Puppy distro with root user

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
gaiterin

Puppy distro with root user

#1 Post by gaiterin »

Hello.
I tried Puppy and I lovin' it.
I liked specially his fast, pretty that is, and the simple thing to install programs.

But I do not want that the user by defect is root.

Exist some alternative that has the previous thing, but contemplates to the user root?
Thanks.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

gaiterin

Any more?

#3 Post by gaiterin »

The link to topic is only for run a one program as user. I like administre users.

I will try the Grafpup, but I prefer a distro not orientated to graphics.

Exist other normal distro?

Thanks very much by the answer!

gaiterin

A question about Grafpup

#4 Post by gaiterin »

All users enter in the system as root?
Or all users enter in the system as his user, and exist a root count for administration?
Thanks!

Pizzasgood

#5 Post by Pizzasgood »

I think you have to be root on the first boot to set it up. After it's installed, you can add more users, and it will make them log in. I'm not certain though, just going from memory.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Nathan F

#6 Post by Nathan F »

A couple things about how Grafpup is currently set up. In the most recent alpha snapshot, you can log in as root or as "grafpup" right from the very first boot. You can also add any other users you want.

If you want a more "conventional" desktop, I have begun releasing a really stripped down version without most of the graphics applications or a large browser. You can run that and just install everything else from packages, or use it as a base for custom remasters. I think a few people are already using remastered versions, but they probably haven't shared them around right now.

A lot of the things I have done to make Grafpup work well for non-root users would port right over to Puppy, given the patience to track down all the changes. I've been a little lax about documenting it though.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

setecio

#7 Post by setecio »