92%
Down with Splash Screens
8%

Total votes: 12

Lobster
Official Crustacean

More gentle Splash

#1 Post by Lobster »

After some Pups were terrified by "Pizzasgood" rainbow Pup in 1.0.2 - I rather liked the idea of a splash screen - I am suggesting this very sedate seagull based Puppy

I know Barry is contemplating removing the splash screen - but I think we need to have an image and move towards that. Perhaps if others would like to design or suggest a non-scary screen we can retain the splash screen . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

dvw86

#2 Post by dvw86 »

Yours looks quite nice.

Pizzasgood

#3 Post by Pizzasgood »

Was mine really that bad? I still haven't gotten around to upgrading, so I haven't seen it in action yet. Kinda ironic. I downloaded it last night, so I just need to move some files around and I'll hopefully have 1.0.2 running. Then I'll look into making a less-harsh version. I still like the idea of incorporating the original Puppy's image. I mean, if you're booting Puppy Linux, you should see a puppy, not a seagull. :roll:
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

mouldy

#4 Post by mouldy »

Can somebody post the 'scary' splash. I am using 1.0.1 now and since i'm on very slow dialup, wont be upgrading until there is great incentive to do so, thus probably wont ever see it.

Auda

#5 Post by Auda »

I think the puppies head is a good foreground but something less harsh in the background would be nice.
I like the seagull pic, its free and calmy glides above above all the turmoil of the sea below it, however this is puppy linux not seagull.
By the way my dell laptops dont show the splash screen which is good I always think they are hiding something or is that just windows ?

Rich

#6 Post by Rich »

The poll seems to be going overwhelmingly for a splash of some kind.

However, although familiar to Puppy users everywhere , I'm not sure it should be a seagull.
A more canine based image would really be more appropriate.

Out of all the submitted logo's so far - I think that Ian's ( check the Wiki hardware page ) is the most appropriate. Simple, original, instantly recognisable.

Every other distro has a simple graphic representation.....I don't see why puppy can't have one too.

However.....after a bit more thought........the seagull is a lot more cryptic. Warming to it now !

Rich

Jawshc

Re: More gentle Splash

#7 Post by Jawshc »

I'm not a big fan of the seagull splash screen, a nice puppy screen would be better since it is Puppy Linux. Maybe a puppy picture that is not so bright?

Lobster wrote:After some Pups were terrified by "Pizzasgood" rainbow Pup in 1.0.2 - I rather liked the idea of a splash screen - I am suggesting this very sedate seagull based Puppy

I know Barry is contemplating removing the splash screen - but I think we need to have an image and move towards that. Perhaps if others would like to design or suggest a non-scary screen we can retain the splash screen . . .

JohnMurga
Site Admin

#8 Post by JohnMurga »

Hey

Yeah, I want to see Puppies ;-)

Cheers
JohnM

Rich

#9 Post by Rich »

JohnMurga wrote:Hey

Yeah, I want to see Puppies ;-)

The english people on the forum will no doubt echo that sentiment John ! :D

Rhino

#10 Post by Rhino »

I like the idea of the splash screen however it is hardly on my screen long enough during the boot to merit much mention. The current muli-colored pup is possibly a bit bold and we might be able to come up with something different.

What are the dimensions, format and size limits of the splash screen file? Maybe several people could submit possibilities and then put up a poll on the forum and let the Puppy users decide. Then Barry can pick one he likes (or not at all) or choose the ones the puppians like. ;-)

everettattebury

Possible splash screen

#11 Post by everettattebury »

Thanks for the Gimp package, I had a lot of fun playing with it today.

Here are a couple of possible splash screens I came up with:

Pizzasgood

#12 Post by Pizzasgood »

Can somebody post the 'scary' splash. I am using 1.0.1 now and since i'm on very slow dialup, wont be upgrading until there is great incentive to do so, thus probably wont ever see it.
This is the 'scary' splash. I thought it was funny...

To my knowledge, the requirements are 640x400, and 16 colors.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

everettattebury

Maybe a new logo for distrowatch.com?

#13 Post by everettattebury »

This is the same dimensions as the one they are currently using:

dvw86

#14 Post by dvw86 »

Rhino wrote: Maybe several people could submit possibilities and then put up a poll on the forum and let the Puppy users decide. Then Barry can pick one he likes (or not at all) or choose the ones the puppians like. ;-)

Great idea! We could do the same thing for an official icon. I really like everettattebury's submission BTW.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#15 Post by Lobster »

Pizzasgood is right, the size has to be 640x480 and 16 colours and smaller than the rather massive seagull (I always thought Tux had learnt to fly again . . .) Maybe it is the famous Jonathon Livingstone (Seagull)? Or do I presume?

So I would think Jpg or png is best - I posted in gif because this was the original format. Then realized it was massive.

I feel that everettattebury has done the best gimp inspired splash screen so far.

I know some people have kittens and other sensitive creatures. Were they able to retain tranquillity and composure whilst viewing this puppy splash screen?

:shock:
as for an "official" icon - bring it on - have fun - get gimping

Anyone up to doing a complete theme or icon set?

PS. Puppy is too cute for officials
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

nduanetesh
Ultra Super-stud

#16 Post by nduanetesh »

I really like the idea of a splash screen, and I really like the idea of incorporating the original puppy into it. And I think the thing that's most disturbing about the current splash screen is that (at least on my monitor), it's a GIANT puppy head, with GIANT bulging eyes that seem to sear into my soul. And that's a little troubling. Are there any pics of the pup that are a little less...menacingly hypnotic? How 'bout something like a smaller puppy head amongst a crowd of penguins, to show puppy's special place among all of the other linux distros?

ND

JaDy

#17 Post by JaDy »

I voted for Splash Me! but with reservations.
Make it small. As small as possible. Maybe in ascii art.
And keep it persistent, scrolling messages in bottom half of screen.
Felicitations & Facilitations, Rev. John G. Derrickson
Wrote fast. Goofs happen. Tell me.

Pizzasgood

#18 Post by Pizzasgood »

Try this on for size. I still need to add some text (or maybe it doesn't need any, it depends on what everyone thinks).

Not only is it softer, it's darker, so it isn't a big contrast deal when you go from a black screen to the image. :wink:
Last edited by Pizzasgood on Sun 22 May 2005, 03:09, edited 1 time in total.

dvw86

#19 Post by dvw86 »

The "Puppy god".

Pizzasgood

#20 Post by Pizzasgood »

I was actually thinking more along the lines of angel, but yeah. I was just messing with his head in Gimp, and it wound up all bright. Then I noticed the clouds filter, so I used that in the background. Then I got to the light filters. When I added a flare, it just happened to be behind Puppy. That's when I realized what I had created. From there, I just added some effects and stuff. If anyone cares, this is the un-dithered version. Maybe someone who knows more dithering tricks than I do can do a better job at that. It also makes a nice wallpaper.

The head was, uh, severed in Fireworks. The text was made by www.cooltext.com. The rest was done in Gimp.

The reason it is 640x400 instead 0f 640x480 is to leave room for the meter under it. I could re-do it at 640x480 if necessary, though. Oh, and I believe the actual image is stored in the goofy.16 file in the image.
See this thread for more info on this.