believe the height of the taskbar is determined by the height of the start button. So you just have to change that to get it to change.

Jason
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/BostonVaulter/avatar/puppybar.png[/img]

WhoDo

Re: icewm themes

#42 Post by WhoDo »

KJ wrote:How do I reduce the taskbar height back to the smaller size.
First use Menu>Desktop>Icewm Configuration Utility to ensure that taskbar double height is off. Then use a graphics program to change the height of the start button. The button lives in /root/.icewm/themes/{themename}/taskbar and it is 32px by default. 24px would be more like the normal height taskbar.

Hope that helps.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

KJ

#43 Post by KJ »

Thanks to WhoDo and Bostonvaulter for quick responses. WhoDo ... I followed your directions with no sucess. Using mtPaint I changed to size of the active start menu .xpm in Velvet-Azul (icewm.xpm) to 12 X 24 (saved the file and restarted icewm) and the taskbar start button got shorter in length but no change in height. I then doubled the normal size of the .xpm and again the length changed but not the height. I also tried the same process with the icewm.xpm in .icewm/taskbar with no sucess. I then changed line 230 of the .icewm preferences file to '0' and removed the start menu button from the taskbar ..... no start button .... but no change to the taskbar height.

A month or so ago, I ran a dotpup icewm 2.8 to 3.0 upgrade on a Puppy 213 system and the taskbar didn't change height.

KJ

KJ

Taskbar height

#44 Post by KJ »

Found the answer to my taskbar height problem while reading the icewm-ultra topic pages. It was in the root/.icewm/prefoveride file. Renamed the prefoveride file (will play with it later) and the icewm taskbar in now the same height that it is in other Puppy versions. Didn't notice that file had been added before today. One more step in the learning curve. Thanks folks.

richard.a

Re: Taskbar height

#45 Post by richard.a »

KJ wrote:It was in the root/.icewm/prefoveride file ... Didn't notice that file had been added before today. One more step in the learning curve. Thanks folks.
That is where you can change the text style (bold, italic, italic and bold etc) for a range of variables common to all themes. Useful for poor contrast foreground/background colours like several of the taskbar variants. Didn't realise that the icon was configured there, nor the taskbar height though. Learn something new every day, lol :) :D

Personally I like the larger default height in JWM and KDE on high resolution desktops - and the latter is very easily adjusted in the Control Panel. The taskbar isn't fdjustable on MS Windows either. Perhaps larger height equates to those who need specs? I find icewm height is far too small for my eyesight. Perhaps that's why I have difficulty with the lack of contrast between foreground/background on the new themes.

Richard.
[i]Have you noticed editing is always needed for the inevitable typos that weren't there when you hit the "post" button?[/i]

[img]http://micro-hard.dreamhosters.com/416434.png[/img]