isa sound card not recognized

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer audio hardware
pup2learn222

isa sound card not recognized

#1 Post by pup2learn222 »

no sound in 2.12 & 2.13

2 machines with creative sound cards was not recognized by alsa in setup
1 card awe64.

This is my workaround which worked for me, it is work but works :lol: .
I deleted the files in the root on hard drive <live cd boot> the 202ce
was used as the puppy candidate. This also has alsa 1.0.8 which doesnt work,
so I downloaded alsa 1.0.1 & installed pup file overwriting originals.
http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Libraries/als ... 0-0124.pup

Now alsa 1.0.1 recognized both machines isa sound card.

Note on old machine 350,284ram was hd drive install,just backdated
alsa software & it worked.

The newer 800 machine with awe64 card is a live cd boot.
Next I was able to upgrade to 2.13 puppy, but if you try to use alsa 1.0.8
in new version there goes sound reinstalling old alsa will bring it back though.

You may be asking why didnt I just use alsa 1.0.1 on new version 2.13, well I did but wouldnt work & I did reboot machine.

Only into puppy linux for 4 months or so I do not know how how to fix via the alsa web site, there may be a fix other than this one above.So this is
my work around & hope it will help others.

WhoDo

Re: isa sound card not recognized

#2 Post by WhoDo »

pup2learn222 wrote:no sound in 2.12 & 2.13

2 machines with creative sound cards was not recognized by alsa in setup 1 card awe64.
You sound experienced (no pun intended) so I hesitate to ask, but for the sake of completeness: Did you use alsaconf from from the rxvt terminal to find a legacy driver for your cards, and were you using the zdrv or fulldrivers versions of 2.12 and 2.13 respectively?

Just a question, nothing more.

Cheers

pup2learn222

isa sound

#3 Post by pup2learn222 »

yes I tried in console which is rxvt terminal.
zdr 2.12 and 2.13 fulldrivers iso & md5 ok & so was burn checked ok.

xandas

#4 Post by xandas »

My workaround was to copy /lib/modules folder from Puppy 2.02 (opera, John Murga work, ¡sound distro!) in the /lib/ directory.
This put to work the Alsa sound wizard O.K., in the 2.13, 2.14 and Pizzapup final.
Xan.

DavidMaas

#5 Post by DavidMaas »

So isn't it possible to put that modules folder from pup202-opera somewhere online? so not everybody has to download extra iso and burn it to just get the sound working?
Just an idea, Greetz
Dave

xandas

Older sound cards detection workaround in Puppy 2.12/2.15

#6 Post by xandas »

Sorry for the delay, here is the "modules" folder from John Murga Puppy 2.02 .
Replace the /lib/modules folder with the unzipped one.

This workaround allows Alsa detect legacy sound cards in Puppy versions 2.12, 2.13, 2.14 and 2.15

Xan

WhoDo

Re: Older sound cards detection workaround in Puppy 2.12/2.1

#7 Post by WhoDo »

xandas wrote:Replace the /lib/modules folder with the unzipped one.

This workaround allows Alsa detect legacy sound cards in Puppy versions 2.12, 2.13, 2.14 and 2.15
Thanks, xandas. I have added this to the upcoming Puppy 2.15CE RC1

Cheers
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

DavidMaas

#8 Post by DavidMaas »

Yes, very nice, works perfect. Also nice to hear that it will be incorporated in 2.15
Greetz

tempestuous

#9 Post by tempestuous »

John Murga's MeanPuppy-2.02 http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=10427
was based on Puppy 2.02, which had a 2.6.16.7 kernel.
But xandas' package when uncompressed indicates the modules are from a 2.6.18.1 kernel, which is what Puppy 2.12/2.13/2.14 has.
I compared several kernel modules in this package to those in 2.14, and they are size-identical.

What I'm saying is that this module package appears to be no different to the modules already in Puppy 2.14 ... except that Puppy's ALSA modules are stored separately in the compressed "zdrv" file, and maybe this is the real cause of the problem. alsaconf may have a problem extracting the modules it needs from the zdrv file. If this is true, the solution would be to "pre-uncompress" the ALSA modules from the zdrv and copy them into the appropriate locations in /lib/modules/...
WhoDo explained how to do this here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 1735#91735

Anyway, mixing modules from different kernel versions is likely to result in WORSE results, not better.
In fact, in many instances, an ALSA module from a different kernel will fail to load altogether.

If ALSA is being troublesome, rather than messing with the modules I believe a sensible approach is to match the ALSA libraries and utilities to the version of ALSA modules currently in Puppy 2.14 - http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=16495

Also, alsaconf is not the holy grail. It's perfectly feasible to configure ALSA manually.
For Creative AWE64, since this card is ISA, first find out its hardware settings - irq, dma1, dma2
Now to /etc/modprobe.conf add this -

alias snd-card-0 snd-sbawe
alias sound-slot-0 snd-sbawe
options snd-sbawe isapnp=no irq=? dma8=? dma16=?

Now reboot.

pup2learn222

Re: Older sound cards detection workaround in Puppy 2.12/2.1

#10 Post by pup2learn222 »

Thank you xandas will try later tonight will let you know, I was able to get sound by doing modprobe sb & editing a file for bootup rc.local, dont remember but will undo that to try your module thing.
xandas wrote:Sorry for the delay, here is the "modules" folder from John Murga Puppy 2.02 .
Replace the /lib/modules folder with the unzipped one.

Xan

DemertX

#11 Post by DemertX »

Also, alsaconf is not the holy grail. It's perfectly feasible to configure ALSA manually.
For Creative AWE64, since this card is ISA, first find out its hardware settings - irq, dma1, dma2
Now to /etc/modprobe.conf add this -

alias snd-card-0 snd-sbawe
alias sound-slot-0 snd-sbawe
options snd-sbawe isapnp=no irq=? dma8=? dma16=?

Now reboot.
Can I add the same things in modprobe.conf with a Creative SB 32 Pnp Isa?

tempestuous

#12 Post by tempestuous »

Yes. It's just a question of exactly which model of sound card you have, and what is the correct driver.
If your card is the Sound Blaster 32 AWE PnP, then the correct driver is snd-sbawe

DemertX

#13 Post by DemertX »

tempestuous wrote:Yes. It's just a question of exactly which model of sound card you have, and what is the correct driver.
If your card is the Sound Blaster 32 AWE PnP, then the correct driver is snd-sbawe
I should have a value Sound Blaster 32 Isa (not AWE),what's the correct driver?

tempestuous

#14 Post by tempestuous »

Check the Creative listings on the ALSA website -
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/in ... ative_Labs

I don't see "Sound Blaster 32 Isa" listed, so it might be best to visually identify the name printed on the chipset on your sound card.
Examples - emu8000, ES1370

bobn9lvu

#15 Post by bobn9lvu »

The SB 32 and SB AWE 32 used the same EMU chips.
Here is the differences;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_Blas ... ster_AWE32 :shock:

Bob 8)
[color=blue][size=150][b]Puppy Linux - [/b][/size][/color][color=red][size=150][b]Lift your leg at Redmond.[/b][/size][/color] :P :twisted: :P

tytower

Built in sound board not detected by 2.15

#16 Post by tytower »

I have a motherboard with built in sound and it works fine in 2.14 but 2.15 reports it can't find a sound board . What's different that could be messing this up ?

tempestuous

#17 Post by tempestuous »

tytower

#18 Post by tytower »

tempestuous- that reference above relates to legacy cards . Mine is an AC97 codec card and not to my knowledge a legacy card. Ceryainly it does not appear in the legacy card list that does come up after ythe patch is applied.

This is a more basic problem which 2.14 did not have-lots of sound cards not recognised is what I am seeing on the forums

BTW excuse double post on this as I did not see it appear here and posted it again separately the next day

tempestuous

#19 Post by tempestuous »

The title of this thread is "isa sound card not recognized".
In 2007, ISA-based sound cards are most certainly legacy devices. I don't believe it's possible to buy an ISA sound card on today's market.

And we still don't know the exact details of your sound card.
tytower wrote:lots of sound cards not recognised is what I am seeing on the forums
Yes, ISA sound cards, for the reason explained in the above link.

Puppy 2.15 has ALSA libraries matched to the ALSA kernel modules, and there are some reports of BETTER sound card recognition/compatibility -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 071#112071

tytower

#20 Post by tytower »

tempestuous wrote:The title of this thread is "isa sound card not recognized".
In 2007, ISA-based sound cards are most certainly legacy devices. I don't believe it's possible to buy an ISA sound card on today's market.

And we still don't know the exact details of your sound card.
tytower wrote:lots of sound cards not recognised is what I am seeing on the forums
Yes, ISA sound cards, for the reason explained in the above link.

Puppy 2.15 has ALSA libraries matched to the ALSA kernel modules, and there are some reports of BETTER sound card recognition/compatibility -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 071#112071
OK -None so dumb as the saying goes
As I said my card is built in to the motherboard as I said .Don't know what it is but it isnt ISA apparently.

There seems to be some problems with 2.15CE (in network card recognition too)and your post directed me to where the patches can be got. Good enough and the patch makes the alsa wizard work as it should. Fine, but it does not affect the 2.15 not getting my card . I still have no sound and I am still trying to correct this. You want to knock me thats fine . Post it in the other thread I have posted and we will continue and in the meantime someone knowledgeable may turn up to give me a clue how to fix my problem