How to use _2.15.sfs file in Puppy Linux 2.0.0?

Booting, installing, newbie
roywknijn
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia. Soon will move to Sydney, Australia

How to use _2.15.sfs file in Puppy Linux 2.0.0?

#1 Post by roywknijn »

Dear moderator,

I´ve been succesfull installing Puppy Linux into my harddisk and running smoothly. I use Puppy Linux ver 2.0.0
But I have one problem, I want to use Open Office program and I read we can use sfs file to install into Puppy Linux. I´ve already download the sfs Open Office file, there are web_215.sfs and OOo_215.sfs but I don´t know how to install or put those files in what directory. Somebody, please help me...

acaza

#2 Post by acaza »

I'm a beginner too, not a moderator, but these instructions may help (from http://www.puppylinux.org/user/news.php?readmore=47):
To use: Copy the sfs file to the same folder that your pup_save file is in - usually /mnt/home (or in other words the top-level folder of your hard disk), then reboot Puppy. All the files from the sfs file are then available in the normal way.
However, this is meant for version 2.15, and it may be different for 2.0.0. Have you tried this already? Also, is there a reason for choosing an older version, instead of 2.14 of 2.15?

One more thing, I believe there's a limit of 3 sfs files. You can use OpenOffice and web and maybe one more, but not all of them at once.

(If I'm wrong, please someone correct me).

arran
aspiring hacker trapped in the mind of a linux noob, using Puppy 2.14 multisesson DVD on Dell XPS M1210

bugman

#3 Post by bugman »

The above fix does not do the trick; it's the same advice I gave someone else in a different thread on the same topic--and I was WRONG :oops: :oops: :oops:

Somewhere in here is a thread on an sfs installer for the 215.sfs files. I have no idea whether this works for 2.0 or not.

I wish the constant up-versioning within a release (2.0, 2.12, 2.14, 2.15, etc.) didn't change the way the thing functioned so much. Shouldn't it have to switch to 3.x after so many alterations?

gary101

#4 Post by gary101 »

If the end result that you are after is to have Open Office installed it would probably be simpler for you to download the openoffice.org2.0.pup from here:
http://puppyfiles.org/dotpupsde/dotpups ... fice-2.04/

To install it just click on the downloaded dotpup and that is it.

Hope this helps

Gary

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

Yes, if you are really using Puppy 2.0.0 (I don't recall such a version) then I don't think .sfs files will work, or at least not the ones meant for Puppy 2.15. Either you must install the OpenOffice .pup file, or upgrade to Puppy version 2.15CE. I don't recommend upgrading, just yet, as 2.15CE seems to be a bit buggy.