Any chance of CUPS becoming a part of puppy?

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy

Any chance of CUPS becoming a part of puppy?

#1 Post by Guest »

Puppy is perfect..........except for the lousy printer support.It is the only reason I am not using it.Any chance of getting CUPS to work with puppy?To paraphrase Darth Vader:"Then puppys skills will be complete"!! :D

#2 Post by Guest »

Probably not...it makes too much sense......Maybe it's not pretty enough....Not cutesy pie enough....Some reckon it don't work (go figure).....Or maybe the web interface is too easy to setup ?

I know someone did mention something about space, which is probably valid, but then again people get all excited about KDE

Have a look at the rest of the forums...prettiness and windows emulation seem to be the big thing......Oh yeah and don't forget that 99.9999% of people who have a problem think they are special and it only happens to them

Walt H

#3 Post by Walt H »

Well, I know I'm special, but it has nothing to do with what problems I do or don't have. :)

As far as CUPS is concerned, I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to seeing it as an option in Puppy but not the only option. I have a 13-year old ink jet printer that I can almost never get working in CUPS (and when it does work, it's only at 180dpi rather than 360). However, this printer always works just fine with apsfilter and lpr. For those of us who don't network printers, CUPS seems like it is overkill. I think I've made this comment before. And depsite the "pretty" interface and the comments of others notwithstanding, I don't find setup in CUPS to be nearly as easy as apsfilter. Perhaps that's because I know it's going to work.

For whatever reason, my old printer is not supported under CUPS (I have to try a similar printer's driver and hope it works), yet it is supported under the supposedly crappier setups such as apsfilter and lpr. Go figure.
Walt

Now that you point it out to me, the answer seems painfully obvious.

ytaqui

CUPS and ALSA (PUPPY 1.0.5) ?

#4 Post by ytaqui »

Por favor coloquem CUPS e ALSA no novo PUPPY 1.0.5
PLEASE PUT CUPS and ALSA in the NEW PUPPY 1.0.5.

#5 Post by Guest »

oh yes o' great lord your wish is our command.......it will happen just for you cos you are special and use big letters...ID Ten Tea

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#6 Post by Lobster »

As far as I know ALSA is being incorporated (that because info on its implementation was provided)
Printing is more compex and I know work has been done on it. What is the current position? (never printed from Puppy myself)

It is possible that the KDE component will have CUPS - but do not know this. Does anyone use chmod (to another Linux) or some other method to print with CUPS?

Is there some way of creating a dotpup of a program that perhaps can offer CUPS printing?

Who is using printing successfully what are you using?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

ytaqui

#7 Post by ytaqui »

Lobster wrote:As far as I know ALSA is being incorporated (that because info on its implementation was provided)
Printing is more compex and I know work has been done on it. What is the current position? (never printed from Puppy myself)

It is possible that the KDE component will have CUPS - but do not know this. Does anyone use chmod (to another Linux) or some other method to print with CUPS?

Is there some way of creating a dotpup of a program that perhaps can offer CUPS printing?

Who is using printing successfully what are you using?
OK. THANKS.

ytaqui

#8 Post by ytaqui »

bladehunter wrote:oh yes o' great lord your wish is our command.......it will happen just for you cos you are special and use big letters...ID Ten Tea
PUPPY

rarsa

#9 Post by rarsa »

I've compiled CUPS. I'm able to see my printers in another computer (Fedora) and CUPS recognizes the printer connected to the puppy computer.

I still need to solve some security issues that prevent me from printing.

I will have to play with the cupsd.config file.

Does anyone have experience with configuring the cupsd.config?

I'll create a dotpup to install CUPS if I cannot overcome the security issues, mnaybe someone else will.

I'll keep you posted in this thread.

Good work!!

#10 Post by Guest »

Good work,rarsa,a dotpup would be the ticket as not everyone needs it.All of my printers (6 so far...)work with it,and none work with the current setup.I will check back regularly,and I thank you for your effort. :D

klhrevolutionist

yes

#11 Post by klhrevolutionist »

cups can be outfitted for puppy, and I'm glad rarsa started before me thank you once again
rarsa!!!
Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!

rarsa

Cautious good news

#12 Post by rarsa »

Just so you know that I haven't forgotten you.

After many long hours trying to have CUPS printing and I have cautious Good News!

This is the current status:

- I've installed CUPS 1.1.23 under puppy 1.0.5 alpha
- I've configured cupsd.conf in a way that puppy likes it.
- I've installed cups drivers for my printer.
- I've installed ESP Gohstscript 7.07.1 as my printer requires it.
- I can add, remove and otherwise manage printers using the CUPS web interface.
- I can print the CUPS test page on a printer connected to the puppy computer.
- I can print from any application on my Fedora computer to the printer connected to the puppy computer.

This is what I cannot do
- I cannot print from puppy applications to the printer connected to the puppy computer. My guess is that Barry put something to intercept the calls to the device in order to enable printing in puppy.

Next steps
- Request help from Barry (or someone else) regarding the interception of the print streams.
- Try to recreate the successfull installation of CUPS under pupy 1.0.4. I've tried so many things that I have to retrace my steps to see what worked and what was superfluous.

So there you have it. Puppy almost has CUPS.

rarsa

#13 Post by rarsa »

Update!

I can print from Puppy!

So the last leg of this journey will be to retrace my steps and do a pristine installation.

Once I'm done I will open another thread.