Syba USB2 PCMCIA or Adaptec AUA-1422 troubles

Booting, installing, newbie
theroar84

Syba USB2 PCMCIA or Adaptec AUA-1422 troubles

#1 Post by theroar84 »

Morning all.

I have been wrestling with these two cards for the past two weeks. I have searched your forums and google and really have not found anything to help me. Hence... this post. =)

A month ago I had a laptop with no hard drive, did a google search, and found DSL. Fired it up and was amazed that I could run a OS w/o a hard drive. Never had played with linux before that day. Saved to a mem stick and all. It was glorious... Just no wi fi... A little birdie (fellow geek where I work) told me I was using the wrong linux distro... and should try puppy. =)

Puppy rox! Amazed at the speed and the wireless setup wizard is a gem. I had my RT2500 card up and running in minutes. Had a ball in FL this week jumping from hot spot to hot spot surfing away. The only catch is that the USB2 cards that both function out of the box in DSL... Are not working in puppy.

I have no real knowledge or bash commands or mod probing etc, but have tried to see the cards using lspci. I think is DSL that showed me the various cards and their chipsets, but in puppy it is just numbers and such... I just found the pupScan interface and here is the data about the nec chipset as I have the syba card in at the moment.

pci bus 0x0006 cardnum 0x00 function 0x00: vendor 0x1033 device 0x0035
NEC Corporation USB

pci bus 0x0006 cardnum 0x00 function 0x01: vendor 0x1033 device 0x0035
NEC Corporation USB

pci bus 0x0006 cardnum 0x00 function 0x02: vendor 0x1033 device 0x00e0
NEC Corporation USB 2.0

TIA for the help

Mike

theroar84

any one gnome?

#2 Post by theroar84 »

Tinkered some more and tried to get the RT2500 to work with DSL... no luck. Read something that you can use NDISwrapper with drivers other than network cards so I may give that a go.

I also downloaded ubuntu 6.10 and it enables both the network card and the USB, so maybe I will just stick with it. It sure feels bulky compared to puppy and DSL though.

I will keep looking here in case someone has a tip for Puppy...

theroar84

I win!!!!!

#3 Post by theroar84 »

Here we go. Wish I could say I understood the stuff I do, but it is really just trial and error. This one seems to be a success though!

With the AUA-1422 I booted with it in. downloaded and unzipped the XP driver from Adaptec.

I then opened the network wizard. I chose ndiswrapper and navigated to the folder where I put the .inf and everything else that had unzipped. Clicked ok and it loaded and gave the success, but it may not do anything message.

At that point I plugged a flashdrive into the USB port and for the first time in Puppy it lit up!!!!

Clicked drive mounter and it was not there though. =( Just had a thought about some ehci, ohci etc modules I read about in someones post though.

I navigated to the /lib/modules/2.6 folder and then found the usb stuff in the initrd folder. It was just by searching, so if there is a better way, feel free to share...

I used the same trial and error to insmod (install module) noting that I did not have to do 2 of them... I figured there would be overkill.

sh-3.00# insmod /lib/modules/2.6/initrd/usb/usbcore.ko
insmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/2.6/initrd/usb/usbcore.ko': -1 File exists sh-3.00# insmod /lib/modules/2.6/initrd/usb/ehci-hcd.ko
sh-3.00# insmod /lib/modules/2.6/initrd/usb/ohci-hcd.ko
sh-3.00# insmod /lib/modules/2.6/initrd/usb/usb-storage.ko
insmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/2.6/initrd/usb/usb-storage.ko': -1 File exists sh-3.00#

Afterward I used the USBviewer and found I had won! I opened puppymounder and now have the USB2 pcmcia card working like a champ.

Happy trails!!!

theroar84

Syba too

#4 Post by theroar84 »

I just finished the second laptop I have with the same system. This of course was with the syba usb2, but it worked like a dream. This is so sweet! 8)