How to get Gxine to start when I click an mp3?

Using applications, configuring, problems
toddr

How to get Gxine to start when I click an mp3?

#1 Post by toddr »

This is my second install of Puppy and I love it! The first install was version 1.08 and this last one was 2.14. My question is, how do I get Gzine to auto start when I click on an MP3? In my 1.08 box, when you click on an MP3 it automatically opens Gzine and begins playing the track. Now on my new box (old box) when you click on an MP3 nothing happens. I can open Gzine and through the file menu open the file that way, but clicking on it does nothing. I right clicked on the MP3 and tried to set the run action but that didn't work. Any ideas? I have another question. How do I set Firefox as the primary browser? I uninstalled the Seamonkey suite with PupBeGone and installed Firefox and Thunderbird. When I click on the information button in the package manager nothing happens. What a great little distro! Everything else works out of the box. Including an old ISA modem! :D

Kal

#2 Post by Kal »

Right click on the file you wish to have run by a certain program and go to Set Run Action, Type in the name of the program, example: gxine "$@", and say, Use Command. The name of the program is "GXINE" not "GZINE.

Not sure what you want for Firefox, but you can go to /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser, right click on it, use Open As Text and change with text editor to read:

#!/bin/sh
#exec mozstart "$@"
exec firefox "$@"

Check that you have a link in /usr/local/bin for firefox. If not, open your firefox folder and drag firefox (use Ctrl and Shift key at the same time on keyboard to make a link) to /usr/local/bin.

Good Luck, Kal

toddr

#3 Post by toddr »

Your Firefox fix worked perfectly. It is now the default browser. The MP3 fix worked once and after that gxine (not gzine, duh) crashed every time. :( Any other ideas? Thanks for your help Kal!

Kal

#4 Post by Kal »

I believe that, with gxine, so try defaultmediaplayer "$1". Normally madplay is set.
Kal
ps: The first thing I change in Puppy is gxine. At times I have install xine-ui instead. I am using KDE, so now I install mplayer and kmplayer. Check out MU's site on dotpups for xine-0.99.4.pup:

http://puppyfiles.org/dotpupsde/dotpups/Multimedia/

toddr

#5 Post by toddr »

Well, I installed xine 0.99.4 and the install went fine. Unfortunately I am getting an error message: No demuxer found - stream format not recognised. I get this with both xine and gxine. I then downloaded the latest ffmpeg from the same site. I am guessing I need to configure xine to play mp3's. I am not sure what to do next. Thanks for your help.

Kal

#6 Post by Kal »

How about we test on something we know is more than likely stable. Go to the file "ivy.mp3" in /root/puppy-reference/audio, left click on it. It should open and run with which ever player or program you have in the Set Run Action.

I would for general principles also install "xine_extra_codecs-1", it's a .pet package in "Puppy package manager", located at Menu>Setup.

Sometimes you have to hit open or play more than once to get xine (which is the backend for both gxine and xine-ui) to start, if you get that type of message.

Good Luck, Kal

toddr

#7 Post by toddr »

I tried the "ivy MP3" and I get: The xine engine failed to start. No demuxer found - stream format not recognised. This problem is getting to be a pain. :( I have the extra-codecs installed. Thanks for your time.

willhunt

how I do it

#8 Post by willhunt »

open rox and right click on a mp3 file
then click set run action
click clear then enter gxine -e "$1" click use command
I use the -e to enque that way I can just add all the songs to the playlist

toddr

#9 Post by toddr »

Sorry for the delay, things have been crazy. I tried your suggestion willhunt and recieved the same error. In the meantime, I tried Puppy 2.15CE and it is awesome! I ended up wiping the harddrive and installing that. It uses xmms instead of gxine and it works flawlessly. Thanks guys for your suggestions. I really appreciate it. :)