Puppy on HD: puzzling lack of space

Booting, installing, newbie
richiew

Puppy on HD: puzzling lack of space

#1 Post by richiew »

In reviving an old PC I have been experimenting with all different ways of booting Puppy.

I have finished up going for running Puppy from a partition on my hard drive, with a second partition as a swap partition.

Everything seems to be running great, apart from the fact that I am running out of space on the main partition. The partition is 2GB, which is confirmed by MUT. Yet, I cannot anywhere near that much stuff on there before I get errors stating that the disk is full.

I did think that I might actually be acessing a pupxxx file, which was mounted at boot. However, I can't seem to resize this or access it.

What is going on here? I would be grateful for some help.

Thanks.

Bruce B

#2 Post by Bruce B »

Let us see what you got.

From dos do this command:

dir /v xyz>dosrpt$.txt

From linux do these commands:

df >linrpt$.txt

free>linmem$.txt

Open these three files with your text editor and post the output.

Maybe I can have a good clue for you.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

start (menu) utilities and resize root file system is not your problem?
It is definely the HD which is filling up?

Just mentioning this because I sometimes forget to resize - and make sure you WAIT if resizing before rebooting . . . and close other progs first

:)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

richiew

#4 Post by richiew »

Thanks for the replies.

Is it definitely the HD? - Not sure. I tried the resize as you suggest and it said that nothing was mounted on /root so it wasn't going to do anything.

I will run the lines as suggested by Bruce B and post them later today.

Thanks again.

raffy

How about pressing 2 or 3

#5 Post by raffy »

In version 1.03, press 2 and in version 1.04, press 3, to skip pup001 creation, then press ENTER afterwards so no partition is selected. This will avoid creation of pup001 in any partition.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

richiew

#6 Post by richiew »

Here is some of my output.

First a screen print from MUT to show you what I've got.
Second a confirmation of what happens when I try to reseize.
(I've just realised that I don't know how to put the images in the text, sorry)

Then here is the linrpt$.txt
Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs 491819 363879 102540 78% /
/dev/hda1 491819 363879 102540 78% /

And here is linmem$.txt
total used free shared buffers
Mem: 62140 30896 31244 0 1296
Swap: 1128952 0 1128952
Total: 1191092 30896 1160196

I tried the DOS one, but it failed. The dir command gave lots of files with unreadable names. THe command line suggested gave an errors regarding a bad file allocation table. However, this might be because of the partition type?

Hope this sheds some light.

Thanks.
Attachments
MUT.jpg
(28.1 KiB) Downloaded 768 times
Pfile.jpg
(18.24 KiB) Downloaded 792 times

Bruce B

#7 Post by Bruce B »

richiew, that is good.

Please edit this list as needed for accuracy as you understand your computer.

* You have a little less that 500 mb free space on hda1

* You have 64 mb RAM

* You have an option 2 install

* You are booting with GRUB on the mbr

* You have inserted a command swapon /dev/hda2 in some configuration like the rc.local

* Mutt says swap is off but it is mis-reporting ?

-----------------

Since you are not out of disk space, maybe you should run fsck on /dev/hda1

If you can boot from the Pupply CD and choose not to make a pup001 file, I think you could make an fsck and badblock test on the unmounted hda1

Bruce B

#8 Post by Bruce B »

More thoughts:

I don't know what is generating the error message.

If one of the lines says "YOU NEED TO DELETE ONE OR MORE FILES OR REBOOT", check for the existence of a file in /tmp called find.out

If it exists make a copy to somewhere like /root, reboot to get the 'puter working right and post the content of that file.

raffy

Check HD and no resize

#9 Post by raffy »

Once you run the HD-installed Puppy, there is NO NEED to resize pup001 - it is no longer used. Naturally, Puppy gives you an error message when you try to resize it. :)

Your hda1 size (from console and from MUT) do not equal - most likely a filesystem error. Bruce advised you already to check it. May I add that you can try resizing the partitions, too. Swap = 2X RAM, or 128 MB in your case will be OK, or even 256 MB, but perhaps not over 1 G.

If you're familiar with DOS, good old "format c:/u" command (after wiping the drive of partitions and creating only 1 FAT partition for the entire disk) will tell you if the drive is still usable. If it is, then redo your partitions in Puppy (cfdisk in console), and reinstall. And don't bother to resize pup001 again :)

Always press 2 or 3 at boot-up of Puppy CD to prevent Puppy from using the drive, so you can do what you like with its partitions.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

richiew

#10 Post by richiew »

I have to say that trying to resize pup001 was when I was getting desperate! :D

When I attempt to copy files it seems that I have around 150 MB free, although I reckon that should be closer to 1.5 GB

64 MB RAM

Option 2 install (Chubby Puppy - think I have not mentioned that so far)

Using GRUB

Using that exact swapon command in that exact file

MUT is not misreporting (I think). The 'Swap Off' button is an option as opposed to an indication.

I will try fsck. Part of the problem that I have is that my PC will not boot from CD. To get around this I am using a 'WAKEUP' disk as found elsewhere on the forum. This does not seem to give me many options when booting.

I will give it a go and post an update.

(PS I am away for a couple of days to my activity here will disappear. I will be back)

richiew

#11 Post by richiew »

Okay.

I tried the dsck command and it found some errors, wihch I fixed. However, this made no difference to the figures given in the previous posts.

I also tried e2dsck (I think that is the command) which was suggested by the bootup comments when running Chubby Puppy from the CD. This found lots of errors and apparently fixed them. However, when I re-ran the program it just found the same errors. Anyway, it didn't work.

So I started again.

I now have three partition, one for Puppy (512MB), one as a swap (256MB) and one spare with all the extra space.

One further problem I had was that cfdisk did not seem to partition properly. Puppy itself would not recognise some of the paritions and when I eventually used Ranish it said some of the values in the partition table were out of range. Using Ranish to make three partitions (either FAT-32 or FAT16) finally worked. All the partitions now show the space that I would expect.

Thanks to all those who helped. Puppy is great. :wink: