Dialup suddenly failed in Puppy 1.04

Using applications, configuring, problems
Kenneth Gundry

Dialup suddenly failed in Puppy 1.04

#1 Post by Kenneth Gundry »

I have a laptop running Puppy 1.04 with a modem plugged into the side. For a year or more it worked fine, but a week or two ago, it would not connect. The same computer running XP with the same modem, and a desktop computer running Windows 98 connect without trouble. I made no conscious changes.

The symptoms are that using Wvdial the modem dials in successfuly, makes the appropriate connecting noises, apparently announces my username, tells me on screen "looks like a password prompt", "sending password", but then fails with the announcement "PPP: not enabled". It then disconnects, and some seconds later starts over.

The hard disk (ntfs) has a pup001 file storing all my settings. In Windows, I renamed that, so disabling it, made a new empty 256K pup001, and rebooted into Puppy. After resetting the modem (ttyS0), I put the required settings into Wvdial, with exactly the same result. It connects and does all the right things until the password prompt. Incidentally, if I put in an incorrect username, instead I get a message saying "incorrect password" so apparently the server is receiving and recognizing my password.

What to do?

Kenneth Gundry

purple_ghost

Please describe your hardware specifications.

#2 Post by purple_ghost »

What kind of Modem? Plugged in where? Is it an External, Serial Modem?

I can understand why some do not want to upgrade to a later version of software. How many times have I started an upgrade only to end up .... Why did I start this.

I have no experience with Puppy 1.04. A number of posts suggest that the best version of Puppy One is 1.08 or the 1.09 CE version. Depending upon your need.

However that is rhetorical at this point. If the Modem worked before. Then you pose the right question. What changed?

Is the battery on the Laptop charged up? Some Laptops are reputed to have a problem in that if a PCM card is inserted, it constantly drains the battery.

Have you changed the wires around in some way? Are all the connections tight. I have an External Serial Modem which, after I seem to get it tight with my fingers. I still must tighten it down more with a screw driver.

Has someone stomped on the telephone line?

To compare notes:
A lot of others have had problems like the ones you describe with which we have tried to fix by using other dialers. However. the dialers I am aware of, are in Puppy 2. In my case I changed the speed of the dialer on the serial port. This is, the wrong way to change the speed. Better to modify the "init strings". In your case. I do not think you can directly change the "init strings" in the older version of Wvdial.

I found another part of the mystery just the other day. I decided to change from my US Robotics 5686 E modem back to the Best Data V.92. I disregarded the advice not to put a splitter on the telephone line. I really like to use the phone without manually moving the wire around. As I said. I re-connected all the wires to the Best Data Modem. I logged on and I changed the Serial Port Speed back to its default of 115200. My workaround to get the dial up (with the US Robotics Modem) to work again was to reduce the Serial Port Speed down to 57600. One must use one of the standard speeds, or the thing connects at the slowest possible speed. I use the Gnome PPP Modem Dialer in Puppy 2.14, which allows me to change this speed. Then I could log in. It worked. I wanted to deceive myself that it ran faster. I believe that the "init strings" used as the default in the dialer program match up better for the Best Data Modem than the US Robotics Modem. I was giddy with success. For about five minutes. As it was a cold morning. I started an electric heater. The connection showed to be connected. However the connection was dead. Experimenting showed that indeed. The Best Data Modem did not want any other piece of equipment to share power with it.

I do not have the equipment to find out if the wall Plug is not providing sufficient power or the little power supply cube for the modem is no longer up to its job. The US Robotics Modem (and its own little power cube) does not care one way or the other about the electric heater. However the US Robotics Modem must have its Serial Port speed cut down by at least half to get online. Or It gives the same errors you get.

When I bought the US Robotics Modem it came with a short telephone wire. The instructions clearly said to use only that cord with the modem. To plug it into the wall plug. Not a telephone line splitter. I would also guess I should be warned not to put a large power line near the telephone line. I had a friend who had several household telephones on his one telephone line. He had to unplug the Caller ID box to get his modem to work. Even then he had constantly problems with drop outs. He had too many extensions on the same circuit to keep the line clean. I had another friend who insisted he had to have a mobile phone split off his telephone line. He also has constant hassles with his Dial up dropping out. Obviously, Other devices throw static and disruption on the telephone line. Like wise a long telephone line is not good for the connection. In my case. I wonder if the problem is a bit like Monday Morning Illness in a computer.

Some of us have also had success in using the KPPP dialer. While it is normally in KDE. If you are not running any other part of KDE. You can use the Dot Pup. Oops. The Dot Pup works in Puppy 2.14. I am not sure it works in Puppy one. Even then I had to change the Serial Port Speed.

My ISP has on its website a note that if I try to connect at a speed that the ISP does not think is stable. It will reduce the speed on its own. Which is dead slow, 9800. However. 9800 does stay on. Not the same symptom you have.

If you are not using an External Serial Port Modem. I do not know what the effect is of changing the speed setting is. I do not think there is any way to try to change the speed directly using Wvdial, unless you are using a GUI interface over the Wvdial. Like I said. The interface I use is Gnome PPP Modem Dialer. Which is in the Pet Gets for Puppy 2.14. Also notice. You must download and install the other version of Wvdial 1.5.? The Wvdial already in Puppy 2.14 does not work with Gnome PPP modem dialer. With Gnome PPP modem dialer you can change, according to what I read. The second "init string" The first string is ATZ. According to what I see. KPPP Modem Dialer allows one to change all the "init strings".

Have you tried Gkdial with this problem? You can manually edit the Gkdial Modem file to change the speed setting. If you first create a login with Gkdial. It is located in:
If you start Rox. Go up one level. Open the folder etc. The open the folder ppp. Oops. it is not there for me right now. As I am already logged in with Gnome. It is under one of the folders there under the name of the peer you chose to enter when you configured Gkdial.

Try whatever seems right to you. Tell us what kind of Modem you have. Maybe someone who used Puppy 1.04 can be of better help.

tempestuous

#3 Post by tempestuous »

Maybe your Internet Service Provider changed their password authentication scheme? pap versus chap, I don't fully understand it myself, but I read somewhere on the web how to accommodate chap authentication. See here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 1511#71511

purple_ghost

Good points Tempestous

#4 Post by purple_ghost »

The nice thing about using the "Gnome PPP Modem dialer" is that It will automatically find the location of the modem. I do not need to use the Puppy Wizard. AND it chooses the PAP/CHAP stuff. However. I should consider that I might be just lucky that my ISP uses one of the options to which the "Gnome PPP Modem Dialer" automaticallly has available.

Likewise. KPPP dialer sorts those things out. Now if you are one of those who is compiling a Modem Driver. Sigh. None of that info about the Modem Dialer may be correct or useful.

Kenneth, What are your thoughts on changing to a later version of Puppy?

Kenneth Gundry

#5 Post by Kenneth Gundry »

Many thanks, everyone.

Why Puppy 1.04? Because that was the first one I tried, it worked fine, and I subscribe to "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". In addition, the next version was unusable because the icons on screen would not stay put. I have in fact been using 1.08 on a computer at work, and that has just broken, in that the live CD-RW became full, and nothing I can do allows me to make a new one containing the material from the old one (which still boots properly but of course will not save anything). I followed all the instructions, to insert a new CD-RW when prompted and all that, and ended up with a raw bootable CD with none of the downloaded software and settings. Worse, downloading software, the system crashed at the last moment, and now the software I want is neither functional on the computer nor present on PupGet to try again! I also have 1.08 on a CD-R, requiring PUP001 on the hard disk, so I will take that home and try it.

I gave no information on the actual modem because the failed system is at home and I am writing at work. It is a little card that plugs into the side of the Dell 1000 computer. I was given it by a friend when I found I could not make the built-in software modem work, despite downloading the driver and the modem appearing in the Wizard listing (ttySLO or something like that). As I said, there is no hardware problem, because the modem works in Windows XP.

I cannot think the problem is anything to do with batteries. I rarely if ever run the laptop on its battery; I always use the external power supply (I bought the computer almost entirely as an audio recorder, with external USB converters).

Puppy 1.04 and 1.08 both provide three or four dial-up programs. but the only one that actually seems to dial is WvDial, so that is the one I was using until it failed. I did of course try the others, and they seem to accept setting up the account, but when I tell them to dial nothing happens (and didn't even when Wvdial worked). I believe that after setting up an account, /etc/ppp/peers should contain a file. That directory is empty, and that may be significant. By the way, yes you can change the initialization strings in 1.04, but I wouldn't know what they should be other than the defaults. If you delete them, the defaults are reinserted.

I don't think the suggestions about serial port speed are relevant, although somewhere in the setup the system put 115000 in a speed box; isn't that the maximum? Anyway, again, I have made no changes and it used to work.

Yes, I think the most likely cause is that the ISP provider changed something. I did try them first, and got the usual message "all our technicians are busy with other clients". However, I did talk to them just now. The man was not aware of any change, or none that he was letting on about, but perhaps it was significant that he asked when I was last able to connect. However, he says they can monitor their system while I try, and thus see what it is that fails, so I shall try again tonight.

Ken Gundry

john biles

#6 Post by john biles »

Hello Kenneth Gundry,
Is an other apps running in the background trying to access the internet.
If I am downloading a large ISO on dial-up and need to redial. Even though I pause the download with my downloader, my Dial-up with Gkdial will not reconnect to my ISP provider giving the same discribed errors as you get.
I have to shutdown my downloading app and sometimes I have to keep redialing until it decides to reconnect. If I reboot it connects first go.

Also have you tried to connect using the original Puppy 1.04 CD Live with out an of your setting burnt on it and setting up your dial-up again?
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

Kenneth Gundry

#7 Post by Kenneth Gundry »

John,

Thanks but no, there was absolutely nothing else running. It may be significant that none of the other dialers will even dial out, but that was not new. I could never make Gkdial, or whatever the other one in Puppy 1.04 was called, work. As I said, the modem works fine in XP. Yes, I tried making a brand-new empty pup001, and even that wouldn't work. The modem wizard recognizes the modem as ttySO1; when I have entered the telephone number, username and password in Wvdial, it dials in, connects, apparently sends the username, is prompted for the password, says it is sending the password, and then announces "PPP: not enabled". (All the settings are identical with those that worked for a couple of years, and still work in Windows 98 on another computer and in XP on this one). I tried loading Puppy 1.08 instead, to find that Wvdial is not present, and again the other diallers wouldn't. Very frustrating. No time to spend at present. I was up until midnight the other day!

Ken Gundry