Puppy on PPC

Booting, installing, newbie
andy gee

Puppy on PPC

#1 Post by andy gee »

I love Puppy! It makes such a simple and good distro, and is one of my favourites, along with Xubuntu and Zenwalk.

I run a charity in Sydney called LibrePC. PCs are donated to me, and I install Xubuntu and give them to disadvantaged children and seniors, giving people access to technology they otherwise wouldn't have and helping the environment at the same time (since these computers are being recycled when they'd otherwise be thrown away).

The Ubuntus are reliable and easy for a complete beginner to use. However, until now I have been limited to machines with 128 MB RAM and 400MHz CPU speed and up - any older than that and even Xfce runs slowly, and I didn't want to try to develop an icewm version of Ubuntu since I am still pretty n00b and I wanted a very simple install.

Now that I have discovered Puppy, I have exactly what I'm after! Easy to use and easy to install, and increases the range of machines I can give away. However, I have been given an old Apple Imac(Rev B or C). I think it's about 266 MHz and 64 MB RAM. I think it would run under Puppy if I could get a PPC based version.

Does anyone have a simple way to get a PPC puppy? Is there a kernel I can use? I would appreciate any help I can get since this machine is taking up room in my bedroom that I don't have spare, but I don't want to throw it away.

Any help greatly appreciated. And if you live in Australia (pref. Sydney) and would like to help out with the charity, email me at librepc@gmail.com.