get wireless working

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy

get wireless working

#1 Post by Guest »

bugger the graphics and crap like that....get wireless working properly

rarsa

#2 Post by rarsa »

Ddo youu want fries with that??

I'm wireless and have pretty graphics. And I say please when I request something ;)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

I'm brainless and have a pretty face. Please don't hate me because I'm beautiful. :lol:

Bladehunter has done a lot to make wireless work in Puppy. Let him vent a bit.

Actually, I do think bladehunter has a point. There is an embarrassment of window managers for Puppy, with many themes for each, while useful things like wireless and dial-up modems languish.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

assembler programming applied to communication skills . . . ?
m m m . . .

I vote for both. Wifi and a nice container. Is that possible?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Rich

#5 Post by Rich »

I vote for both. Wifi and a nice container. Is that possible?

it's my experience with Linux that just about anything is possible, although not always straight forward.

In saying that though...............surely it's best to have the mechanics of the package sorted before the cosmetics.
A rusty, worn out car with a nice paintjob is still a rusty worn out car.
A bare metal Ferrari is still a Ferrari !

Pizzasgood

#6 Post by Pizzasgood »

Not to mention faster because it doesn't have all the little useless do-dads adding weight. Just give it an engine, tranny, chasis, seat, controls and a radio and you're set. Upholsery just gets dirty, cupholders break, windows crack, and doors slam your fingers. You don't need ac either, just drive faster :twisted:

I too agree about the wireless. One of Puppy's biggest selling points is that it "Just works." Except for wireless. Then it falls back to the standard "Linux is a pain to set up" cliche. Lacking internet access was the only thing keeping me away from Puppy. I had a winmodem, so I didn't even bother trying to get it running. I knew we were going to set up DSL and a wireless network soon so I waited and saved money for my wireless card. Once I got the card installed, I hopped into Puppy, only to find that he didn't like wireless cards. I knew I could make it work if I hit it hard enough, though, so I went for help. Thanks to Bladehunter and trial and error, I finally got it running. It was a pain in the but, though. And I think I probably had one of the easier cards to set up. The average Joe, with less drive, knowlege, and desire to use Linux than I have, would have said "Screw it, Windows works well enough."
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

rarsa

#7 Post by rarsa »

flash wrote:I'm brainless and have a pretty face. Please don't hate me because I'm beautiful.
well, besides having wireless and a nice interface, I seem to also have a brain and a decent face (OK, most women think it's better than just decent, but they may be wrong ) :P

I did not realize that it was bladehunter before answering. Now I see his comment from a different perspective.

Actually when responding I was about to mention that bladehunter was activelly working on that.

I admit, as everything else works in my puppy, I've been focusing on the looks, (hey, I already have videoconferencing).

Do you need a hand, bladehunter? How can I help to improve the wireless experience?