Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 27 Nov 2014, 20:27
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Cafe' Puppy...
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 2 [20 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
acklan

PostPosted: Fri 26 Aug 2005, 08:21    Post subject:  Cafe' Puppy...  

A friend and I wanted to open a cafe' with web access to the customers. 10+ computers to just surf web. The main thing stopping us was the junk that the customers would download to the computers. We would be working on them more than washing diskes.
What are your thoughts? P-III, 256meg RAM+, CD-R, no HD. Just give out a 25˘ cd (with the Pup onboard) when you get your coffe or donut. Or better yet collect a $ as a donation to the Puppy Linux cause. Good idea, bad idea, ugly????
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger 
ICQ Number 
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Fri 26 Aug 2005, 10:53    Post subject:  

Sounds like an excellent idea to me. Maybe put more RAM than 256 MB in the computers, and make it a multisession CD so your customers can save what they download. That, and good food, should keep them coming back for more. Good luck.
Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Fri 26 Aug 2005, 18:24    Post subject:  

As long as you sell pizzaburgers, the food part will not be a problem. I'd drive 30 miles for a pizzaburger. No one seems to make them anymore. Maybe it's just me, but I think they taste better than any other burger (even better than DQ's Flamethrower, but it's a close one). Add in the internet part, and you'll have a money factory. A fast, maintenance-free internet setup and pizzaburgers. It doesn't get any better! Razz

PostPosted: Fri 26 Aug 2005, 19:16    Post subject:  

You wanna decent burger...

Come downunder and see what a real hamburger tastes like
acklan

PostPosted: Fri 26 Aug 2005, 21:02    Post subject:  

I was thinking more like crawfish, boudin, and hoghead cheese. MMmmmmm (burp).
Could I use Cafe' Puppy??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger 
ICQ Number 

PostPosted: Fri 26 Aug 2005, 21:33    Post subject:  

Many years ago while visiting friend who lived on a Mississippi river bayou I ate lunch with them which was a crawdad(crayfish) gumbo but didn't find out until after I had already eaten it.
Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Fri 26 Aug 2005, 21:54    Post subject:  

I would, but it's hard to find round-trip tickets to Australia for $31.80, and even if I could, that would leave me with nothing to buy the burger with. Sad So I guess I have to settle for Flamethrowers and the occasional pizzaburger.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Fri 26 Aug 2005, 22:38    Post subject:  

acklan wrote:

Could I use Cafe' Puppy??

As long as you use the Puppy and flower logo and send us a pic . . .

Cool

PS.
Glad to hear my cousins the crawfish are behaving themselves and making themselves useful . . .

edoc on guest on diff pc

PostPosted: Sat 27 Aug 2005, 00:37    Post subject: Re: Cafe' Puppy...  

acklan wrote:
A friend and I wanted to open a cafe' with web access to the customers. 10+ computers to just surf web. The main thing stopping us was the junk that the customers would download to the computers. We would be working on them more than washing diskes.
What are your thoughts? P-III, 256meg RAM+, CD-R, no HD. Just give out a 25˘ cd (with the Pup onboard) when you get your coffe or donut. Or better yet collect a $ as a donation to the Puppy Linux cause. Good idea, bad idea, ugly????

When yoi get it working I want franchise rights to Florida and North Carolina for a $.

Wink doc

PostPosted: Sat 27 Aug 2005, 03:15    Post subject:  

was done ages ago, with netbooting diskless clients and / mounted via nfs at a uni somewhere around holland or some region 'round there
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Sat 27 Aug 2005, 04:49    Post subject:  

BladeH - seem to remember you were working on such a scheme?

PostPosted: Sat 27 Aug 2005, 05:54    Post subject:  

That was it...worked great.......but once again ppl couldn't follow instructions or wouldn't read them properly and got sick of answering dumb ass questions where the answers were in the text.....That's why anything I develop now I'm going to do it for myself.....Just spent WAYYYYYYYYYY too much time writing documentation only for ppl not to read it or just skim over it and still expect things to work.........
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Sat 27 Aug 2005, 06:36    Post subject:  

People are strange beasts. I never read documentation - if I can avoid it - even when essential. I really am unreasonable - I expect a program to be so obvious and intuitive that it works the way I expect - not the way that is easiest to program. I guess I am your worst nightmare (no probably not Smile
Embarassed

Despite all this I think most of us are sociable and want any work we do to be shared and used.

Programming (sometimes known as the 'dark art') is a form of magic - or more accurately conjuring - everything is in the presentation . . .

Like most skilled programmers presentation does not interest you - tricky . . .
Whatever you decide I fully support your efforts which I know in the past have gone unappreciated (I do not use Wi-fi - otherwise I would be more supportive)

Be kind to the new pups - or at least chew slowly before swallowing . ..

Smile
this link might be useful:
http://www.dnalounge.com/backstage/src/kiosk/

Last edited by Lobster on Sat 27 Aug 2005, 08:25; edited 1 time in total
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sat 27 Aug 2005, 08:21    Post subject: Re: Cafe' Puppy...  

acklan wrote:

The multisession cd would be good.
probably modify it so that you don't have to choose option 5 on the first boot.

Anything they download, they will take away.
Next time they come back, they bring their cd, all their stuff is on it, email, settings, history.
Pence

PostPosted: Sat 27 Aug 2005, 08:31    Post subject:  

Hope Katrina stays away from you all in Louisiana.
Page 1 of 2 [20 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Jump to: