Virtual Box vs. VMWare

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jasray

Virtual Box vs. VMWare

#1 Post by jasray »

One person contacted me about supplying additional instructions on how to make Pizzapup work like Qemu Pup which is Erik Veenstra's project. Since no one seems interested, I'll wait until more interest develops.

I also noticed some people are using VM Ware virtual machine to run the .iso. Experience says, "No way!" If you want to run any .iso, simply use VirtualBox by Innotek. Even the MS Virtual Machine (a freebie) will work. VM Ware is notoriously slow for my tastes and totally unpredictable. The problem with both is persistence--the ability to shut down the Virutal Machine and save the changes. It may be possible; however, I doubt it because both require registry entries to be installed on the host machine. Erik is absolutely correct when he says the goal is to leave the host machine uninfected--no trace, no anything.

So . . . read Erik's information, run over to pendrivelinux, and trust Pizzapup. Everthing is possible. Some editing will be required, but once a user gets Pizzapup running w/ Qemu and the option of installing KQemu, the results are just short of miraculous. Stream music from Mediamax.com which has a default plugin for Firefox. It's gold. If Mr. Murga will allow it, I shall post whatever information or even the files I currently have that will work on any flash wherever needed.

Some super work being done by great minds--thanks so much.

jas.

ags

#2 Post by ags »

Hi Jas,

I would also like to have a description of how you set up Pizzapup on a USB stick with a VM. I have puppy installed on a 256 memory stick, but have found too many pc refusing to boot so I would like to try your setup. I could always carry a wakepup disc or multisession CD, but I like to keep things simple and at hand. My USB stick is always with me.

Hope this helps to persuade you to share

Rgds

Arne

thegeekster

#3 Post by thegeekster »

Hi jasray,

Funny you should mention VirtualBox............I'm currently looking into implementing a VirtualBox "server OS" and came across two choices for a barebones installation of the host OS with X: Puppy and RIPLinux......... :D

The idea is to run a minimal host OS for running virtual instances of my currently installed OSes, to allow me to easily switch between them when the need arises..........Lately, I've been having to reboot into Windows quite a bit, and am looking for a way to simplify matters..........

I haven't tried VirtualBox yet, but after looking it over at their website, I can't wait to get it up and running...............I've used QEMU, but it can be a bit flaky at times, and the free version of VB seems to have a few more options available than QEMU......

And I, too, would like some info on your current setup.............I tried setting up QEMU using Erik's files, but I couldn't get it to find the USB drive, but I just installed Pizzapup and am playing around with it and will try putting it on my pen drive.........Then I'll install VB and see how it goes......... ;)

---thegeekster

jcoder24

#4 Post by jcoder24 »

Does virtual box work in puppy?

thegeekster

#5 Post by thegeekster »

jcoder24 wrote:Does virtual box work in puppy?
It should be able to.....Puppy is a Linux install, and VirtualBox works in Linux.......After installing, it will be saved in the pup-save file for the next reboot, unless you remaster Puppy to include VirtualBox........ ;)

fellow

pizzapup-qemu/usb boot

#6 Post by fellow »

I'm interested in pizzapup for qemu with usb boot. please post an instruction set> thank you!

fellow

Turpin

#7 Post by Turpin »

I'm VERY INTERESTED. I have the interest of 10 people, maybe 11. Please tell us more of this miracle, oh wise one. :D Really, much of my hair is pulled out laying on the ground around my seat. I think some of my sanity fell down there with it. Why can't I get QemuPuppy working?!?! Yep, I read all the documentation, several times over now, did everything exactly right many times, then tried everything wrong many times to see if that would work. All I have to show for it is the same error: "Cannot find puppy on '_____' boot media...". Regular Puppy boots fine from the usb pendrive, but QemuPuppy only boots in qemu mode. Yes, I ran syslinux. Yes I edited the living ____ out of the syslinux.cfg. What else can I do but give up??? If you can write up an instruction set like this, it might give me something else to try to get some form of this thing to work. I see no alternatives out there. It's this or nothing, and it's looking like NOTHING for me.

Turpin

#8 Post by Turpin »

Turpin

#9 Post by Turpin »

QemuPizzaPup is a work of genius, Jasray (as is Puppy, as is QemuPuppy, as is PizzaPup) . I don't know if you're looking for publicity, so I'll leave it at that for now. Thanks. :)

Turpin

#10 Post by Turpin »

As cool as QemuPizzaPup is, I wonder if I can ever find a way to do what I'm really wanting to do: Have a bootable, portable, QEMU-able, persistent, Puppy (or other) Linux that has sound and networking in Windows. QemuPizzapup is great for booting Puppy in WIndows and it has the advantage over Qemu-Puppy of having full sound in windows, but Qemu-Puppy has the advantage over QemuPizzapup of being bootable at the hardware level for serious Linux computing/3D capability/performance. I can't choose between these features because I need them all: bootable from hardware, will run beside windows, will keep my settings (even if I have to change X-modes and network settings), and has multimedia in Windows. Bootable in qemu-mode in Linux would be a nice extra, but I don't personally need that. Is there a way in existence today to do that?

Or, alternatively, has ANYONE gotten sound in Qemu-Puppy's emulated mode working in WIndows? My Qemu-Puppy is silent. I've even tried "-soundhw es1370" and "-soundhw all" in my batch file for it.

stomfi

Virtual Box Addins

#11 Post by stomfi »

I am writing from the latest Puppy in a VirtualBox under Win2k. I installed to the virtual drive using the excellent tools, installed the devx files into the / folder, mounted the additions iso on the cdrom via the VB menu, ran the installer and got the complaint that it's internal command runlevel.sh couldn't find any run levels.

I find that Puppy doesn't use runlevels. I need the additions to be able to mount a shared folder, so I can use Puppy on this low RAM/space P3 as it is very fast and to save my files to the host.

How can I emulate runlevels to satisfy the VB additions installer?

PS Running Puppy like this is a good way of avoiding Internetted Windows malware.