How to mount, edit & back up the pup001 file

Using applications, configuring, problems
peppyy

How to mount, edit & back up the pup001 file

#1 Post by peppyy »

I added the lines I needed to get my linksys card working and now have no boot. It stops after 6 errors the last of which is

Code: Select all

/etc/rc.d/rc.local: /sbin/dhcpd : no such file or directory
Is there a way to boot past this error so I can fix it? The strangest part is I can't find the files on the hard drive when I boot to cd. I am on my only spare at the moment since even my big machine has thrown a fit and decided to not light the moniyor up but that is another problem all together.
Last edited by peppyy on Wed 24 Aug 2005, 22:53, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Linux...
It just works!

peppyy

#2 Post by peppyy »

A couple more hours and I am going to wipe the hard drive. I can't find a single file that I have created. modified or downloaded since I installed puppy to the hard drive over a month ago. Are they all in the pup1 file or something?

I have no problem finding all the files from libranet 2.8.1 which I tried to install first but never worked right. Tip to those who have a lot of confidence in editing config files by hand.

"Copy and paste"

Down 2 computers in the same day, alltime record for me lol.
Puppy Linux...
It just works!

keenerd

#3 Post by keenerd »

Wait up, you haven't rally told us enough about the problem. Dhcpcd should be there regardless. What were the exact lines you put in? And I know its bad form, but I never use the absolute paths. One less thing for me to mistype.

peppyy

#4 Post by peppyy »

Here is the boot error as close as it can be typed.

Using /lib/modules/2.4.27/net/ndiswrapper.o.gz 
ndiswrapper version 0.11 loaded(preenpt=no,smp=no)
Error for wireless request "set mode" (8B06) :
    SET failed on device wlan0 ; No such device.
Error for wireless request "set ESSID" (8B1A) :
Error for wireless request "Set Frequency" (8B04) :
Error for wireless request "Set Sensitivity" (8B08) :
Error for wireless request "Set Bit Rate" (8B20) :
Error for wireless request "Set Encode" (8B2A) :
/etc/rc.d/rc.local: /sbin/dhcpd: No such file or directory
Plus the line from the first post.

I know I set the essid and channel following the directions in the wifi dot pup and I had the wpc11 v4 working until I rebooted. I had added 2 lines to rc.local and all I want to do is find them and remove them again to see if it will boot.

I did the old type hd install and used the grub bootloader from libranet. it reports that puppy is on hd0,0 so that would be hda1.

I can mount hda1 but the /etc file is not the one I am looking for.

There are 2 partitions on the drive. 1 is reiserfs which contains whhat looks to be both operating systems and one is ext3 which contains the home directory and user files for libranet.

I was just going to ask a bunch of questions bit I will wait rather than cloud the issue.
Puppy Linux...
It just works!

peppyy

#5 Post by peppyy »

Sorry but I gotta bump this. Anybody have any ideas how to find the etc file that contains the files I need to un-edit? It is not the one in the screenshot. That one has all the stuff from libranet. Maybe if I start deleting each file that does not belong to puppy I will find it eventually.

"Oh where oh where has my little dog gone?"
Attachments
mut-hda1-screen.jpg
(66.84 KiB) Downloaded 867 times
Puppy Linux...
It just works!

danleff

#6 Post by danleff »

So, you did a type 1 installation on the same partition as Libranet? Or did you just copy the cd files onto the partition?

Can you get into Libranet and post what is in the /boot/grub/menu.lst file? Looks like maybe the grub syntax is also off so that it is using the root for Libranet? Looking at the menu.lst file may help. No PFILE=pup1... in grub?

I bet you made a syntax error in the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file, so this is why Puppy will not boot.
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith

peppyy

#7 Post by peppyy »

/mnt/home/grub/menu.1st is the file I modified to get puppy to boot.

title  Puppy Linux
        rootnoverify (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PFILE=pup1-none-524288 PHOME=hda1
        initrd /image.gz

title		Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.26 Default 
root		(hd0,1)
kernel		/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 ro acpi=on 
savedefault
boot
There are several other entrys but they are old.
I can ,(last I knew) boot to libranet but I haven't tried. LN2.8.1 has problems with a missing adminmenu due to an apt problem. I have instead used the live cd, 1.0.4 to get here. It autodetects my orinoco as eth0 so no problem there.

Yes, I did drag and drop the files from the cd to /hda1. It boots right through and everything is fine, even loads the orinoco card if it is in the slot.
Puppy Linux...
It just works!

peppyy

#8 Post by peppyy »

Is there a way to open the pup1 file so it can be edited? I have come to the conclusion that everything is hiding in there.
Renamed it to pup2 and it created a new pup1 file with none of my apps or files in it. May as well run it off the cd. At least that keeps track of my preferences.

I guess I will have to recreate all the files that I can't get to anymore. :( I am going to have to learn to backup to another partition just in case from now on.
Puppy Linux...
It just works!

danleff

#9 Post by danleff »

Hopefully this will bump the post more.

Grub looks fine.

There should be a way to mount pup1 as a loop device?

Maybe GuestToo or Bladhunter have an idea?
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith

peppyy

#10 Post by peppyy »

Maybe I should post this in the nubie forum so it gets noticed? What is this about a loop device? I was thinking that it might be a gzip file or some other kind of compressed file. I will keeb looking for answers a while longer.
Puppy Linux...
It just works!

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#11 Post by Flash »

Moving it to another forum will not help. Anyone who can help you will see it here. Sorry, that doesn't include me. :)

peppyy

#12 Post by peppyy »

Final Plea.

If I cant access the file to repair it then I am guessing at this point it is going to be faster to start over and rebuild what I can, Too bad about the doccuments and my web site that never got published.

If anyone has any idea how to either boot past the error, (startx and xwin run in circles) or mount the pup001 file from puppy1.0.4 on cd so I can remove 2 little lines, Bark now please.

Thanks.
Puppy Linux...
It just works!

Peppy not logged in

#13 Post by Peppy not logged in »

Is there a file extension or something that I can name the file so I can mount it? I have been trying a bunch of distros on live cd hoping to see something but no luck today either. Konqueror in slax had an option I thought might work but it locked up.

What type of file is the pup001 file anyway?

Is this where the missing /etc/rc.d whatever is even hiding?

I gotta get to bed before I pop my brain.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#14 Post by Flash »

Have you read through Barry's How Puppy Works page?

Bruce B

#15 Post by Bruce B »

It is very easy to mount your pup1 file for editing the problem

Can you boot to Debian?

If not boot with Puppy CD and use the # 3 option to NOT make a pupfile

After booting at the command line:

# mkdir /mnt/hda1

# mkdir /mnt/pup1

# mount -t ????* /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1

# mount -t ext2 -o loop /mnt/hda1/pup1 /mnt/pup1

# cd /mnt/pup1/.etc

OR probably you want a different directory for rc.local

# cd /mnt/pup1/.etc/rc.d

Now you are in the directory you want open your editor for rc.local and go to work.

Wnen done ...

# cd
# umount /mnt/pup1
# umount /mnt/hda1

????* means I don't know the -t info on hda1
vfat, ext2, ext3, reiserfs ???

It seems it is reiserfs according to what you posted.

peppyy

#16 Post by peppyy »

Thank you many times over!
I booted to a cd and opened a terminal. Created the mount point. Browsed to the directory, edited the file, saved and rebooted.

Back to my wolfie desktop and all my files and all my bookmarks and..

Thank you again! I
Puppy Linux...
It just works!

Bruce B

#17 Post by Bruce B »

peppyy wrote:Is there a way to open the pup1 file so it can be edited? I have come to the conclusion that everything is hiding in there.
Renamed it to pup2 and it created a new pup1 file with none of my apps or files in it. May as well run it off the cd. At least that keeps track of my preferences.

I guess I will have to recreate all the files that I can't get to anymore. :( I am going to have to learn to backup to another partition just in case from now on.
I'm glad it worked for you. Thanks for the thanks.

Yes everything is 'hiding' in pup1 as you postulated. As for back-up it's fairly simple also. The only think you need to backup is pup1.

I do it by cp pup1 pup1.bak I do it from the command line after leaving X, because I think maybe in X there is more possibility of pup1 changing during the copy process.

Due to the size of your pup1 it will take some time to do the backup. Of course you will need to have the necessary disk space to do it. You can make the pup1 backup to whatever partition / directory you please.

To locate pup1 say cd /mnt/home, followed by an ls

-------------------

To restore the backup say:

mv pup1 pup1.bad
mv pup1.bak pup1

But I really think it would be best to do this with a boot cd-rom or another OS, and not with pup1 active.