How do I make changes to "Menu" selected & sub select progs?

Booting, installing, newbie
Tui

How do I make changes to "Menu" selected & sub select progs?

#1 Post by Tui »

I have D/L such progs as QCAD; GQVIEW and want then setup with
desktop start icons , adding to the ' MENU' start tool bars, I know how to do all this
with MS-WINDOWS but not in the LINUX way

Some of these progs have download files with extensions of .TAR.GZ ;
.SRC.TAR.GZ etc. Help please.

Cheers Tui

WhoDo

Re: HOW DO I MAKE CHANGES TO "MENU" SELECTED & SUB SELECT P

#2 Post by WhoDo »

Tui wrote:I have D/L such progs as QCAD; GQVIEW and want then setup with desktop start icons , adding to the ' MENU' start tool bars, I know how to do all this with MS-WINDOWS but not in the LINUX way

Some of these progs have download files with extensions of .TAR.GZ ; .SRC.TAR.GZ etc. Help please.
If you installed QCad using the Puppy Software Installer, all you need to do is drag the application to the desktop.

Getting it to appear in the menu system depends on which version of Puppy you are using and which window manager.

Under Puppy 2.15CE you can use the alien-to-xdg program to create a .desktop file for XDG menus. Then run fixmenus and restart your Window manager - either Icewm or JWM.

Hope that helps.

BTW, .tar.gz, is just a compressed file like ZIP. Clicking on it should show you what's inside and let you decompress. Anything with SRC will need to be compiled before use, so you'll need the devx_2xx.sfs module at least.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

Bruce B

#3 Post by Bruce B »

In my case I've been using a text editor to maintain my menus.

Presently, my main OS is 2.14, I have an alias to make it easy to open menus:

alias editjwm='nedit ~/.jwmrc ~/.jwmrc-tray ~/.jwm/jwmrc-personal &'

You would not have nedit, unless you installed it, so geany would be the editor to use.

Now XDG is added to automate the maintenance of menu items, I'll probably stick with the old way of doing things for a while. Moreover I'm nervous to run XDG because my menus are so far away from defaults, it think it wouldn't work.

Some, maybe many, of the packages for Puppy were written pre-xdg. For this reason, I think even if you use xdg, it would be good to know how to manage menu items with xdg and a text editor. (But you wouldn't do it with the alias I posted above. You would want to work directly with xdg's system).

Xdg is a work in progress, as far as I know, rasa is working very hard on it. I think it will take some know-how and patience on our part for the next few releases, until Puppy and its packages become mostly xdg compatible.

Like WhoDo, I also hope this helps. If you still have some specific questions - please ask.

acaza

#4 Post by acaza »

Possibly I'm way out of line here, but from a noob's perspective, I note that you (Tui) only say that you've downloaded the programs. Have you also installed them? The tarball endings don't matter after installation, so I was wondering.

I may be making a fool of myself, but I figured I'd check. If you've already installed and are just trying to edit menus, then do what they said. But if all you've done is download some archived files, then you need to install before worrying about menus.
aspiring hacker trapped in the mind of a linux noob, using Puppy 2.14 multisesson DVD on Dell XPS M1210