pure-ftpd passwords messed up. How to recover?

Using applications, configuring, problems
FearMeansControl

pure-ftpd passwords messed up. How to recover?

#1 Post by FearMeansControl »

i've got puppy 2.14 set up running as an ftp server using pure-ftpd, and i screwed up while setting up a user. after putting in the user name, i put in a password, then entered it for the second time. the two passwords did not match (i know i typed them wrong), and it did not prompt me to re-enter the passwords. so.. how might one go about deleting a user, or changing their password.. (i'd prefer deletion) yeah, i realize this should probably be on the pure-ftpd project site, but i figured since its included in puppy, i might start here and hopefully help someone having the same problem.

-thanks

p.s: anyone know about allowing users to write to their directories as well?[/b]

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#2 Post by GuestToo »

in an rxvt console window, type:

passwd username

where "username" is the name of the user

you need to set the permissions correctly for files and directories ... you can setting the ownership of all the files in a directory by tying something like this:

chown -R rover:users /home/rover

or

chown -R rover:rover /home/rover

where "rover" is the name of the user, and /home/rover is the directory you want rover to be able to use

you can set the read and write permissions of individual directories and files by right clicking them in a Rox window and selecting Properties