Cafe' Puppy...

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
acklan

Cafe' Puppy...

#1 Post by acklan »

A friend and I wanted to open a cafe' with web access to the customers. 10+ computers to just surf web. The main thing stopping us was the junk that the customers would download to the computers. We would be working on them more than washing diskes.
What are your thoughts? P-III, 256meg RAM+, CD-R, no HD. Just give out a 25

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Sounds like an excellent idea to me. Maybe put more RAM than 256 MB in the computers, and make it a multisession CD so your customers can save what they download. That, and good food, should keep them coming back for more. Good luck.

Pizzasgood

#3 Post by Pizzasgood »

As long as you sell pizzaburgers, the food part will not be a problem. I'd drive 30 miles for a pizzaburger. No one seems to make them anymore. Maybe it's just me, but I think they taste better than any other burger (even better than DQ's Flamethrower, but it's a close one). Add in the internet part, and you'll have a money factory. A fast, maintenance-free internet setup and pizzaburgers. It doesn't get any better! :P
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

#4 Post by Guest »

You wanna decent burger...

Come downunder and see what a real hamburger tastes like

acklan

#5 Post by acklan »

I was thinking more like crawfish, boudin, and hoghead cheese. MMmmmmm (burp).
Could I use Cafe' Puppy??

#6 Post by Guest »

Many years ago while visiting friend who lived on a Mississippi river bayou I ate lunch with them which was a crawdad(crayfish) gumbo but didn't find out until after I had already eaten it.

Pizzasgood

#7 Post by Pizzasgood »

I would, but it's hard to find round-trip tickets to Australia for $31.80, and even if I could, that would leave me with nothing to buy the burger with. :( So I guess I have to settle for Flamethrowers and the occasional pizzaburger.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#8 Post by Lobster »

acklan wrote: Could I use Cafe' Puppy??
As long as you use the Puppy and flower logo and send us a pic . . .

8)

PS.
Glad to hear my cousins the crawfish are behaving themselves and making themselves useful . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

edoc on guest on diff pc

Re: Cafe' Puppy...

#9 Post by edoc on guest on diff pc »

[quote="acklan"]A friend and I wanted to open a cafe' with web access to the customers. 10+ computers to just surf web. The main thing stopping us was the junk that the customers would download to the computers. We would be working on them more than washing diskes.

#10 Post by Guest »

was done ages ago, with netbooting diskless clients and / mounted via nfs at a uni somewhere around holland or some region 'round there

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#11 Post by Lobster »

BladeH - seem to remember you were working on such a scheme?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

#12 Post by Guest »

That was it...worked great.......but once again ppl couldn't follow instructions or wouldn't read them properly and got sick of answering dumb ass questions where the answers were in the text.....That's why anything I develop now I'm going to do it for myself.....Just spent WAYYYYYYYYYY too much time writing documentation only for ppl not to read it or just skim over it and still expect things to work.........

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#13 Post by Lobster »

People are strange beasts. I never read documentation - if I can avoid it - even when essential. I really am unreasonable - I expect a program to be so obvious and intuitive that it works the way I expect - not the way that is easiest to program. I guess I am your worst nightmare (no probably not :)
:oops:

Despite all this I think most of us are sociable and want any work we do to be shared and used.

Programming (sometimes known as the 'dark art') is a form of magic - or more accurately conjuring - everything is in the presentation . . .

Like most skilled programmers presentation does not interest you - tricky . . .
Whatever you decide I fully support your efforts which I know in the past have gone unappreciated (I do not use Wi-fi - otherwise I would be more supportive)

Be kind to the new pups - or at least chew slowly before swallowing . ..

:)
this link might be useful:
http://www.dnalounge.com/backstage/src/kiosk/
Last edited by Lobster on Sat 27 Aug 2005, 12:25, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Cafe' Puppy...

#14 Post by BarryK »

[quote="acklan"]A friend and I wanted to open a cafe' with web access to the customers. 10+ computers to just surf web. The main thing stopping us was the junk that the customers would download to the computers. We would be working on them more than washing diskes.

Pence

#15 Post by Pence »

Hope Katrina stays away from you all in Louisiana.

acklan

#16 Post by acklan »

Yes Barry that was what I had in mind. I wanted to take it one step futher. Make a verison where it's DHCP only and the only thing that could be entered would be a user name and password. Try to take the stupid factor out. I retire in 5 years(way too soon) and this would be something nice to do.

I hope that bad girl stays out in the gulf. New Orleans is 22 ft below sea level.

acklan

#17 Post by acklan »

I think I have found someone who will invest. We are going to try it near LSU. Thats the talk. I'll let you know if he can come up with the cash.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#18 Post by BarryK »

acklan wrote:I hope that bad girl stays out in the gulf. New Orleans is 22 ft below sea level.
So, does that mean New Orleans will turn into a big pond if there's too much rain?
...has it ever happened?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#19 Post by Flash »

The New York Times wrote:August 29, 2005
Powerful Storm Threatens Havoc Along Gulf Coast
By JOSEPH B. TREASTER and ABBY GOODNOUGH

NEW ORLEANS, Aug. 28 - Hurricane Katrina, one of the most powerful storms ever to threaten the United States, bore down on the Gulf Coast on Sunday, sending hundreds of thousands of people fleeing the approach of its 160-mile-an-hour winds and prompting a mandatory evacuation of New Orleans, a city perilously below sea level.

"We are facing a storm that most of us have long feared," said Mayor C. Ray Nagin, who issued the order to evacuate. "This is a once-in-a-lifetime event."

The hurricane's eye was expected to make landfall around daybreak on Monday in southeastern Louisiana, possibly squarely in New Orleans...<>

The city has avoided a direct hit from a powerful storm since Hurricane Betsy in 1965. In addition to the dangerous winds, Mr. Nagin said, Hurricane Katrina could bring 15 inches of rain and a storm surge of 20 feet or higher that would "most likely topple" the network of levees and canals that normally protect the bowl-shaped city from flooding.

That possibility was enough for many of the city's 485,000 residents to heed the mayor's call to leave, paralyzing traffic along major highways from just after daybreak and into the evening.

"I probably won't have a house when I go back," Tanya Courtney, 25, who lives in the city's French Quarter, said Sunday in Gulfport, Miss., where she and a group of friends bound for Atlanta stopped for a rest.

The approaching storm shut down much of the oil production in the Gulf of Mexico, which is responsible for one-quarter of American oil production. The price of oil rose more than $4 a barrel on Sunday.
[/quote]

acklan

#20 Post by acklan »

Hi guys. I maybe off line for a little while. We are sending Fire Fighters to N.O. to help. I volunteered to go . I will let ya'll know something this evening. Keep us in your prayers

John