Using a router as a splitter? How to.

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of networking hardware.
Canadianpride

Using a router as a splitter? How to.

#1 Post by Canadianpride »

Hi.....
I have an ethernet cord running down to my room from my dad's d-link router upstairs. Now I have several computers that I would love to be able to hook up at the same time to the internet. I have a 5 port G-net router down here. I took the ethernet cord connected to the d-link router and plugged it into the Uplink port. I then procceded to plug in the other computers. I quickly realized that only the computer that is plugged in closest to the uplink is being given an isp from my D-links DCHP. So only one computer can get online at a time. Sorry if that's kind of hard to understand. does anyone have any ideas on how I could get all of my computers to get a connection. Thanks!!

Matthew.

bobn9lvu

Re: Using a router as a splitter? How to.

#2 Post by bobn9lvu »

Canadianpride wrote:Hi.....
I have an ethernet cord running down to my room from my dad's d-link router upstairs. Now I have several computers that I would love to be able to hook up at the same time to the internet. I have a 5 port G-net router down here. I took the ethernet cord connected to the d-link router and plugged it into the Uplink port. I then procceded to plug in the other computers. I quickly realized that only the computer that is plugged in closest to the uplink is being given an isp from my D-links DCHP. So only one computer can get online at a time. Sorry if that's kind of hard to understand. does anyone have any ideas on how I could get all of my computers to get a connection. Thanks!!

Matthew.
You need to turn on dhcp for wan side of your G-net router.
Have NAT turned on, and pick a different subnet than is on your dad's dlink for your lan side of the G-net.
Use dhcp on all the computers you are running on the lan side of your G-net..
That way you all can share the single net connection., AND, you will then have a more secure subnet,
as there are 2 NAT levels for a hacker to get through... :wink:

Bob

setecio

#3 Post by setecio »

Yes, you want to turn your G-net router into a switch by :

a) Turn off dchp on the G-net router and
b) then plug the ethernet (coming from the d-link) into one of the LAN ports instead of the WAN port, and use the remaining lan ports for the other computers.

Sage

#4 Post by Sage »

Hub?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

Proof that there's always more than one way to skin a cat. :lol:
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]