Problem with .xinitrc ?

Please post any bugs you have found
Bruce B

Problem with .xinitrc ?

#1 Post by Bruce B »

I'm submitting what I think is a long standing bug in .xinitrc

I think the lines that read xrdb -merge need to read xrdb -merge -nocpp in order to work.

Walt H seems to be of a similiar opinion. Refer to this thread for additional details

http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic.php?t=1789

But I'm probably wrong :oops:

Walt H

Re: Problem with .xinitrc ?

#2 Post by Walt H »

Bruce B wrote:I think the lines that read xrdb -merge need to read xrdb -merge -nocpp in order to work.
This does seem to be true if you want the changes to remain in effect each time you boot up Puppy. Otherwise, you have to run the xrdb -nocpp -merge command each time you start up Puppy before launching the application you changed. Would running it as xrdb -merge -nocpp make any difference here. I don't know enough to know whether that's a dumb question. :?
Walt

Now that you point it out to me, the answer seems painfully obvious.

Bruce B

#3 Post by Bruce B »

Walt H wrote:
Bruce B wrote:Would running it as xrdb -merge -nocpp make any difference here. I don't know enough to know whether that's a dumb question. :?
Yes. With the -nocpp in .xinitrc, .Xdefaults merge and without it the don't on my computer.

Walt H

#4 Post by Walt H »

Bruce B wrote:
Walt H wrote:Would running it as xrdb -merge -nocpp make any difference here. I don't know enough to know whether that's a dumb question. :?
Yes. With the -nocpp in .xinitrc, .Xdefaults merge and without it the don't on my computer.
I didn't phrase my question very well.:oops: What I'm wondering is whether it matters if the -nocpp flag comes before or after the -merge flag. I have it first in my.xinitrc file (xrdb -nocpp -merge ~/.Xresources) rather than second (xrdb -merge -nocpp ~/.Xresources). I understand that the -nocpp flag needs to be present in .xinitrc for the changes to remain in effect each time you start Puppy. Hopefully, my wording is a bit clearer.
Walt

Now that you point it out to me, the answer seems painfully obvious.

Bruce B

#5 Post by Bruce B »

Frankly, Walt I didn't understand. I doubt it would matter the sequence. I guess my habit is to work from left to right and that's why I inserted the flag where I did.

The way I learned about xrdb was like this:

# xrdb --help

If you read the --help output there is nothing to indicate the sequence you are talking about is a factor in the functionality of the two flags.

Also as I read .xinitrc it is supposed to automatically merge .Xresources, meaning to say, the only change I made to it was add the -nocpp

Well, also I decided to try it out for starting my mosted used app on boot which is mrxvt, and it works great for that.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#6 Post by BarryK »

Bruce B wrote:I'm submitting what I think is a long standing bug in .xinitrc

I think the lines that read xrdb -merge need to read xrdb -merge -nocpp in order to work.

Walt H seems to be of a similiar opinion. Refer to this thread for additional details

So, are you saying the this code in .xinitrc:

Code: Select all

if [ -f $sysresources ]; then
    xrdb -merge $sysresources
fi

if [ -f $sysmodmap ]; then
    xmodmap $sysmodmap
fi

if [ -f $userresources ]; then
    xrdb -merge $userresources
fi
both xrdb lines should have the -nocpp option inserted?

Bruce B

#7 Post by Bruce B »

BarryK wrote:
Bruce B wrote:I'm submitting what I think is a long standing bug in .xinitrc

So, are you saying the this code in .xinitrc:

Code: Select all

if [ -f $sysresources ]; then
    xrdb -merge $sysresources
fi

if [ -f $sysmodmap ]; then
    xmodmap $sysmodmap
fi

if [ -f $userresources ]; then
    xrdb -merge $userresources
fi
both xrdb lines should have the -nocpp option inserted?
That is precisely what I'm saying

BarryK
Puppy Master

#8 Post by BarryK »

Okay, will do.