2.14 booting speedup: no pup001 file, what to do?

Booting, installing, newbie
twodees

2.14 booting speedup: no pup001 file, what to do?

#1 Post by twodees »

There's a video tutorial at rhinoweb on speeding the bootup. It suggests finding the mnt/home folder where the pup001 file is located and copying the file named usr_cram.fs to the folder.

In the 2.14 I'm using there is no pup001 in mnt/home. Could this have been replaced by the pup_save.2fs? On the CD there's no usr_cram.fs. Is there a different file which will accomplish the same thing?

I'm assuming that the fix was for an earlier version of puppy . Am I correct?

Thanks in advance.
Here's the link to the tutorial:

http://rhinoweb.us/howtospeedupboot.htm

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#2 Post by GuestToo »

yes, for the latest versions of Puppy copying the pup_216.sfs and zdrv_216.sfs files from the CD to /mnt/home, where pup_save.3fs is located should do the same thing

pup_save.3fs might be named pup_save.2fs, and the number in the pup_216.sfs and zdrv_216.sfs file names will correspond to the version of Puppy you are using, for example, pup_215.sfs, but the idea is the same ... whatever the actual names of the files are, if you copy the files from the CD to the hard drive where the Puppy save file is, Puppy should find the files on the hard drive and use them

twodees

#3 Post by twodees »

GuestToo wrote:yes, for the latest versions of Puppy copying the pup_216.sfs and zdrv_216.sfs files from the CD to /mnt/home, where pup_save.3fs is located should do the same thing

pup_save.3fs might be named pup_save.2fs, and the number in the pup_216.sfs and zdrv_216.sfs file names will correspond to the version of Puppy you are using, for example, pup_215.sfs, but the idea is the same ... whatever the actual names of the files are, if you copy the files from the CD to the hard drive where the Puppy save file is, Puppy should find the files on the hard drive and use them
So, the cram file in 2.14 would be named what? Sorry to be dense, but this is all new to me. Thanks for the info.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#4 Post by GuestToo »

the equivalent of the usr_cram.fs file wouid be the pup_216.sfs and zdrv_216.sfs files (the number will be different if you are running a different version of Puppy)

the zdrv file contains drivers ... it is not mounted unless a driver modules needs to be installed

twodees

#5 Post by twodees »

Thank you for the info. I'm going to take it slow and learn more before doing a hard drive install and will be booting from CD for awhile yet. A slightly speedier boot would be great.

Thanks again.

vanotee

Booting

#6 Post by vanotee »

GuestToo wrote:yes, for the latest versions of Puppy copying the pup_216.sfs and zdrv_216.sfs files from the CD to /mnt/home, where pup_save.3fs is located should do the same thing

GuesToo: Applied this to pup_215CE. Fantastic result. Before this fix I dropped back to pup_213. I liked and prefered pup_215CE but the boot time was too long.

Thanks for the direstions.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#7 Post by GuestToo »

if you copy the 3 or 4 files on the cd to the hard drive, Puppy is 99% installed

actually, Puppy is 100% installed (frugal install), if you consider the boot loader program to be a separate program, and not an integral part of Puppy

vanotee

#8 Post by vanotee »

GuestToo wrote:if you copy the 3 or 4 files on the cd to the hard drive, Puppy is 99% installed

actually, Puppy is 100% installed (frugal install), if you consider the boot loader program to be a separate program, and not an integral part of Puppy
GuestToo: W2K on 15G NTFS Partition. Pup save file and the other two files are on a 9G Fat32 Partition. I use the CD to boot. Installed Windows RED Hat Grub Loader and it boots W2K. What additional CD files are needed to complete the puppy install to the Fat so that puppy boots with the Grub Loader.

vanotee

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#9 Post by GuestToo »

copy the 4 files to C drive ... vmlinuz, initrd.gz, pup_xxx.sfs, zdrv_xx.sfs (where xxx is the Puppy version, for example, 216)

put something like this in menu.lst (or grub.conf if you installed Grub fron Red Hat):

for Puppy 216:

title = Puppy
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz PMEDIA=idehd
initrd /initrd.gz

(assumes all the files are in the same place, not in any folders)

for Puppy 215 and earlier:

title = Puppy2
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PMEDIA=idehd
initrd /initrd.gz

Puppy 1.x is a little different

i don't know if Grub can boot from an ntfs partition ... i don't have any ntfs partitions ... if you can boot Win 2k with Grub, it should be able to boot Puppy

twodees

#10 Post by twodees »

That should work using GRUB for the two machines I have with LINUX OS. If I leave the live CD in the drive, that should bypass GRUB and boot from the CD, correct?

Thanks for the programming help. This puts me way up the road from where I was. ;-)

vanotee

#11 Post by vanotee »

GuestToo wrote:i don't know if Grub can boot from an ntfs partition ... i don't have any ntfs partitions ... if you can boot Win 2k with Grub, it should be able to boot Puppy
GuestToo: When W2K first loaded it loaded to Fat32 later Windows Red Hat was installed. Still later a separate 9G Fat32 was setup for Puppy. W2K Fat32 then changed to NTFS. Red Hat boots W2K on the NTFS just great. Thanks for the info. I'll post back on the other.

vanotee

post back:

Puppy is installed on its own partition. format 10GB partition ex2. Format 1GB Swap. More hardrive then required, but why not. Duel boot with Red Hat Grub loader. Since Puppy is on partition #2 the only change to your direction follows:

title Puppy at (hd0,1)
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PMEDIA=idehd
initrd /initrd.gz

Grub boots both systems. Great! 8)

Thanks again

vanotee
DragonflyBSD 1.8.1
pup_2.15CE