some questions for a VM based puppy

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
zer

some questions for a VM based puppy

#1 Post by zer »

I have used Puppy for a while and have been working on a (VMware) virtual machine based Puppy called VirtuePup and wanted to ask some questions about it.

1. How big should the virtual hard drive be? I've been using a 2gb one with 512 swap, but i think it might be good to slim it down a bit for the final release.

2. Can i get hosting for it? I have a website i can use, but it has barely any bandwidth so a mirror would be nice.
EDIT: i got a mirror now so i should be fine
3. Anything to look out for when building a Puppy?

4. Is it legal to make a CD that has the VM image and a copy of VMware Player?

Thanks, a beta should be out in a day or two.
Last edited by zer on Sun 04 Mar 2007, 15:56, edited 1 time in total.

Gekko

#2 Post by Gekko »

1) Not sure, just allow us to make a hdd for it?

3) Does it include VMWare tools? If it does, make THAT into a pup or pet, and I'll love you.

4)Making an image isnt illegal, it is entirely legal. But distributing VMWare Player is, as you have to agree to their online licence agreement so just link to it.

zer

#3 Post by zer »

Thanks, I am almost done with it.
I think for hard drives i will do two downloads: one with the hard drive file and one with the pup_save.2fs file so people can get empty hdd files from EasyVMX and put the pup_save file in.
For some reason, IceWM and XFCE seem to hate it right now so i will go with FWM until i get Ice working.
I nearly forgot about VM tools, thanks for reminding me.

zer

#4 Post by zer »

VMware Tools seems to hate Puppy for some reason so until i find the problem, VirtuePup wont have VM Tools. Though Puppy runs so fast in a VM, it might not even have a effect.

If anyone else has ran VMware Tools in Puppy, tell me how to get it to work.

ted142

#5 Post by ted142 »

With the nearly vanilla 2.6.18.x kernels, I was wondering if anybody more experienced than myself would consider using a xen kernel built to Barry's specs. I thought that perhaps the way squash and such act like loopbacks that this would interfere with the way xen seems to execute virtual machines--but if vm(ware)puppy is possible...maybe xen-puppy is possible. I have 3 debian sarges and a ttylinux running in loopbacks (all commandline) and scowered the forum for "xen" to little avail. This is the closest thread I've found.

This vmware idea is still cool, however. I am definitely glad to see virtualization finding it's way into smaller distros. I will brush up on vmware offerings as compared to xen and maybe have some sort of go.

Aitch

#6 Post by Aitch »

Zer
I found this
http://uk.builder.com/whitepapers/0,390 ... 83q,00.htm

earlier, and have posted an enquiry with Barry in developer forums
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=17164
about vm & puppy2.15ce
unless you, or someone else, knows?

Ted,
I too looked at xen, but couldn't find enough info
maybe more posts?
I'll stick one up

DennisF

#7 Post by DennisF »

Aitch

#8 Post by Aitch »

Thanks Dennis, I'll give it a try, but I heard there's one that runs on a memstick
That sounds more like what I'm after, although I am impressed with the MRTG

DennisF

#9 Post by DennisF »

QEMU-Puppy is an OS and a set of applications meant for a USB flash drive. This OS can be booted natively or on top of another, already installed, OS (currently Windows and Linux). Just borrow a PC, boot your own environment, and return the PC unaffected.

(file by Erik Veenstra)

http://www.puppylinux.org/user/download ... nload_id=2