Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 19 Sep 2018, 13:36
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Successful first time wifi use
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
mouldy

PostPosted: Wed 25 Apr 2007, 04:50    Post subject:  Successful first time wifi use  

Finally took my old cheapo laptop with Puppy 2.14 to public library yesterday. They have free wifi though you sign in with your library card on screen that pops up on browser (could only sign in using Seamonkey, gave error if I tried to sign in with Opera) before surfing and are limited to 2hr session though you can sign right back on for another 2hr session indefinitely if you want. Once signed in I could use any browser.

I had read many of wifi threads here on forum, still didnt know exactly what to expect. Little bit of fumbling but had my $15 rt2500 clone card set up and connected in around 5 minutes thanks to the excellent Puppy networking wizard.

Experimented downloading Puppy 2.15CE. Took around an hour, download speed varied widely over that hour, I assume depending how many connected to library network at a particular point in time. Still ten times faster than my dialup connection at home. One could get used to fast connection (yes I know it isnt THAT fast for broadband) quite easily. And I could surf at same time as download without slowing either download or the surfing. Still amazing after having always used an exceptionally slow dialup connection. And nice to have my own computer with Puppy rather than a library dummy terminal with only a crippled IE to work with. Those dummy terminals never seemed much faster than my dialup at home plus I couldnt download anything with them, just surf.
raffy

PostPosted: Wed 25 Apr 2007, 10:16    Post subject: specs  

That's nice to hear, but it will also be good to know the specs of your laptop. Smile
mouldy

PostPosted: Wed 25 Apr 2007, 11:33    Post subject: Re: specs  

raffy wrote:
That's nice to hear, but it will also be good to know the specs of your laptop. Smile

Sorry, 366mhz processor with 256mb ram. Cheapie TS30T no name clone (also sold as Dell Inspiron 3500 among several other brands) I got off ebay for US$27 total shipped price minus hardrive and AC power supply which I already had on hand. Battery even holds a charge and screen and case is in good shape. (Thankyou M$ for making these laptops obsolete in windows world and thus affordable in used market.) Except for the neo-media sound chip, Puppy is very happy on this computer. And even sound ok if you use external amplified speakers like you would with a desktop. Otherwise sound is very muted.
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: