Is 200 MHz fast enough for an internet terminal?

Booting, installing, newbie
Twill

Is 200 MHz fast enough for an internet terminal?

#1 Post by Twill »

Hey folks,

I'm trying to set up a puppy install which will run only a CSS capable browser.

I was reading the min specs are 200mhz but would that be enough to run only puppy or firefox or otherwise as well? It will also need to be able to print from the web browser and obviously access the internet (ehternet or wireless).

Thanks for your time, any suggestions on streamlining puppy for just this purpose to get as much speed out of the thing as possible would be greatly appreciated.

Have a great day
Twill

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

If that's all you want, 200 MHz should be fine.

Bruce B

#3 Post by Bruce B »

The problem you will run into is not so much data transfer speed, as that doesn't require much very much CPU to accomplish.

The bottleneck will be in rendering the transfered data in a GUI browser. Use a fast browser as the best compromise if it the big browsers seem too slow for your liking.

Streamlining Puppy won't help much I don't think. However, you didn't say how much RAM you have. If you don't have sufficent RAM and are running Puppy on a swap file or partition, then maybe some changes are in order.

#4 Post by Guest »

What would the fastest browser be for a very low graphics website? (firefox or otherwise?)

I dont know how much ram, I was looking at about 64mb-128mb

Thanks guys

Bruce B

#5 Post by Bruce B »

For speed and over all use I prefer Links

Dillo gets more notice and discussion in this forum, so I guess it is more popular, maybe?

Either are fast graphic browsers.

raffy

Opera

#6 Post by raffy »

I tend to agree with a recent post that Opera can be very speedy. Version 5.12 installation, I remember, fits a floppy.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Twill

#7 Post by Twill »

Thanks for all the help so far folks.

Just another quick question...If running a comp with no HDD, will I run into problems or will all the essentials load into memory and just not save personal settings?

Thanks again

Twill

acklan

#8 Post by acklan »

One problem you may run into is the HX and the TX chipset is limited to 64 meg of RAM. I had this problem on an HP machine. I could be wrong but I do believe there is a 64meg bottle neck. The LX, BX and later 810 chipset should be fine, although they stopped making the 200mhz chip by the time the BX chipset was introducted I'm pretty sure.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#9 Post by Lobster »

Twill wrote:Thanks for all the help so far folks.

Just another quick question...If running a comp with no HDD, will I run into problems or will all the essentials load into memory and just not save personal settings?

Thanks again

Twill
You can run Puppy from CD, CD/RW or flash ram devices.
The easiest and most convenient is CD
With no HD you could save to flash or just lose your settings each time you boot . . .
You could of course use the developing Unleashed and Open Sourcer to create your own customised (including settings)

http://www.goosee.com/puppy/development ... cratch.htm

Go Puppy GO! Woosh . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D